• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dave's Custom "Bach" Tuning Slides

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone used any of Dave's custom tuning slides? They look interesting. They're modeled after the old Bach trumpets. My question to anyone that may have tried them is do they play more open?

Thanks!

http://www.electrotheremin.com/myslide02.html
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a raw brass slide from him at ITG for my old 43 and I like it. Mine doesn't have a water key, and I had always wanted to try one like that. It seemed to make the horn play just a hair brighter, but frankly I have not done any experimenting back and forth. I liked it and just left it in there.

Mike
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think DavesTrumpet from on this forum is the Dave with the slides. If so, maybe he could give you some better referrals.

Mike
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bgwbold,

Dave did send me some testimonies from users who had purchased his products and they were of course all very good. Just thought I'd post here for some new fresher opinions from some of the regulars I know and respect their opinions.
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back. (Been out of town. Terrible drive back from Dallas yesterday - heavy heavy rain! Nothing like having to drive 25 mph on a major interstate!)

Anyway, back to the slide - I personally don't feel much change in resistance using my crook over the "square" Selmer style Bach crook. I don't have many gig requirements causing me to blow THAT much air, but I've noticed quite a few of the people who have purchased my custom slide feel it plays more open. My slide was designed to improve tonal qualities and overall response, which I think it does, quite well. Slotting is better and resonance is improved. My longer crook model C trumpet slide improves intonation. BTW, the C trumpet slide was developed with input from Wilmer Wise (Brooklyn Phil) and George Coble (Syracuse Symphony, formerly of the NY Phil).

I imagine that to some people the change in resonance and slotting may make the horn feel like the resistance has changed, but I just can't personally feel that any more or less air is going around the bend. At least that's my opinion. Putting both style crooks on an air pressure measuring apparatus would really be the only way to tell.

At the advice of a close friend (who is more of a businessman than myself) I plan on putting a testimonial section on my website very soon. It has never really been my intention to mass market this slide. I found something I felt helped the Bach Strad and I've been passing the word along. It's mostly from word of mouth or personal contacts that I sell these slides. Well, my website helps too. I usually build in groups of 10 (building 10 Bb slides and 10 C trumpet slides) after I obtain the tubing stock from Selmer. So that means about every four months or so I build a new batch of slides. This last batch (started in May) has now been depleted and all models are currently out of stock. Sold the last two slides this weekend. Majority of sales in the US go to NY and overseas, Japan, Italy and Puerto Rico.

Whew, now I've spilled all my guts. heheheh Gotta run and practice...............

David Miller
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: