• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

John McNeil's Flexus

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wcobb32

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: John McNeil's Flexus Reply with quote

Has anyone used the Flexus book and found it helpful? Been using it for a while and I am getting the same results. Any suggestions on how to use this book.
I am Custom Calicchio Trumpet in lacquer w/a 2 bell and 2 leadpipe. Please go to Calicchio.com to get the specs. Also willing to trade for an open horn with brushed raw/brushed laquer or brushed silver finish.
jazz-o-matic 12
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old private teacher gave me a daily routine to do out of that book. I thought it was the greatest thing in the world! I would sit down do my 25 minute daily routine, and I had monster chops in no time. I have since moved away from it though seeing as though I noticed the the exercises were promoting bad habits in my self; using too much pressure, over blowing, and being too "chop heavy."Now I take a more musical and ear based approach to my daily activities.

How are you using this book that you keep getting the same results?
Jazzfreak251

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I study with Laurie Frink and she has me focus on a select few exercises until they are easy. Only till then, that I move on. I encourage this way of practicing. It's probably not the material but the approach.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this book to be fabulous and a great extension of Carmine's concepts. It has a daily place on my music stand and in my routine. I find it to be a great balance to the drills in MCFB, with a greater emphasis on flexibility and finesse.

How are you using this book?

I would love to do a series of threads here like the Getting Started threads that guide a student through Flexus. However, I feel that would be wierd when John and Laurie are around to help.

Maybe I'll ask one of them to join here and chip in.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
ajr51

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great to have their input.
Wcobb32

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the entire book, but now I am using the prelim studies, and I think I have done some damage, what was the 25 minute plan, and what are you doing these days from a musical approach? It's good to have a resource of someone who has tries these studies.
I am Custom Calicchio Trumpet in lacquer w/a 2 bell and 2 leadpipe. Please go to Calicchio.com to get the specs. Also willing to trade for an open horn with brushed raw/brushed laquer or brushed silver finish.
carltrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also love to see a series of threads started that go into this book in detail - and of course the authors' input would be fantastic as well.

I've been working from this book daily for the past six months or so, and I've definitely benefited from it. But, I don't think I'm really using the book to its full potential. Some guidance would be good. I tend to work on 4 or 5 specific exercises for several weeks before moving on to anything else.... but I try to mix it up in terms of covering various sections of the book.

The CD that comes with it is helpful, too. Overall, I think it's a very good book, with interesting - and challenging - exercises and a fresh approach.
gennaro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is not in the book but in the guidance... as for all the calisthenics material.... overdoing is very easy... some exercises are written high.... but are for people ready to approach there... not for all.... not since the beginning.... are we ready to admit it to ourself?
A balanced routine allowed me to reduce pressure and improve a lot my embouchure.... but the routine has been tailored by miss Frink... she is the secret...
I'm afraid that a general routine does not exist.

Regards
Gennaro
LAF

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: FLEXUS Reply with quote

The exercises in Flexus are designed to be a supplement(rather than a replacement) to your daily practice and should be introduced into your routine gradually. When considering any type of "muscular" practice, factors that need to be considered are: the overall health of your embouchure and the ease with which it functions, your existing playing commitments ( i.e. school/ work), how much time you have to practice, and what your current routine already contains. As with any approach to practice, the exercises in Flexus are "prescriptive" in nature and are to be amended to suit your individual needs based on your strengths, weaknesses, level of development, and most importantly on 'how your embouchure responds' to the studies. Play only what is COMFORTABLE and know that this could vary greatly from day to day as the embouchure evolves and discovers better balance. The goal is an embouchure that is focused, responsive, moves freely and easily throughout the entire range, and maintains a consistent sound in every register.
Happy Practicing!
Laurie Frink
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Laurie!
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
LAF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wcobb32
If you'd like to make a list of exactly what you are practicing from Flexus and any other exercises in your daily routine, I'd be happy to make some suggestions.
Laurie Frink
swing95
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I use to do one exercise per day from each chapter of Flexus during 20 t0 25 minutes. I feel great after that. The great thing of Flexus is that I am free to choose what I need most, because there are so many great exercises and well documented.
Have a great day
Francisco
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: John McNeil's Flexus Reply with quote

Quote:
I find this book to be fabulous and a great extension of Carmine's concepts. It has a daily place on my music stand and in my routine. I find it to be a great balance to the drills in MCFB, with a greater emphasis on flexibility and finesse

Amen, Pat...this is exactly the approach I have taken with this book!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
CRJAZZMAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've LOVED Flexus since the day I got it about 4 years ago.

I must admit, having read Laurie's comments, that I tend to over use it.
Having said that, it is a great tool to get an embouchure on the right track when you're having trouble.
Every once in a while I go off on a tangent and try a different embouchure set up. After screwing myself up, Flexus pulls my but out of the fire every time!
King Legend .462 in silver
Bobby Shew Lead and Flugel mpcs
tpsiebs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,
As with the "Musical Calesthenics" it is not WHAT you're practicing but HOW you're practicing it that matters.
Tom
jazzmanwv
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad that Ms. Frink is on this forum to add her valuable insight! What a great contribution Flexus is to our "struggle." Kudos to her and John - thanks so much!

James
jcsmusic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great book!
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this book a while back and started using it recently. I can say it is a great book to add to any trumpet players library. Thanks.
tonytromba

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Flexus Reply with quote

Flexus is absoluetely the best modern day book to help with chops! Hnads Down! Everyone should buy this book. Even better to take a lesson with Laurie Frink who wrote the book!
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of this book, but I just ordered a copy. I'll try to follow the above advice on not over-using it when it arrives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: