• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TorpedoBags for piccolo trumpet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: TorpedoBags for piccolo trumpet? Reply with quote

At some point this year I am going to get a Torpedo Loredo for my C, and I would love to have something just as sleek and protective for my picc when I step up my picc to a pro horn.

Does Torpedobags take 'custom orders'? Like If I said I had a Yamaha 9825 shortbell or Schilke p5-4 longbell, would they take the same basic dimensions of their classic case, yet just make it shorter and add padding depending on the length and girth of the horn? No clips or anything, just a naked, sexy ass case? I suppose if they configured it right they could still get a mute bag and music pouch on a longbell case though. Shortbell, not so much. Perhaps they would just have a single model case for piccs in general. I'm just spitballin' though. It would be great if they could do this. I would assume that there is not enough interest in a single piccolo case or else this would be available already.

Also, how does a long bell picc fit into the classic case? Does it fit well enough to travel? Perhaps just add some padding at the botton so the horn is not dangling by the bell? I would assume a shortbell picc is just to plain short to fit in the classic, and is a waste of space too.
christophac7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mentioned this to Steve a few times, call it the BulletCase or Torpedo Jr. I mean, the new colors on the Classics and Outlaws came from Custom Orders, so...
Picc: Carol Brass 7770
Cornet: Buescher Model 266 Custom
Flugel: CFL-6200-GSS-SLB
TorpedoBagsŪ Student Artist
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocket rocket.
Picc Pocket.
Torpedo Stealth.
Pint-sized Torpedo.
Torpedo .5
TorpedoPetite
TinyTorpedo
TeenyTorpedo

I could go on and on...

deatea
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think there would be enough interest for a line of pic cases or would this need to strictly be a custom order. So far I have never had a call where my piccolo is the only trumpet I am carrying
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do occasionally, only use picc. But asides from that, I like the freedom and PROTECTION of having single cases for my horns. It's just the setup I like.
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that rarely would I have a gig that picc is the only horn needed. And even when it is, I often still warm up on a "big" horn.

But, a picc pod attachment would be awesome. Something that can zip/clip/strap to an outlaw or classic maybe in place of a mute bag????

I'm sure Steve will chime in and say whether any of this is even possible. Or, if its just not even cost effective for his company.

But, for instance, I have a new outlaw which is amazing. And the attached mute/music system is great. But, what about using the existing zipper and clips to add a picc case instead of the mute/music bag?

Anyhow...I'm sure Steve has already gone over this stuff....

Great cases!
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't even find a case (of any kind) designed to fit a Schilke 5-4 or 7-4 picc. None. Yeah, you make other things work, but not well. Schilke has no answer, and can't point you to one either. Pretty lame.

So, even if it's just to store the horn when not being carried to a gig, it's a hole in the market.

Currently, I'm carrying mine all over the place in my Coyote 2.5, even when I know there is absolutely 0% chance of me needing it, because I have nowhere else protective to put it.
deatea
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Currently, I'm carrying mine all over the place in my Coyote 2.5, even when I know there is absolutely 0% chance of me needing it, because I have nowhere else protective to put it."

Like you Randy I tend to carry my Pic to a lot of gigs where I know it will not be used simply because it was already in the case and a lack of proper storage space at home
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add, in retrospect, I don't want to carry a horn along with me that I indeed know I will not be using. Why take a horn with you you know you will not need, and risk that horn being damaged, stolen, ect, not mention extra extraneous luggage. That is the reason I like having separate small, single, portable cases. That works for me. I see no issues carrying, at most, two small cases and a music bag, and having the option to just take a single case if I want to.

And yeah, I have been looking into cases for the P5-4, and the best I got was the Protec cornet case with added homemade padding. Really? That horn is going over 4 grand new, and it doesn't have a proper case for it? Randy, you are so dang right. Same or worse with the P7-4. It gets even worse when I look into cases for shortbell 3 valve only piccs, which is what I will most likely be getting next. A P-7 or Yamaha 9820/9825. Sorry, a 'bag' of any sort is not going to cut it for a horn worth more than a decent used car. That is just not happening for me.
Blue Trane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you love your Schilke piccolo like I love mine you'll figure out how best to transport safely. I use a foam wedge from a Schilke hard case in a Protec ipac triple. I custom adjusted the modular pieces to minimize the instrument moving in the case and replaced the Protec shoulder strap with a strap much less likely to separate from the case itself.

If someone like Torpedo or Bonna would design a dedicated P5-4 slot in a double or triple case that was as protective or more so than my present set up I'd be happy to pay the money for the peace of mind protecting my favorite instrument.
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Trane wrote:

If someone like Torpedo would design a dedicated P5-4 slot in a double or triple case that was as protective or more so than my present set up I'd be happy to pay the money for the peace of mind protecting my favorite instrument.

The Coyote comes with 15 pads, which should be plenty to make a nice slot for any shaped pic. The 3 walls feature quadruple foam densities for crumple zones that don't involve your bell -- I'm fairly sure that's more protective than any homemade option. Lots of Shilke pic users own the Coyote.

http://torpedobags.com/products/multi-trumpet-cases/
612-849-3574
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
You can't even find a case (of any kind) designed to fit a Schilke 5-4 or 7-4 picc. None. Yeah, you make other things work, but not well. Schilke has no answer, and can't point you to one either. Pretty lame.

http://www.dillonmusic.com/p-7297-marcus-bonna-piccolo-trumpet-case-attachment-in-black.aspx

This case is amazing for a P5-4, fits like a glove. Surely there is a way you could figure out how to use the metal rings on it to secure it to a bigger torpedo case.

It does not fit a P7-4, and some Yamaha piccolos are a tiny bit too long. My schilke P4 (three valve) was also longer and would only fit if I removed the tuning shank.

Amazing case. If you have a schilke or a similar horn that fits, problem solved.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grizzle wrote:
Blue Trane wrote:

If someone like Torpedo would design a dedicated P5-4 slot in a double or triple case that was as protective or more so than my present set up I'd be happy to pay the money for the peace of mind protecting my favorite instrument.

The Coyote comes with 15 pads, which should be plenty to make a nice slot for any shaped pic. The 3 walls feature quadruple foam densities for crumple zones that don't involve your bell -- I'm fairly sure that's more protective than any homemade option. Lots of Shilke pic users own the Coyote.

http://torpedobags.com/products/multi-trumpet-cases/

It certainly works, as that's where I have mine now. I think what he was asking for, and I would be interested in as well as a stand-alone case suitable for a picc for when you don't want to carry it around in a Coyote or some sort of gig bag.

The Bonna "attachment" looks great for a 5-4, but wouldn't fit the wrap of a 7-4 from what I can see in the picture.

A homemade option might be the only one I have for a 7-4. Yet, if it's just to store it at home so it doesn't get damaged there, it might be ok for that. It's not like I have a lot of other choices at this point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: