• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Saliva Problem from Trumpet Playing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Von

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Saliva Problem from Trumpet Playing? Reply with quote

Hi. This guy I've been seeing for the past year has been playing the trumpet for 30+ years. He has two chipped teeth from playing and claims that extra saliva on his lips is probably due to either the chipped teeth or from his lips changing shape by his playing for so long.

Any comments or suggestions on this? The excessive saliva is a turn off.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be better posted in a relationship advice column.
Von

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other inquiries on this site regarding saliva issues pertaining to trumpets. Perhaps you haven't read them. What I'm really wanting is a confirmation of whether or not long time playing of a trumpet changes the lips and could cause the saliva problem. Thanks
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Von. I think your friend is mistaken. However, your question did send me on a search of threads here regarding saliva (which it sounds like you also accomplished.) Not surprisingly, most of the discussion was regarding the opposite problem of dry lips and lack of moisture. One suggestion I did read was to feed him saltine crackers Good luck!
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a symptom of something completely else ... see www.mayoclinic.com or, even better, a doctor.
Quote:

Causes of increased saliva production

Dentures that are new or don't fit well
GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease)
Infection in your mouth or throat
Medications, such as clonazepam (Klonopin), clozapine (Clozaril, Fazaclo ODT), pilocarpine (Salagen) and carbidopa-levodopa (Parcopa, Sinemet)
Pregnancy
Stomatitis (an inflammation of mucous membranes in your mouth)

Rarer causes of increased saliva production include:

Arsenic poisoning
Bell's palsy (a condition that causes facial muscle weakness or paralysis)
Esophageal atresia (a disorder present at birth in which the esophagus doesn't develop properly)
Mercury poisoning
Rabies (a deadly virus spread to people from the saliva of infected animals)
Syphilis (a bacterial infection usually spread by sexual contact)
Tuberculosis (an infectious disease that affects your lungs)

Some of these obviously do not apply, the rest is better to check out. In particular, has your friend been playing on raw brass mouthpieces or mouthpieces worn enough to expose brass?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Saliva Problem from Trumpet Playing? Reply with quote

Von wrote:
Hi. This guy I've been seeing for the past year has been playing the trumpet for 30+ years. He has two chipped teeth from playing and claims that extra saliva on his lips is probably due to either the chipped teeth or from his lips changing shape by his playing for so long.

Any comments or suggestions on this? The excessive saliva is a turn off.

Can't address the saliva question, but chipped teeth from playing? Not likely, unless at some point he inadvertently hit his teeth with the mouthpiece. It's possible, but not common.

Brad361
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: