• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dishonesty from a music retailer Slidebone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doccoker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Dishonesty from a music retailer Slidebone Reply with quote

Hi All,

Please be very cautious of dealing with Irvin Karan, the "Proprietor" of Slidebone.com based in New York.

www.slidebone.com www.irvinkaran.com

He made promises to provide two Yamaha trombones to me and happily took my money

At first he asked me to pay by Western Union Money Transfer to which I stated I would prefer to pay by Visa and how lucky I was. I now know why he wanted that payment method!

On March the 5th 2012 he promised me a 7-14 day delivery on these two trombones. After several emails of which Karan became quite abusive and threatening, I decided that despite all the promises, which turned out to be nothing less than lies, on May 25th, yes MAY 25th, after Karan giving me a ficticious Customs and tracking number, to advise Visa International Fraud Department who refunded my money. Just short of £3000.

Karan is nothing less than a liar a cheat and I believe a potential fraudster "Caveat Emptor."

Please take my advice and spend money with a reputable retailer.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems with him when he was selling on ebay as slidebonenyc. He doesn't use this name anymore, but might be on ebay using another name. Beware!
Slidebone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Dishonesty from a music retailer Slidebone Reply with quote

Greetings one and all.
This post was just brought to my attention by a colleague of mine.
After reading this, I never laughed so hard in my life.

Let me keep it really simple.

Back in 2012 Paul Coker of Portsmouth called and emailed to purchase 2 Yamaha Trombones.

1. He paid for them via VISA after declining Western Union where he would have said 10%. He claimed he did not have a cash flow nor had any liquidity.
2. They where ordered from Yamaha, received and then prepared for shipping.
3. 2 Yamaha Trombones where packaged in one parcel and shipped via USPS International Air Mail to the address Coker provided.
3. USPS Customs Form, including insurance valuing $9,000 USD where prepared and entered into USPS data base when the parcel was shipped.
4.Customs here in the US as well as the UK inspected this parcel, signed off and delivered to Coker.
5. Coker received this parcel which contained 2 trombones and signed for them. Proof of delivery with his signature is documented.

So folks we have here a very sad, frustrated, and un happy trombone player.

And the best part:

Coker paid for this order in full and was not legally eligible for any sort of refund. He thought he would file a fraudulent claim and defame me,but was fully investigated and found liable and guilty.

It seems he did not want to pay or perhaps could not really afford the purchase.

In closing, I did nothing wrong or dishonest and received a very beautiful letter from Visa ( Merchant Services) regarding this.

Coker seems not to be so credible since he hides behind the net, forums and changes his email and contact info.

And for the Bonus question...... Why would I or my business need to beat him or any one.

We have sold numerous trumpets, flugel horns, trombones, & bass trombones throughout the years to players all over the globe. All successful !!!!!!!!

Coker sale, parcel containing 2 Yamaha Trombones was insured for $9,000.00

If they where lost, stolen, or damaged, a claim would have been filed and USPS would have paid on it.

Forgive my bluntness, Dr. Paul Coker is nothing more than a hack and joke.

http://www.paulcoker.org.uk/

Paul Coker
32 Ecton Lane
Anchorage Park
Portsmouth, PO35TA
Hampshire, United Kingdom
+447921003030

Best regards

doccoker wrote:
Hi All,

Please be very cautious of dealing with Irvin Karan, the "Proprietor" of Slidebone.com based in New York.

www.slidebone.com www.irvinkaran.com

He made promises to provide two Yamaha trombones to me and happily took my money

At first he asked me to pay by Western Union Money Transfer to which I stated I would prefer to pay by Visa and how lucky I was. I now know why he wanted that payment method!

On March the 5th 2012 he promised me a 7-14 day delivery on these two trombones. After several emails of which Karan became quite abusive and threatening, I decided that despite all the promises, which turned out to be nothing less than lies, on May 25th, yes MAY 25th, after Karan giving me a ficticious Customs and tracking number, to advise Visa International Fraud Department who refunded my money. Just short of £3000.

Karan is nothing less than a liar a cheat and I believe a potential fraudster "Caveat Emptor."

Please take my advice and spend money with a reputable retailer.

doccoker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irvin,

An admirable post but as you know you're very economical with the truth....as always.

You were reported for fraudulent transactions and I was refunded by VISA. They're facts.

If I couldn't afford the instruments you wouldn't have received the money.

Go get a life. Either way, thanks for the publicity.

And for the record, that's not my address.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/Business-Reviews/musical-instruments-supplies-and-accessories/slidebone-inc-in-new-york-ny-108508
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't personally know Irvin, but years ago, I ordered from him an MB quad case. I had zero problems with him or his service. I don't intend to discredit other people, but I know it's easy to hide behind the internet and to shovel stuff at people you don't know. If his business practices have carried on in the same fashion as I enjoyed, I can say that Irvin provides a quality service.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never bought anything from the guy, but I can offer that on the tromboneforum site, he seems to be not only well-received, but widely supported by other members there.

For some reason, trumpet players don't seem to get along with him. Not sure why that would be.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I've never bought anything from the guy, but I can offer that on the tromboneforum site, he seems to be not only well-received, but widely supported by other members there.

For some reason, trumpet players don't seem to get along with him. Not sure why that would be.

I beg to differ.

A search of that site shows that he's just as "hot and cold" there as he is here:

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=53967.0

and

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,67034.msg931212.html#msg931212
jolmr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Trumpet quad case Reply with quote

For whatever it is worth, I just purchased two trumpet cases from Slidebone.
Price was good and the shipping was reasonable.The cases made it safe and sound, communication with Mr. Irvin was prompt.
In comparison to some deals I have made on ebay I would give these guys 5stars.
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a mouthpiece from him, and he brought it to my house personally, even faster than the manufacturer said they could make it. Pretty cool by me.

johnlakejazz.com
trumpetvinnie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Slidebone Reply with quote

I paid for a new case from Irvin back in the late Spring. Irvin wouldn't provide shipping info or an ETA. When I ask him about this repeatedly in a professional manner we canceled the order and promised me a refund. That was at the end of December 2014. He has now blocked me from his. This man is not an honest person and does not do what he says he's going to do.
trumpetvinnie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Irvin Karan Reply with quote

After a very long and fruitless business dealing with Irvin at Slidebone I requested that the company cancel my order and give me a refund. I received a refund minus some processing fees in late January. This was a full 6 months after I paid in full for a trumpet case that I never received. Irvin is very unprofessional and curt in his communications. At one point he told me that I was not a priority and that I would shut up and wait for my horn or else. I saved every email and have a trail of the entire deal. I would be glad to provide any and all with the details of this regrettable transaction. With all of that said Irvin finally did the right thing and gave me back most of my money.

This man has an over inflated image of his importance in the world in general. His claim to fame with me was that he had studied with the "top trombone teacher in the world". Irvin, it doesn't matter whether you are dealing with a high school student or a Grammy winning trumpet player, you should treat everyone with respect and professionalism. Do your research before saying or doing anything disparaging to anyone for whom you are supposed to be providing a service. Thank you for giving me most of my money back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: