• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Quit Playing?????

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markrappmusic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: To quit or not to quit Reply with quote

Life is short. If you enjoy practicing and you enjoy playing the trumpet, then go and enjoy it and play. Don't over-think it. Play the prettiest, fullest sound you can produce and your body will figure out how to do that across the range of your horn. Concentrate on the sound coming out of your horn and playing musically and always, always sing what you're playing in your head while you're playing. If that one group pisses you off, quit that group and create your own playing situation. Start your own brass quintet. Go, live, enjoy.
bradenrapp.com
thurmancleveland

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with your teacher felix,She is the only one whom you can rely on..She would advice you properly...
Branson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read, the more I decide that trumpet playing is hard.

I thought it was easy.

I must be wrong.

I think I'll hang it up....again
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Branson wrote:

I thought it was easy.

It IS easy! You move air. There's a hole in the middle of it, just for the purpose of moving air. Just concentrate on the music ...
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get those high notes. I'm a firm believer in "everyone can do it." A good friend of mine was "stuck" at high C for a while. He said he could play a high C in jr. high or high school, and now he was in his third year of college and still stuck there. He had resigned himself to the fact that this was as high as he could get. I gave him a few tips on playing up high and opened his mind a bit concerning using different gear and now he's got up to Eb after only about a month or two (and I know he wasn't practicing range THAT hard)... on the SAME mouthpiece that he was playing on before.
Anyone can do it. Don't give up. Keep an alert mind; try different things. Eventually you'll get it. Also, try a skype lesson with someone!

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
arttrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Dear Felix, I don't really know all the details, but if I could help you in anyway, please don't hesitate to let me know.
Here is my email:
arturo@arturosandoval.com
I was in Puerto Rico 2 weeks ago, it was a lot of fun!!!"
Arturo Sandoval.
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix, yes, that is really Arturo, and he is sincere in wanting to help you.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Branson wrote:

I thought it was easy.

I must be wrong.

I think I'll hang it up....again

Play from your heart. Whether you are an athiest, agnostic, Darth Vadar or a follower of the 'hero with a thousand faces' as Joseph Campbell describes, if the bell of your trumpet resonates with the song in your heart, hard or easy won't stop you.

Look at that singer Neil Young. He can sing 4 notes, 5 on a good day. But he gets his point across & he hasn't stopped yet.

Hold the trumpet, then let it carry you.
Felix c
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends:
4 years later of the original post I'm in the same place,
6 Months ago my trumpet teacher quit from me respectfully.
Since this day I feel no improvement.
Really I'm very sad.
Please advise and new ideas?
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Felix, don't despair, try contacting Pops McLaughlin. He has posted in this thread already. Or, if you have a Colin Advanced Lip Flexibilities book read all the material before the first exercise. Go to this website
https://www.purtle.com/
Look up tongue level stuff. If you have the will there's always a way, but sometimes the path is filled with twists and turns as I am sure you know.

It's been a while since I've played concerts in Puerto Rico,
Best of luck, stay on the journey.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
jscahoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No advice on teachers, just a note about attitude. Very few (if any) of us are as good on the trumpet as we would like to be. It's up to you to decide whether the frustration is too much to bear.

I know a fellow well into his 80s, who frankly isn't very good. But despite significant health problems he continues to play Taps at funerals, plays at Salvation Army kettles at Christmas, basically plays wherever he can. It's not about high notes, or being better than anyone. It's the sheer joy of playing the trumpet. I hope to be him someday.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix c wrote:
Dear Friends:
Really I'm very sad.

Hi Felix,

I'm very sorry for your frustration, and I have great respect for your tenacity.

I studied for 16 years with Claude Gordon and I play professionally for a living. I don't have any special talent - I was just taught what, when and how to practice and then I did the practicing. I'm sure I can help you. Let's get you on the right path!

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix c wrote:
Dear Friends:
Really I'm very sad.

http://johndanieltrumpet.com/

Really worked for me. I found it included much of what people recommended in a format that snuck up on me. Suddenly my range went up as did my endurance.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix c wrote:
Dear Friends:
Really I'm very sad.

I think that you did right quitting that band. Getting such a dose of negative moods/thoughts everytime is slowly eating up the joy, the motivation.....After all, investing time, emotion, practicing a lot with "no return-policy"?
There is always a risk that these negative moods spread into daily life. Very personal of course - nothing wrong with that. But I do get a subtle feeling it is sort of eating you.
In one of my bands excactly the same thing happened to me - always coming home muttering, irritated til my wife asked "how come you go play every fortnight only to come home so disappointed and frustrated". Band was disorganized, never any improvement, wills about direction very different etc. I just love playing that old-time swing, but - at any cost?? But playing is so dear to me, to be part of these harmonies.....to express your emotions through the horn....One ends up in a fix. You gotta decide and you did. Good for you. (turned out everyone else also frustrated so major crisis now in my band). But I have decided to quit unless.... Quite amazing this need to make progress, to move in a certain direction, to have goals, dreams. Seems fundamental.

In the same vein, your lack of progress! I would suggest, as others here, go get yourself a teacher, Skype!! 2 years ago I myself was on the verge of quitting, chops gone to the dogs, dispair all over the place - but I found a good teacher. So now I know how to play ( ) - and, recently, I stumbled over BE - and, man, what a phenomenal lift!
Who cares about horns, mpc:s any more? Well, decent class on horn, heavier or lighter, according to you wishes, mpc suited to everyday blowing, if you like the sound and it does not tax you too much higher up etc.
I did not really realize how much playing meant to me prior to the crises
kinda odd since Ive been playing all my life...
You seem to be an emotional guy, (un-emotionals beware!)which is a gift, really, a person who takes music seriously, but it has to be fun! Joyful! Deep down you know whats good for you. So take care of yourself!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix c wrote:
Dear Friends:
Really I'm very sad.

If you've not been paying for a lesson for 6 months you should have saved enough to get a couple Skype lessons from a great teacher. There are a lot of very talented and well-respected teachers on the TH. No disrespect to your previous teacher but sometimes it's just not a good fit. Try a lesson or two from Pops and see if you can't get moving in a new direction.

Best of luck.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix--You got a response from Arturo Sandoval!!! Do you know who he is? Did you follow up on that offer??? If not, go ahead and email him now. If he really is willing to help you, then, wow! Do it.

I hate the idea of anyone quitting. I love the trumpet so much that I can't imagine anyone not wanting to stick with it. But do stuff you enjoy. Organize your own band if necessary! You would make it fun for everyone, I'm sure.

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that you think about your trumpet playing in musical terms, not mechanical or athletic terms. Play the trumpet like you sing in the shower: with enthusiasm and passion! (What? Doesn't everyone sing in the shower?) In the same way, look for opportunities to play with others where the focus is on the music, not other distractions.

If trumpet playing becomes mostly an athletic endeavor ("How high can I play? How long can I play? How fast can I play?"), then you'll never be satisfied, because it will never be enough. Might not be that attractive to audiences either.

But if you let yourself be swept up in the music, you can develop your ability for musical art and expression, which would be really fun and satisfying. The better you get at that, the more others will sense it and enjoy hearing you play.
Piccolo Stomvi
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your wife and son sense your frustration with the group you're playing in than you should trust your instincts and your wife on that. Life is too short to suffer while playing even if the gig is paying. Find another group or put something together yourself or play duets with a friend for fun as an outlet until your skills improves to get more opportunities and have more fun.

This entire site is filled with information about playing. Read some of it and think it through and make a plan for your practice and do it everyday. I personally think Claude Gordon's way of approaching playing makes the most sense and will help anyone understand how correct playing is a universal thing. Knowing how to practice is the skill to gain. Equipment or just taking lessons isn't the solution. You have to practice in a way that will change and improve habits. It can be easy and fun.

Both Claude Gordon and Herbert L. Clarke would say to "practice in a happy frame of mind." You have to enjoy the practice. Take a break when you get frustrated otherwise it's just aimless blowing and won't help as much.

For myself I find practicing to be an escape. It allows me to forget about day to day worries and just enjoy improving and making music and conquering challenges.
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
mlctrumpet78

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Felix,

I enjoyed reading your post(s) and responses. Keep at it as long as you enjoy playing. I've been playing for 30 years now and have thought many times of quitting due to crap gigs, split lip in college, and other assorted issues. The trumpet is a beast we think we need to tame and forget it's an extension of our voice. I have spent many years studying and practicing and taking lessons and finally realized it's all about wind speed and trying to sing and hear my parts or my own improvised ideas and let the horn be an amplifier.

Also take gigs if you can that will benefit you and challenge you as a player not just the money. We play because we enjoy making music. That should always be the goal.

Best of luck.

MC
Felix c
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Friends:
I just was reading over there and fund a message from Dan and new responses. Thanks!!!!!!!!!! I'm cooking something with small improvements. The orchestra have no rehearsals, no Gigs and the only work its on Church every Sunday using the flugel just follow the melody and do some ornaments, Nothing written, so my ear its always on.
I have no found other opportunities here where I can participate. PR economy its on floor and this area is worse that's influences on music.
When I feel more advanced in this new working process.
Thanks for all of you and GOD always Bless
Felix
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: