• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

And More Questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok before i start asking questions I would like to say that when I went to the Navy jazz clinic I told them that I used the CG method and one of the lead Mr. John Blount said he also studied with Claude. And called Claude's method the best chop development method. Kind of made me feel good knowing that a monster of a player like him came up to me to tell me that I was going the right way.

Ok know as you may know I am working out the SA book. I have gotten to the point know where the lip slurs are getting a little tough for me. I have already noticed that if I keep my chest up and full of air and if I have good posture that it makes it easier for me to slur some of the higher notes. I was wondering if there is anything else that I can do that will help me make my lips more flexible or easier to play? How much time do you guys recommend for me to spend on the lip slurs part? How should I approach the lip slurs? Thanks for any suggestions. John Blount told me " lots of practice".

Ok know into something different. "Harmonic fingering" that means that you keep the same valves down to play different notes ? Right? for example. 1 and 2 for E and A? Is that what Harmonic fingering means? If I'm wrong please explain it to me.

And another question . What does it mean when One note like for example:

The note B has two flat signs next to it and its in the key of Gb

What is that suppose to mean? I saw this in Clarke's technical studies book and I have no idea what that means and what I'm suppose to do. Maybe I'm just dumb.

And those are all the questions that I got for know. Ooops sorry I just wanted to ask one other thing.

When should you look back and see that your range has increased? Or when should you look back and be concerned if youre not at where youre suppose to be? I am on lesson 7 and my range has gone 2 notes up. Up to a high E. Is this good improvement.

Also I am spending hours practicing the CG method? Should I be taking that long? I am talking about 3-4 hours a day (including resting time. about 1 hour 30 min of rest.) Should I be spending this much time? As soon as do HW I start practcing at 3 pm until 7 pm. I have never practiced like this before i was just wondering if I am spending too much time or I'm I doing just fine?

[ This Message was edited by: trjeam on 2002-02-11 20:06 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jakepainter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

this is definately not the definative view , as John is the expert on this but

IMO its fine to do that much a day as long as you really are resting the right amount.

A good way of doing this is to sing each exercise back before going on to the next one, that way you are giving your chops a rest, this works especially well with the Clark Technical studies. That way you are not hammering your chops too much.

I have been amazed with the results providing you do it right, i have found that once the high notes start coming out , (and they will for you !) its very easy to overplay them, and this is not what Claude suggested. Two weeks ago i got my first loud double C !! but i was so happy with it i had to play it at all my housemates , i must have nailed it 20 times in a row and even put it on my answerphone, but boy i suffered the next few days. That was because i didn't warm down like the book says.

stick to the books religiously and rest enough and you'll be annoying your flatmates too !!

By the way High E is great !!! ( i reckon thats the fattest note on trumpet )
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Bbb is B double flat which means that it is actually played as an A because you flat it twice. If this is wrong, please everybody, let me know because I may have been doing it wrong all along. Double sharps and flats are not something that I see too often.

If you have a High E consistently, you are a third higher than what I have consistently so congrats to you. If I had that consistently, it would solve some of the range problems that I have from time to time with the gig that I have now.

I live close enough that if I had the cash, I would take lessons from John Blount. He's a great lead player! I had the privelege of playing next to him on a gig that he subbed with a band I was subbing for. I had been a regular sub for the group and had gigged several times with them and he walks in and sight reads the lead book like he's the regular lead player of the band. One day, I'll make that financial committment, but I just don't have it at the moment.

Great job with your progress! Keep up the good work.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Ken Roe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

You are correct. The double flat (bb) lowers the note a whole step. Double Sharp (x) raises the note a whole step.

Ken Roe

[ This Message was edited by: Ken Roe on 2002-02-12 09:32 ]
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Hicks is the expert in this area. - Patrick if you get to my place maybe Bill would be willing to meet you at the studio. If not - he is just a few more miles up Rt 83. Highly recommended!!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice, Practice, Patience, Practice, more patience, etc.

You have accomplished the first step. You know "How to Practice, What to Practice and When to Practice."

Now you just need to "stick with it and let it develop". It takes time - lot's of it. And that's a good thing. This works to sort out the ones who really want to be players from the rest.

Keep it up and don't over do it. Let the high notes come to you when they are ready.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: