• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Philadelphia Brass Ensemble Christmas CD arrangements?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schmarpy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Philadelphia Brass Ensemble Christmas CD arrangements? Reply with quote

I hope you're all aware of the Philadelphia Brass Ensemble's Christmas CD, "A Festival of Carols in Brass", released in 1967. It features some incredible, vibrant brass playing by members of the Philadelphia Orchestra during Ormandy. In addition to the spectacular brass playing, the arrangements of the carols themselves are really fantastic and straightforward.

Does anyone know if these arrangements are published or available? I'd love to have them but haven't been able to find them online.

Do give this CD a listen!
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great CD and probably my favorite brass Christmas album.

I posted about this awhile back. Most of the arrangements are taken from the 4-part settings done by Mary Rasmussen, published by Robert King. However a lot of them have an added horn part (descant/harmony), composed by someone else. Also the ensemble consisted of 6 players, an added euphonium, so the bass is doubled at the octave at times.

The 12 Days of Christmas arrangement was by Andrew Kazdin and is published by Robert King Music.

If you ever do come across any form of transcriptions from the album please let me know!
RL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just playing it right now, Merry Christmas
Adam West
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party here. Don’t have the arrangements but I do have a pristine copy on vinyl. Really great album!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: