• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Book on the Teachings of Claude Gordon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: New Book on the Teachings of Claude Gordon Reply with quote

A new book on the Teachings of Claude Gordon was released on IBooks yesterday by Jeff Purtle aptly titled "Hit it Hard and Wish it Well"and I would recommend that anyone working on or interested in this method have a look at it.

It is a very modern approach to Claudes teachings, with embedded videos of Claude in some chapters and also Jeff demonstrating things such as systematic approach, Clarkes technical studies plus much more. There are diagrams and illustrations giving greater insight into tongue level, lift fingers high and much more, and is a very innovative approach to method books.

The book is suited to players at any level, and as an online student living on the other side of the world, it is a great resource and would benefit other students on my position. The link below will take you to the book

http://www.hitithardwishitwell.com

Great reading!

Eric
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!
Take my money - take it all!

Downloading as I write this!!!

Although, I am hoping the video content isn't just stuff from the CG Masterclass DVD which I already own.
superviking805
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested but no go on the iPad.
How about an Android or PC version?
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else had trouble downloading it to their Apple computer? Mine's twice now gotten to the end of the 1.14GBs of downloading and then told me that the download failed.
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took a long time to download to my ipad, but eventually it worked.

Eric
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some sort of bug. Apple told me I to reboot and download in Safe Mode. Downloaded fine then.
Something just got out of whack on my machine it seems.
Zenith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that there is some sort of geographical restriction. Is it only available in US?
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Australia and purchased it, I just logged into my iTunes account in Australia and did it.
Eric
Zenith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably it's not available in my area. What a pity!

Last edited by Zenith on Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not send the author an email at jeff@purtle.com or a pm on here, he may have a solution for you
Cheers
Eric
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the book. The videos of Claude Gordon alone make it worth the price.
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on the value i am finding in Jeffs book.

I was a comeback player after some 30 years off the horn and i have taken regular weekly lessons via Skype with Jeff for almost 5 years and i cant thank him enough for his guidance and friendship over that time.

I am 62 and embarking on a few travel ventures whilst my wife and i have our health etc which makes it nearly impossible to do weekly lessons so i have had to reluctantly stop them for now, i will be having sporadic lessons maybe every couple of months with Jeff as the difference he has made to my playing just proves that regular, consistent practice addressing all of the 7 items works if the student puts in the work required.

As i am now having to write my own lesson plan, this book is like a road map to follow, Chapter 9 provides a step by step plan of what to practice and the detail is amazing, even if you havent had lessons with a CG teacher, this book shows you how to put together a lesson plan which we all need for our playing to improve otherwise we just practice a bit of this or a bit of that and end up going nowhere. I really wish i had Jeffs template for the lesson plan rather than my handwritten ones!

If you havent got the book yet, just do it! The investment will repay you in so many ways if given the time it deserves. I believe Jeff has a booth at ITG later this month so make sure you stop by!
Cheers
Eric V
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a booth at the International Trumpet Guild Conference in the Pacific Room next to Bob Reeves Mouthpieces. There will be an iPad and headphones at the booth. Take a look and listen and say "hi." Have fun at ITG! I will.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
GuillaumeM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am new on this forum and my first message would be on that topic. I had a few conversation with Jeff Purtle by email, and he convinced me to buy his new book.
I bought a few months ago Trumpet Daily Routine, Systematic Approach To Daily Practice, and Brass Playin is no Harder than Deep breathing, all books by Claude Gordon.
The thing is that I didn't really know how to use them and what was expected.
In the book Hit it Hard and Wish it Well by Jeff Purtle, all video by Claude Gordon are really a must seen to understand his approach, at least a little. That will never replace a lesson with him personally though. Anyway, this book is divided in parts, according to Claude Gordon natural elements. Jeff explains what is the philosophy of each natural element.
In the end, and all through the book, he added videos of himself showing how to work out some Clarke's execices or Gordon's ones, which are really really really interesting and light up a little the footnotes you can find on these books.
I have been playing the trumpet for 2 years now. I had no really practice routine, and unfortunately, my teacher here didn't give me any. Which makes me think to change...
Still, along with the books of Gordon, Clarke, St Jacome, Irons, this iBook is really a must have to understand the concept behind, and it will help you to organize your daily work ! How, what and when to practice is one of the key. And practice is the key! There's no magic out there. I love that principle which is basically so true.
I hope that this iBook will be available to all, by this I mean that there must be a version that should work on other stuff that Apple so that anyone can enjoy it !
Great job Jeff !

Cheers,

Guillaume
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

I'm very thankful that Lee Loughnane took time out of his busy schedule with Chicago to read and watch all the videos in my ebook. And, he called me excited to talk for an hour about the things in the book.

On January 1st, 2017 there will be a documentary on television about the band Chicago. Everyone should take a look at that show too.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but Lee has been a big time proponent of Claude Gordon's teaching and practicing method for many years. In the early '90's Lee was introduced to our fellow long-time CG Student Paul Witt who became Lee's private teacher. Since then, to this day Lee does all his playing and performing on a CG Selmer with a CG Personal mouthpiece, and sounds great doing it.

My wife Anne and I were privileged to attend the combined Chicago / Earth, Wind & Fire concert this past year at the United Center, complete with backstage passes provided by my (and Jeff's) good friend Bobby Burns, Jr. (we are all alumni along with Wayne Bergeron, Johnny Madrid, and Jon Papenbrook, and many other great musicians of the Los Angeles Jazz Workshop).

https://i.postimg.cc/SQ9YtLVq/IMG-5990.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/43Njpp79/Anne-Bobby-and-John.jpg

Both Bobby's and Lee's playing that night were studio-perfect. Bobby credits his Bill Adam upbringing at Indiana University for his success, and Lee credits the Claude Gordon method, material and way of practicing for his. In my opinion, these are the two best methods out there.

Cheers,

John Mohan

P.S. Edited to replace bad picture links with new ones.
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student

Last edited by John Mohan on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I print this book (Hit It Hard And Wish It Well) from my Microsoft computer and printer? Thanks, Kehaulani.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn’t you just ask this question earlier today in another post? In the Apple Books app I think you can print the text but there is no way to print an animated graphic or a movie or sound file to your printer. That’s why it’s an ebook and not a paper book. There are also some things I plan to release as free updates in the future that will involve 3D objects that can’t be printed. Sorry. I think the ebook format is a very exciting way to use media even though most people producing an ebook just scan music and text and make a pdf. The Apple Books format can also do some very cool things that no other platform can do. I have some unique plans on how to use that if I can ever get the time and money to get to some of those projects.

In the near future I will be posting more videos of my brass conferences on YouTube, which will be free. Subscribe to my YouTube to stay updated with new material and checkout what is there now. That’s free.

Jeff
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, Jeff. I guess I'll just wait and see if the book reemerge later in a more (for me) workable format.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read through much of Jeff's fantastic book (there's SO MUCH material in it!). The text is well-written and the media material is amazing - and much more of it than just snippets from the Selmer-produced Claude Gordon Masterclass video.

Honestly, I think it would be well worth it to any ambitious trumpet player to buy a low-end iPad in order to have access to this eBook. New ones start at $329 and I see refurbished ones selling at less than $150.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: