• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stomvi S3 vs. VR-II

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbmatt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Stomvi S3 vs. VR-II Reply with quote

Hey guys -

My horns recently got stolen so I am shopping for some new stuff. I played a stock Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS. I'm getting $4K to replace a trumpet and flugel.

Here's my question, I really like the Stomvi S3 but have the opportunity to buy a VR-II for around the same cost. Is is less than a year old and in fantastic shape (according to the pics). It's in California and I'm in TX. It retails for quite a bit more.

I've seen some of the vids on YouTube but was wondering if any of you had experience with both horns. I'm interested in the feel of the VR-II compared to the S3. If you had to buy one, which one would you get?

I am heading to TMEA in a couple of weeks and hope a vendor has a VR-II for me to demo!

Thanks!
trmptz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my VR II! Haven't tried the S3 yet but I figure I don't need to.
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experience with both horns. It honestly comes down to preference. I spoke with KO from Stomvi and he said he prefers the VR2, but Jim Manley just switched from his VR2 to an S3. They are both fantastic horns. I prefer the VR2, but I still rather like the S3. Maybe send an email and talk with some of the guys at Stomvi about it?
Also, is the configuration of the VR2? That makes a bit of a difference.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgu6jMwfGj0

Here you go.......had you seen this video?

Walter
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those examples are really close. I might give the edge to the VRII but it's really splittin hairs.

I'll be getting an S3 in the near future.
Wondra
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a VRII large bell in brushed lacquer. One of my buddies has an S3, and we've done plenty of A:B ing over the past year. I was considering switching to the S3, though chose to stay with the VRII.

For me, the VRII is slightly more efficient, slots more securely, has a more compact feel to the blow, and has a warmer sound (all playing characteristics that I prefer in a horn). I also find it blends better in a section.

The S3 is super responsive - your lips barely start to vibrate and the sound is shooting out the end of the bell - most responsive horn I've ever played. Also, the S3 puts out a huge, vibrant sound. Because of this, it's easier to over power other players in the trumpet section, so you just need to be aware and manage it.

A caution about the VRII in particular - if you tend to use a lot of air, you'll need to learn to back off. For this horn if you overblow you'll get a small sound and will close off upstairs. By playing efficiently, the horn really opens up throughout the range. This comment applies to by horns, though more so to the VRII. Also, if you like a more open blow, you can use the round tuning slide (I prefer the D tuning slide).

Having said that, since both horns are available at about the same price, I'd seriously consider the VRII. Though like others have said - you can't go wrong with either one!

Don't make me get the flying monkeys...
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it is I that is depicted in video form I will throw down with the preverbal 2 cents. Players choice is really the answer. It seems to be the consensus of the lead playing crowd the S3 is the horn of choice. Now that being said it is my opinion that that the VRII is more versatile than the S3... not by leaps and bounds but by a margine that is quantifiable. If you are a lead player and paid to live in the extremes of our range, the S3 is the horn! If you are doing everything under the sun go with the VRII. This is where I live and I only need one horn. 2 Cents complete.

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rufflicks wrote:
As it is I that is depicted in video form I will throw down with the preverbal 2 cents. Players choice is really the answer. It seems to be the consensus of the lead playing crowd the S3 is the horn of choice. Now that being said it is my opinion that that the VRII is more versatile than the S3... not by leaps and bounds but by a margine that is quantifiable. If you are a lead player and paid to live in the extremes of our range, the S3 is the horn! If you are doing everything under the sun go with the VRII. This is where I live and I only need one horn. 2 Cents complete.

Which isn't to say that the VR2 isn't a KILLER lead/high note horn. They both are. The guy that posted above mentioned that the S3 is very responsive... that's one of the things I hear Manley say about his all the time.

feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We understand your angst they are both great horns! Either way you win. Please let us know how it turns out.

https://stomvi-usa.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/stomviusavideo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stomvi-USA/106129483617
https://twitter.com/Stomvi_USA
888-702-7277
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a doubt the S3 is the most responsive horn I have played...so fast. That being said I cannot out play a VRII or the S3 they are both fast. I have played several Es above double high C on my large bell VRII. It works just fine as a lead horn. It also will blend in a section of legit players., they both do. This is like asking do you want a Porche or a Mercedes. Both will get the attention of the opposite sex. It is simply a question of preference. None of us can help you really decide. I can tell you you will be good either way. The best way I can put it is...the VRII has heated seats the S3 dosent. Best of luck to you and good for you for having the sense to know that these horns are special. Check this video if you havent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOqWK2OLFBE

zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rufflicks wrote:
Without a doubt the S3 is the most responsive horn I have played...so fast. That being said I cannot out play a VRII or the S3 they are both fast. I have played several Es above double high C on my large bell VRII. It works just fine as a lead horn. It also will blend in a section of legit players., they both do. This is like asking do you want a Porche or a Mercedes. Both will get the attention of the opposite sex. It is simply a question of preference. None of us can help you really decide. I can tell you you will be good either way. The best way I can put it is...the VRII has heated seats the S3 dosent. Best of luck to you and good for you for having the sense to know that these horns are special. Check this video if you havent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOqWK2OLFBE

There you have it. The ladies love both horns.

rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and sorry to hear about your horns that totally sucks!!!!!

Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a VR-II Bb for a long time, and sold it to get a silver S-3. Jon is correct; both horns are incredible. But for me, the S-3 feels more responsive and overall easier to play. Another BIG plus is that the S-3 made it easier for me to switch back and forth to my VR-II C trumpet. The VR-II C feels lighter weight than the VR-II Bb. Again, this is FOR ME. I would have a brushed laquer VR-II Bb in my shed if I had the $$.

I will be totally happy and reach nirvana when I have the Stomvi Titan piccolo in my collection. Then I will be at peace..
robbmatt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Update! Reply with quote

Hey guys -

Thanks for all of your responses! I ended up purchasing the Stomvi S3 directly from KO. After playing it for a couple of days and reporting back to KO, he had me add some of the FLEX bottom caps to tweak the horn a bit! It is a sweet horn that will serve me well for a long time!

The personal attention from KO and his staff was excellent! They make a fine product and back it up with excellent service! I would encourage any musician to do business with them!

Thanks again!
Matt
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: STOMVI S3 Reply with quote

Love my S3....I may be selling my Stomvi/Reeves V Raptor light....
Pickett Mouthpieces
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can personally attest that for CalicchioMan he sounds better on the S3 than the others he has been through. Still love when he takes my 1001 to double C and beyond though..... LOL
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: STOMVI S3 Reply with quote

Thanks Tom!
Pickett Mouthpieces
On my way now

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the S3 examples seem to be in Silver plate. I wondered if anyone out there has the gold or have tried It and what they think?
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just A/B/C’d an S3 regular (which is no longer made), an S3 Big Bell, and a VRII Lightweight regular. For me, the S3 (Big Bell) was the clear winner and the best trumpet I’ve ever played. It’s the most responsive, in tune horn with an amazing full resonant sound with brilliance in the upper register. A game-changer. I just sold my beloved Getzen Doc which was a little brighter but a lot more difficult to play accurately. Stomvi says their horns are “simply easier to play”. They’re speaking the truth…and their valves are on par with Getzen…simply the best. The fit and finish is equal to Scilke…again, the best. I never even knew Spain 🇪🇸 produced trumpets! Of course, the Americans at Stomvi USA 🇺🇸 do their part as well. The fact that the S3 cost less than most pro trumpets is icing on the cake.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kennyg2019"]Just A/B/C’d an S3 regular (which is no longer made), an S3 Big Bell, and a VRII Lightweight regular. For me, the S3 (Big Bell) was the clear winner and the best trumpet I’ve ever played. It’s the most responsive, in tune horn with an amazing full resonant sound with brilliance in the upper register. A game-changer. I just sold my beloved Getzen Doc which was a little brighter but a lot more difficult to play accurately. Stomvi says their horns are “simply easier to play”. They’re speaking the truth…and their valves are on par with Getzen…simply the best. The fit and finish is equal to Scilke…again, the best. I never even knew Spain 🇪🇸 produced trumpets! Of course, the Americans at Stomvi USA 🇺🇸 do their part as well. The fact that the S3 cost less than most pro trumpets is icing on the cake.[/quote]

Glad you like your S3. Have you tried the flex mouthpieces? I highly recommend them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: