• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sherman Jazz Museum (Maynard Estate? Miles, Chet horns?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Def Trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Sherman Jazz Museum (Maynard Estate? Miles, Chet horns?) Reply with quote

Anybody been here? Says its the home of Maynard Ferguson's estate.

http://www.shermanjazzmuseum.com/index.html

Pics on the site say they have Miles and Chet's Martin's -- among other horns!
ACB 3CS
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This museum is great!

Bill Collins III, a super DFW pro player for many decades (and former 1:00 Lab Band lead player) orchestrated the deal with the UNT School of Music. UNT got Maynard's book (all the music), and the museum got all the gear (horns, bandstands, memorabilia, etc...)

Bill also has one of Don Jacoby's Conn Connstellations.

If you are in the N. Texas area and interested in Jazz and trumpet then you would be well served to visit the museum in Sherman Texas.
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up about this. Looks like a visit is in order. I see that Chet's trumpet still has the pawn shop tag on it
-Mark
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place looks great!!!! Would love to stop. Anyone here ever been to the home of Louis Armstrong in Queens? I have always wanted to go there as well...
terry horace
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dizzy's King in the Smithsonian?
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill didn't want to comment directly to avoid sounding like he was shilling for the museum, but he emailed me this comment about chet's horn:

Quote:
The tag on Chet's horn is from the auction company in England where I got it. I had to bid on the phone at 7 in the morning since it was afternoon over there. That horn cost $15,000 after I paid customs, shipping, and buyers fees. It's not mine---it belongs to the foundation, but still, I have to buy those things for the foundation. I left the tag on to show people more of it's history. From what I'm told, the Baker family only knows of this horn and one they own, that anyone can prove that Chet actually owned. Chet bought our trumpet from an instrument shop in L.A., and the Martin company has the records to show that the serial number of that horn was sold to Chet in 1956. Someone in England got the horn around 1960, and kept it until 2011.
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
The tag on Chet's horn is from the auction company in England where I got it. ....

I was just making a joke about Chet's pawned horn. The rumor is that he did that now and then. I hope to get up from Carrollton for a visit.
-Mark
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This museum and the collection it houses is AWESOME! I couldn't believe it when it opened. In my own home town!!! I grew up in Sherman, graduated high school there.

Anyway, the museum has the complete Maynard Ferguson archive, all its belongings, the Caddy, his horns, the Firebirds, his white jumper disco suit (It's My Time album), items having once belonged to Ellington, Stan Kenton, Jake, Diz, Miles, a HUGE collection of trumpet LPs, old play-back systems (record players, tape players, etc... tracing the evolution of recorded sound), just an incredible amount of important memorabilia.

You'd think someone like Bill Collins would occasionally pull a horn out and give it a blow, but he doesn't. Oh, it's amazing. The MF collection is amazing enough to make the trip.

Bill and his wife are really nice people. I know he's got a Facebook page for the museum and you'll need to check the website for days and hours. He generally closes a week or so in the summer. They've also had several panel discussions with some notable plays.

Check it out. It's a great place. It's funny they call it a "Jazz" museum. I refer to the place as "Trumpet Mecca"!

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in college I had a few lessons with Bill.. I remember he had alot of trumpet cases under his piano full of hidden Mt. Vernons and NY Bachs. You are right... he is first class. The world would be alot better with a bunch more guys like him in it!

Quote:
You'd think someone like Bill Collins would occasionally pull a horn out and give it a blow

Oh, I'll bet he played everyone of them in the comfort of his studio! He left all his crazy showing off playing on the porch of the Southern Palace at 6 Flags. LOL!
Def Trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! I wonder if this is the horn he recorded Playboys/The Route on with Art Pepper and Live in Europe 1956?

jiarby wrote:
Bill didn't want to comment directly to avoid sounding like he was shilling for the museum, but he emailed me this comment about chet's horn:

Quote:
The tag on Chet's horn is from the auction company in England where I got it. I had to bid on the phone at 7 in the morning since it was afternoon over there. That horn cost $15,000 after I paid customs, shipping, and buyers fees. It's not mine---it belongs to the foundation, but still, I have to buy those things for the foundation. I left the tag on to show people more of it's history. From what I'm told, the Baker family only knows of this horn and one they own, that anyone can prove that Chet actually owned. Chet bought our trumpet from an instrument shop in L.A., and the Martin company has the records to show that the serial number of that horn was sold to Chet in 1956. Someone in England got the horn around 1960, and kept it until 2011.

ACB 3CS
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Def Trumpet wrote:
WOW! I wonder if this is the horn he recorded Playboys/The Route on with Art Pepper and Live in Europe 1956?

jiarby wrote:

Quote:

I always thought/heard/read that his original 1950s Martin was stolen (maybe in Italy). And if you dig deep enough you'll notice there for a while he had no trumpet at all and that's when he played the Selmer flugelhorn on several recordings. Then he hit rock bottom and made a come back and you see him with a Connstellation, Besson student horn, etc., until finally the large bore Bach. It's interesting about the Martin cited above. Could this be the horn that was stolen?

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: