• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stomvi S3 vs. VR-II

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Arnold wrote:
Kennyg2019 wrote:
Just A/B/C’d an S3 regular (which is no longer made), an S3 Big Bell, and a VRII Lightweight regular. For me, the S3 (Big Bell) was the clear winner and the best trumpet I’ve ever played. It’s the most responsive, in tune horn with an amazing full resonant sound with brilliance in the upper register. A game-changer. I just sold my beloved Getzen Doc which was a little brighter but a lot more difficult to play accurately. Stomvi says their horns are “simply easier to play”. They’re speaking the truth…and their valves are on par with Getzen…simply the best. The fit and finish is equal to Scilke…again, the best. I never even knew Spain 🇪🇸 produced trumpets! Of course, the Americans at Stomvi USA 🇺🇸 do their part as well. The fact that the S3 cost less than most pro trumpets is icing on the cake.

Glad you like your S3. Have you tried the flex mouthpieces? I highly recommend them.

Thanks for the recommendation. I tried a regular Stomvi 3C but much prefer my GR 3MX. Have you tried the regular Stomvi mouthpieces? What’s the difference between them and the Flex…the gap?
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flex uses a different alloy I believe. I have a set in the 3 Series rims and I find them full of color and easy to play. I had the standard Stomvi 3c and the flex are far superior in terms of sound and playability.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://stomvi-usa.com/flex-mouthpieces/
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Flex 3FVR/J6 with a rim from a Warburton 4M threaded onto it is my daily driver. It's the best mouthpiece I've ever owned in 50+ years of playing. With the couplers to dial in the gap, I've solved a lot of intonation and slotting issues, and the sound is much more vibrant in all registers.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on the 3DVR J6. Great mouthpiece.
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Stomvi made a Flex version of my mouthpiece (GR 3MX). I know they make copies of other GRs like the Wayne Bergeron model. The next time I in LA I might stop by Stomvi and try some different mouthpieces. Otherwise, I’ll be shooting in the dark (again 🙄) trying to find the right fit.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get KO to make you a screw rim flex piece and use the rim you like. I like the rim on the 3 series. I have 4 different configurations plus the matching flugel piece. Makes switching easy.

Last edited by Jon Arnold on Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kennyg2019"]I wish Stomvi made a Flex version of my mouthpiece (GR 3MX). I know they make copies of other GRs like the Wayne Bergeron model. The next time I in LA I might stop by Stomvi and try some different mouthpieces. Otherwise, I’ll be shooting in the dark (again 🙄) trying to find the right fit.[/quote]

Understood and things are not cheap enough to go down that road. If you can try a flex, I highly suggest it. I have played everything under the sun and keep going back to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: