• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

trumpet bore size effect

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a Kanstul Chicago 1070 (.470 bore) and it felt incredible! It didn't wear me out, but it was really free blowing and slotted well. I regret selling it. Bore size can sometimes fool you.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure this will help, but this is a great online article. It deals with Schilke, but might be worth a read.

http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke/B%20flat%20trumpets.html
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are flugelhorns - of small and large bore - so darned easy to play all the way up to G atop the staff, then have a built-in steep challenge above that?

Why did a deeper cornet mouthpiece with a larger throat 'open up' a 0.460" student-model shepherd's crook such that I could play from G to C up there with better tone and everything as compared to a smaller Bach 6 & 6C?

Why is my Conn 5A cornet with its short wide wrap and 0.484" bore so easy to hit clean highs, even with a Wick 3 no-letter?

It's gotta be design, not (edit: ONLY) diameter.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with the Conn Victor Special in 0.438 & the mucho larger bore 80A cornet with an opinion? Those are almost the same wrap and bell, yes?
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bore size Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Tony Scodwell wrote:
Bore size is akin to kicking tires on a car. It doesn't tell you anything and to prove the point [yet again] Maynard and Cat Anderson and Snooky to name just a few, found the 38B Conn to be just fine. Oh yes, the 38B stood for .438 bore.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available in the US only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808 or now in Europe at Musik-Bertram, Freiburg, Germany.

Tony,

I have much respect for you, your playing and your businesses. But are you really saying that bore has no effect on the trumpet, or is it just one of the things that have no effect? Do you mean that neither the mouth pipe or bell have anything to do with how a horn plays? The valves, perhaps, make no difference either? Or is it all these things and more make up the differences, just not the bore? Really?

No one is asking whether a certain bore is better than another. No one is suggesting a preference. The OP asked what the effects of bore size are. That is fairly easily quantified, really. You just get two horns that are, for all intents and purposes, the same except for bore and compare them.

For example, every time I compare a Kanstul 1000 to a 1001, there is a specific discernible difference. When I substitute the #2 slide for the #1 on my Wild Thing, there is a consistent discernible difference.

Great players playing medium bore trumpets proves nothing about bore size other than they could and did play the smaller bore design. I wonder why Maynard didn't stay with the .438"? We should ask him... Oh.

FWIW, listen to Maynard's Roulette recordings playing the .438 Connstellation, vs. his Columbia years playing the Holton .468. Admittedly, probably the biggest factor was the difference of youth separated by innumerable one night gigs blowing stuff that would slay oxen, but he was soooo much better on the Connie. Having never heard him live playing a Conn (As I was about 2 when he was at his prime) I did hear him live 4 times on the Holton, and some nights were better than others. One night (and Beboppin Fool could verify if he so chose, as he was there) he was in the weeds bigtime as far as intonation.

THAT is the biggest difference to me personally as far as bore relates, the small bores are much easier to stay in tune with as opposed to the larger bores. The big boys are great if you are on the top of your game, but very unforgiving if you are not.

Let's face it, intonation is the biggest enemy of the trumpet player. Everything else is pretty consistent as far as individual technique, ability and talent goes, but the ear is the thing we all struggle with daily. We can be playing great, everything feels good, but if we are 10 cents flat what does it matter?
Since all other motivesfame, money, power, even honorare thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it. Wayne Booth
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leadpipe has a MUCH greater effect on the sound and blow than the size of the bore. For example: An ML bore Bach 72*/43 will play much more open than a CG Benge (large, .470" bore).

Having said that... the bore still makes a difference. A great example is the difference between the Kanstul 1000 and 1001. The larger bore (1001) has a sound that is much less concentrated and more spread, for lack of a better word.

With Schilke Bbs, the bore size seems to make a big difference. The B5 has a medium-large (.460") bore, with a medium-large bell taper, and most people agree that it is a pretty tight-blowing horn. The B3 has a large bore (.463"), and a medium bell taper (less volume than the bell on the B5), yet it is MUCH more free-blowing than the B5. The Schilke leadpipe has a very slow taper, which may be why it is so sensitive to bore size.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C

Last edited by Adam V on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Bore size Reply with quote

plp wrote:
THAT is the biggest difference to me personally as far as bore relates, the small bores are much easier to stay in tune with as opposed to the larger bores. The big boys are great if you are on the top of your game, but very unforgiving if you are not.

Period. 100% agree.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the trumpets I've ever played, I have not played any poorly designed L horns, or any poorly designed M horns. I can say that there is a difference, obviously in the response, definitely in the sound. It's neither good nor bad, just different. I prefer the depth of sound I can get with L horns, so that's what I play. I like to use my body to play, like a good singer does. I can play any size horn. I have played many poorly designed ML horns, so I'm not comparing them! I can play ML horns just fine as well.

However, if take the mouthpiece off, wrap your lips around the receiver and blow as hard as you can - you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference in bore size.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Bore size Reply with quote

Perhaps I should have said something about balance. Bore size certainly is just one part of the equation along with the leadpipe taper, venturi size, bell flair and so on. Those old 38B's were tanks and MF was for sure in his prime when he played them. I heard the band in the late fifties and early sixties many times and he ate raw meat in those days. I brought my new pride and joy B3 Schilke in one night for him to play and after saying what a fine horn it was, he said it didn't quite blow freely enough for him. Over the years dealing with some bad habits and just getting older, Maynard's playing changed. Still an amazing trumpet player, my feelings were that I preferred the earlier guy. As for his change to Holton, my very good friend Sandy Sandberg was responsible for getting him playing those. After many years at Getzen [where he was responsible for Doc's years there] Sandy joined Vito at Holton and in addition to having MF as an artist, he also signed up Al Hirt and Miles. Anybody that knows how the musical instrument biz works wasn't surprised at his move. Later at Conn [Vito was a bit tough to deal with] Sandy reunited with Doc there and started that somewhat ill fated venture through no fault of either one. My point is, Maynard changed from the Conn 38B's for more than musical reasons. Once again with no disrespect to anyone here, the bore size is but one part of the way a horn plays. I agree that two basically identical horns with two different bores will play differently, but as we all know, two supposedly identical horns seldom [if ever] play the same.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available in the US only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808 or now in Europe at Musik-Bertram, Freiburg, Germany.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2c

I have a n older Yamaha 6345 and a more older Selmer B700 which have the same bore on the second valve: 0.463 = 11.75 mm.
They have both a D-shaped tuning slide, the Selmer differs by not having a brace in it.
As far as my research went, both have some kind of Bach 25 leadpipe.
The biggest differences are:
Selmer L-bell (bigger throat and a little bigger in diameter), Yamaha ML-bell (I think rather tight), both bells are goldbrass.
The Selmer has a tuning bell setup.
The Selmer is in raw brass with nickel slides, the Yamaha is in epoxy lacquer
The Yamaha is standard weight, the Selmer a little heavyweight.
They play COMPLETELY different.
The Yamaha plays only a very little more open than a Bach 37, it's a trumpet with (for me) a lot of resistance. The sound is with a shallow mouthpiece (I play a Yamaha 11B4 GP) on the bright side.
The Selmer is the most open playing trumpet I encountered and has a beautiful, more deep and round sound still playing the same mouthpiece.
So I think that the form of the bell is a very influential parameter for the playing characteristics of a trumpet (cornet, flugel).
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bore size Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:

my very good friend Sandy Sandberg .

Sandy was a great guy. I was just a young buck but he took all the time with me in person, on the phone and letters (remember those?) and he helped me pick out an ST200. Living an hour from Elkhorn and Kenosha I was up there a lot and he never treated me as a pest. He was special.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
The Benge 3X and MLP pair are as close as you'll get to that concept but are not the same horn with different bores.

I dunno, the Callet Superchops came in both .460 and .464. Both are absolutely great horns, but I much prefer the .464"

EdMann wrote:

Looking at bore size and determining how that's going to be for you is the wrong question. Sidin' with Tony on this one!

Agreed 100%
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: