• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lexan Polycarbonate kelly mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesshell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried these mouthpieces? Im thinking about getting one for marching band. Check out their website at http://www.mouthpiecewizard.com. The colors seem pretty cool.
Johann24

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This picture is from the order form on the website. It's supposed to be a trumpet mouthpiece but looks more like a novelty flashlight because of the suspiciously long shank. Maybe it's just the angle.

Anyway, back to the mouthpiece performance. There are widely varied views of the plastic mouthpieces. It's true that they don't conduct heat or cold, but are lacking in other ways. For example, they generally don't carry as much mass as brass mouthpieces. On the other hand, some people will argue that plastic won't give way to as many 'unwanted' vibrations, reducing the need for mass.

It wouldn't hurt to try one (only $20), but I wouldn't sacrifice sound for a bit of difference in how cold or hot your brass piece gets.

My 2¢

University of Rochester, Class of 2010
imjazd1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your $20 and put it toward a good mouthpiece. The sound on these mouthpieces is thin and not rich..even for marching band it's thin! If you're bothered by a cold mouthpiece try marching with your hand over it..parades especially. If all the trumpets do it it looks fine. I let a few players in my band try these (they thought they were cool) and they all willingly switched back to their regular pieces w/o my telling them to...

Just FWIW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: