• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stratos embouchure training aid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jf_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Stratos embouchure training aid Reply with quote

My teacher Marcus Reynolds has developed a gadget in aluminium that forces you to learn to play with less pressure, develop the embouchure muscles, and move out your lower jaw to align the top and bottom teeth.

Have a look at: www.brasslessons4u.com

there is a picture on the Stratos page of how it works. It can be fitted to the leadpipe or mouthpiece for most brass instruments, including trumpet and cornet.

Using it in lessons has forced me to not increase the pressure when playing high and also giving your chops more of a work-out when playing in the middle to low register. The main development for me has been a much bigger sound with it and his embouchure method, and I know many of his students have added drastically to their range. One trumpet player up over an octave to double F!

What typically happens when you use it is that you over-pitch once you remove the chin rest. So if you are playing a lick from a C in the stave with it on, then I have tried to play it again without the chin rest and accidentally played the E above with the same ease.

They are very nearly ready for sale I told, certainly within the next few weeks. I'm sure Marcus would be interested in your comments and thoughts. Price is £150 or about $215 including shipping to the US (VAT not applicable), and will be in some UK and European brass shops once ready.

Last edited by jf_trumpet on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting concept but it seems like a trumpet version would be a little more difficult. Maybe not, just smaller.

Kent
jf_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kent, the same device fits all instruments by way of a delrin washer in many different sizes, which holds onto the leadpipe or mouthpiece. I have played the same device fixed to my trumpet, and there are various delrins for cornet, bass trombone and french horn, which of course have very different mouthpiece receivers. Of course the distance from the lips and chin is pretty much the same for the vast majority of people so that part of it can remain fixed.

Hope that helps explain it a bit.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like an interesting device that could be very helpful. If I were Marcus, I'd not have it rolled out until it was ready and the on-line store operating.

Also, with all due respect for the inventor and entrepreneur, I think a $240 price point for this is going to limit sales to a very small number. Would you rather sell a hundred of these at $240 or a thousand at $48, which doubles both your exposure and your profit?

IDK the ins and outs of producing one of these, but doing it with plastic parts and off the shelf components should allow it to be produced so the price point could be lowered . . . just look at the price point for most embouchure aids . . . I think you'll find it to be well below $100 . . . PETE was about $40 last time I looked and had come out with a plastic model after rolling out the metal one . . .

All that said, good luck with this . . .
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
zombinator01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES.i agree,,it sounds very interesting(i would love to give it a shot) but it is a bit over the budget
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Unrelated to the topic, but that website needs to have it's permalinks corrected.)
jf_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
Also, with all due respect for the inventor and entrepreneur, I think a $240 price point for this is going to limit sales to a very small number. Would you rather sell a hundred of these at $240 or a thousand at $48, which doubles both your exposure and your profit?

IDK the ins and outs of producing one of these, but doing it with plastic parts and off the shelf components should allow it to be produced so the price point could be lowered . . . just look at the price point for most embouchure aids . . . I think you'll find it to be well below $100 . . . PETE was about $40 last time I looked and had come out with a plastic model after rolling out the metal one . . .

You make some good points. The price includes shipping worldwide, or incorporates 20% UK VAT for VAT-registered retailers, which obviously adds to the price.

I guess a more similar comparison to the Stratos is the anti-pressure valve device which sell for $150 that Marcus used to use with his students. Add 20% to that and you have $180 to give a fairer comparison. However the Stratos does more than just force you to play with reduced pressure.

Thanks for the good wishes.

(edit) on speaking to Marcus again he says that since VAT is not charged on export, the price to the US would be $215 including shipping.
jf_trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some videos demonstrating the use and concept of the Stratos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TqZtDkGm60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2cIIMUYiZA

There is another video that hasn't gone up yet with a trumpet player that Marcus mentions, just to explain why he talks of the two videos with the two Dutch players, Bram and Abram.
jimbob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: stratos embouchure aid Reply with quote

hi, i bought a stratos a few months back and i have to say it has been a real worthwhile buy. i am not a pro but even so, i have been able to see the gains that have been made since using it. The 1st article posted stated that it forced the embouchure into the correct position, i think the word 'forced' is a little harsh, it doesnt force just aligns the jaw into the correct playing position. i can understand that people think it is rather pricey, but it is a quality piece of kit, which is well made and does the job that it is meant to do. it gives you a big rich sound by correcting the jaw thus making the airflow easier. this in turn gives you a better range, as, to increase your range, you need to increase airflow. it can also be used as a buzzing aid when you are not able to play the trumpet. again it aligns the jaw nicely so you can aim the air through the o-ring. you now get two playing aids for the price of one. happy days!
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody experienced this device so far.

I fear it might prevent the chin/jaw to move where its supposed to move

I kind of use some sort of pivot to play and this device might prevent it to happen ?

Good thing ? Bad thing ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: