• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing in the Red Blindfold Test

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
It's still a hand. The teacher can help the student with the physical mechanics no matter which hand. .

Please don't take that analogy too literally. They're still lips and a teacher can work with good playing mechanics regardless of the mouthpiece placement.

Dave
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

99 . . . 98 . . .97 . . .96 . . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Joćo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embouchures are like womans! They all sound and look different. If you have one, you must treat hear in a gentle way (Warm up). Some of them like flowers (Clarke), others like chocolate (long tones). They all are different and we must treat them according with what they need. If you do this, they will make you a very happy man!!

I have a very sensitive woman. I must treat her in a very gentle way during all day. If not, she will bite me! Some times she likes flowers. But her favorite present are chocolates (no too much)! She needs to see me and stay with me all days.(We have some days that we don“t see wich other because of professional reasons. But when we see each other again after one day. Its an amazing feeling!).
She is not a top model ( for example Arturo; Bergeron or Faddis embouchure). But you know what? I love her ! I tried many others in the past, but they didn“t worked very well for my needs (anathomy). This is the woman that "feets" on my heart.

In other words, I“m a red player. My embouchure is not the strongest in the world. But it works and I“m happy!

If you have time take a look on the fallow links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1hPeUWDVjM&feature=channel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxKYm_bOQVw

Kind regards!
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your links, Joćo. If you ever get the chance to take closeup video of your embouchure I'd love to get a closer look at what it looks like. Sounds great, though! I don't notice any of the range, tone, flexibility or endurance issues that some claim comes from placing on the red.

Nate, I understand you're just trying to be entertaining, but if you have a question or a point to make I would ask that you just do so. Perhaps I'm just being confusing with my points, so I'll try rephrasing my thoughts on mouthpiece placement recommendations.

You and Mike have both suggested, quite accurately, that most players won't want to place the mouthpiece high or low enough on the lips so that the rim is in direct contact with the upper or lower lip. Where I differ is that I prefer to not recommend against any particular placement, no matter how unusual it looks, until I have enough information to judge whether or not it is causing problems. Furthermore, I don't feel that an individual's correct embouchure type and mouthpiece placement will become apparent until after other, more important technique issues are taken care of. If a student doesn't support well, has a flabby or weak embouchure formation, etc. then it's not really helpful to change a mouthpiece placement. Sometimes changing it may seem like it's correcting something, but sometimes it may be better to stay with the old embouchure and learn how to use that correctly. Until a player has made certain corrections or developed enough embouchure strength and control I'm not confident that it's possible to know when a mouthpiece placement is going to work or not.

It's really difficult to summarize my approach here because it's always dependent on the things the individual is doing and my suggestions are always different for each player. However, here is a link to an example of a tubist where I did make a suggestion regarding changing his mouthpiece placement if you're curious.

Again, thank you to everyone who has participated on my playing on the red blindfold test. If you haven't already and are curious to see how you do, please follow that link and try it out. I would like to get some more people to take it before I do a more formal writeup on the results and what sort of pedagogical and practice investigations that this can lead to. However, I will state for the curious that the preliminary results are that out of 80 people, the average score was 51.6% accuracy.

Dave
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilktone wrote:
However, I will state for the curious that the preliminary results are that out of 80 people, the average score was 51.6% accuracy.
Dave

Well at least we beat the "infinite number of monkeys tossing an infinite number of coins!"
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm not trying - that's just the way I am.

Quote:
I don't feel that an individual's correct embouchure type and mouthpiece placement will become apparent until after other, more important technique issues are taken care of. If a student doesn't support well, has a flabby or weak embouchure formation, etc. then it's not really helpful to change a mouthpiece placement. Sometimes changing it may seem like it's correcting something, but sometimes it may be better to stay with the old embouchure and learn how to use that correctly.

Well, I agree with you for different reasons. No support, weak flabby embouchure, and rim in the red. Might as well move the mpc and start working on proper development. Playing with the rim in the upper lip could be the student's way of compensating for poor embouchure strength and lack of support. I would bet it is. No sense trying to develop a bad set up. Develop some strength and support. Give it a month or so. Then we'll see.

I teach a lot of beginners in elementary school bands. I am adamant about the pinky not being in the hook. Many many advanced players put their pinkies in the hooks, but students need to develop 3rd finger control. Also, they use it to play higher, instead of developing wind support. I'm not going to accept that that's the way they do it and work around it. They can play "Hot Cross Buns" with pinky in the hook, so it's a legitimate technique? No. Take a breath and support the tone.

Quote:
Until a player has made certain corrections or developed enough embouchure strength and control I'm not confident that it's possible to know when a mouthpiece placement is going to work or not.

Again, I agree with you for different reasons. Young, developing students should use the most successful techniques until it becomes obvious that there may be a physical formation that would make a change advantageous. Get a mpc big enough to get both lips in and get to work with the tried and true routines from antiquity.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Joćo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Playing in the Red Blindfold Test Reply with quote

Wilktone wrote:
I'm conducting an informal experiment as sort of a pilot study to observe how accurate people are guessing a trumpet player's mouthpiece placement through sound alone, specifically if one can actually hear if the player places the mouthpiece on the red of the upper or lower lip. If you'd like to participate and see how you do, please visit the following web site. There are audio recordings of 6 professional trumpet players playing octave slurs for about a minute. At least one player places the mouthpiece so the rim is in direct contact with the red of the lips and at least one player does not. Then there is a short quiz asking for your thoughts on whether the player places the mouthpiece on the red or not.

http://www.wilktone.com/?p=3746

Feel free to post your comments on the site or here if you have thoughts about this topic.

Thanks,

Dave

Go in front with this test and with your embouchure research. Your theories are very well explained and fundamented. Since I visit your website for the first time I got the feeling that you can help lots of people with this main ideia: "Playing on the red its fine as long as it fits your anatomy"

I strongly recomend everybody to take a look on Dave“s website!

Best regards.

Joćo
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that its possible that when you have an "in the red" player, who is able to make an acceptable tone, yet in so doing they may mask the fact that they have poor endurance or a strained upper register? I don't know, I am just asking the question. How could one do an experiment to test this? Another question might be whether "in the red" players suffer from more lip bruising and swelling than non-red players. This could perhaps be done in the same experiment. There's probably a good academic paper in this kind of research, possibly even a doctoral thesis (depending on how far you want to take it).
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate, thanks for coming down to my level. It's easier to find our common ground now and I don't think we're really all that much different in our approaches.

Quote:
No support, weak flabby embouchure, and rim in the red. Might as well move the mpc and start working on proper development. Playing with the rim in the upper lip could be the student's way of compensating for poor embouchure strength and lack of support. I would bet it is.

This is certainly possible, but I wonder if making the corrections before addressing the placement would be a better approach. First, if the placement is compensating for poor embouchure strength and control then developing those might make the placement correct itself when it's ready. Secondly, there's always a chance that the placement itself is fine where it is. Moving the placement and making the other corrections may disguise the results of placement as improvements in other areas cover up a (now less than ideal) placement.

But it's hard to say. Every player is different.

The other issue that deserves mention is that with younger players their anatomy is still changing, quite drastically in many cases, as they grow, get braces, and get braces off. Personally, I tend to avoid discussing mouthpiece placement with beginners until they're mostly past their growth spurt. I don't want them to get the idea that there's a "correct" placement because it happened to work best for them when they were 10 if it's going to be different when they're 18.

Quote:
I strongly recomend everybody to take a look on Dave“s website!

Thank you for the plug, Joćo!

Quote:
Do you think that its possible that when you have an "in the red" player, who is able to make an acceptable tone, yet in so doing they may mask the fact that they have poor endurance or a strained upper register?

How would one "mask" poor range or endurance? Those features are things that are easily tested for. Either the player can play two sets of big band on lead trumpet or not. Still, it's a good question and worth considering.

Quote:
How could one do an experiment to test this?

It would be difficult because there are so many other factors that contribute to poor range and endurance, not just mouthpiece placement. An experimental design would have to somehow control for those other issues and only look at mouthpiece placement. I don't know how one could easily do this, but I'll give it some thought.

Quote:
Another question might be whether "in the red" players suffer from more lip bruising and swelling than non-red players. This could perhaps be done in the same experiment.

I've looked through the medical literature on brass players suffering from lip injuries to see if there was any correlation with placement on the red with lip injuries. There's nothing that addresses this specific topic (at least that I could find), but there several papers that deal with lip injuries caused by brass playing. Most seem to happen to the upper lip (the entire lip, not just the vermillion) and things like muscle tears don't appear to be confined to the muscle under the vermillion, but wherever the rim happens to contact. Because more players place the mouthpiece so the upper rim is above the red that would explain why the injuries covered in the literature tend to happen above the red.

Quote:
There's probably a good academic paper in this kind of research, possibly even a doctoral thesis (depending on how far you want to take it).

I finished my dissertation in 2000 and I'm not up for writing another. Maybe I'll turn this pilot study into an article someday. If any graduate students out there are looking for a thesis topic and are interested in this, I'm happy to pass along any research I've already found to help you out.

Dave
Joćo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roynj wrote:
Do you think that its possible that when you have an "in the red" player, who is able to make an acceptable tone, yet in so doing they may mask the fact that they have poor endurance or a strained upper register? I don't know, I am just asking the question. How could one do an experiment to test this? Another question might be whether "in the red" players suffer from more lip bruising and swelling than non-red players. This could perhaps be done in the same experiment. There's probably a good academic paper in this kind of research, possibly even a doctoral thesis (depending on how far you want to take it).

As far as I know he is doing this test because somebody said that its posible in a minute, in a blinfold audition, tell if the player is playing in the red or not.

"In red" players, if they work properly, they can have nice range; endurance; flexibility etc... ( Its posible great trumpet players like Cat Anderson or Lee Morgan did it).

Also, "in white" players, if they work properly, they can have nice range; emdurance etc... (Great trumpet players like Arturo; Bergeron are doing that).

For both tipes, white and red, its very difficult to reach the musical/trumpet skills of those great artists. I start not liking the terms "in red" or "in white". I think I prefer "human players"

If Dave is doing a Doctoral thesis with this or something else, I don“t know. What I know is that he has a long, difficult, and very interesting work in front of him.

Kind regards.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone who took the time to try out the survey. I've completed a paper that discussed the results of the blindfold test as well as review of the related literature. If you'd like to see the full paper (or have insomnia) please go here. If you're just interested in the abstract, here it is.

While placing the mouthpiece on the vermillion of the lips is commonly described by brass teachers as inherently damaging to the player’s lips or limiting to the player’s technique, the rational for these arguments lacks sufficient evidence to support this opinion. A review of the medical research found no specific evidence supporting the contention that the vermillion is incapable of withstanding the mouthpiece pressure applied by typical brass playing and found some evidence to the contrary. The music literature related to embouchure technique shows some support for the argument that rim contact on the upper lip will limit the vibrations of the top lip, however this position fails to take into account the differences between upstream and downstream brass embouchure technique.

To determine if an aural effect caused by mouthpiece placement on the vermillion could be noted a survey was conducted asking participants to listen to short sound clips of six professional trumpet players and guess whether the player placed the mouthpiece with significant rim contact on the vermillion. The 98 participants scored an average accuracy rate of 51.9%, suggesting that there is no noticeable aural difference between placing the mouthpiece on the vermillion or not.

It was noted that the lack of sufficient collaboration between the medical and musical fields has hindered research in the area of injuries and other medical issues caused by brass playing. Medical experts typically have an insufficient background in brass technique to understand how improper playing mechanics may contribute to injuries. Musical experts frequently make incorrect statements regarding the anatomy of the lips and often demonstrate limited understanding of how anatomical features affect individual player’s embouchure form and function.
MattC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkitone-

A few bits of anecdata for you.

I played in the red for a while in Jr high and maybe early high school. Well over a year at any rate. I have very little red to begin with so this was an extreme case. Which brings up a question I would ask of people who play in the red--how did you get there? In my case I blew out my chops but didn't have a teacher or the maturity to say "take a long rest". For whatever it may be worth, I never developed a callus.

It would be nice to move away from a Caucasian centric terminology (play in the red) .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: