• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton Galaxy Trumpet?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Holton Galaxy Trumpet? Reply with quote

There is some material in older TH archives threads here but quite little.

Anyone play or have a Holton Galaxy trumpet? There's one available in my area and I'm wondering how they're made. Most contributors to the topic had one years ago - I'm hoping for info from people that have one now.

How do they compare to other pro or intermediate vintage horns?

Thanks in advance for any that can contribute to the thread.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not handled a Galaxy... but that is a pro trumpet and it is definitely not junk. Whether it fits you, well, that's a personal thing.

But it is a pro horn 100% and if it's good condition and you like it, there is no reason to not buy it.

Tom (who owns a Holton 48 Deluxe)
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks; I've heard very good things about the Holton 48, the Llewellyn (sp?) and a few other older Holtons - but there's little said about the Galaxy.

One (and only one) BrassReview lists it as a pro horn by one owner but with no comment and its strong points.

Always curious about the lesser known vintage horns - and Holton horns don't seem to have too much publicity going for them.

Thanks, Tom; appreciate the comment.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:

Always curious about the lesser known vintage horns - and Holton horns don't seem to have too much publicity going for them.

Like Buescher, Holton is a marque of which little is known, therefore the horns are very inexpensive... but yet they are some of the best vintage horns around. In the 60s and into the 70s, Holton marketed horns to the students because there were a cubic buttload of them and that's where the money was.

People make fun of me but it's true: the Bach Stradivarius is clearly a student horn because so many students play them!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Holton Galaxy Reply with quote

Bought one last summer for like $150..good response,really nice sound..kind of unique sound good for jazz playing..Sweets Edison played one for awhile I think..The one I got seems to have a questionable scale(pitch) and I`m going to have the receiver checked..Would not play in shows or big band but for jazz Qt.and dixi its cool...interesting horn
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first trumpet was a new 1964 Holton Galaxy. Still have it. But, I always thought it was characterized as an "intermediate" horn. I think my parents paid $250 for it.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
But, I always thought it was characterized as an "intermediate" horn.

That is marketing bull.

I am getting pretty damned sick and tired of people classifying vintage horns by marketing.

There is no such thing as pro, intermediate, and student in the old days. Never was. You are doing yourself a disservice by insisting on classifications that the manufacturers didn't make themselves.

Instruments were produced for a price point so retailers could sell you a lower-priced horn if you couldn't pay a lot... or sell you the top of the line, if that's what you wanted.

Forgive me for being insulting, but yank your head out of your butt. Play the horn. If you like it? YAY! If not? It's not for you.

Many companies made a value line of horn. I know Buescher did with the Elkhart line. I know Holton did with the Collegiate line. I'be heard that Conn did with the Pan American line.

Ask Brett Getzen. Is their 300 series or 400 series a "student horn" necessarily, or are they built to a price point with the same care in design and manufacture as their more expensive instruments?

Just stop this "student" or "intermediate" crap and ask yourself, can I play this horn well? Does it have the features I need? Is the lack of an adjustable third slide an issue?

Not every horn is appropriate for every person. Play it and tell us. But don't dismiss some horn because of marketing crap, especially in the vintage horn arena.

Grr.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never owned one but want to. I like them. They tend to have a much darker sound then is Bach. I hate everyone myself included doing the " poor mans Martin" routine because none of those ever are. The problem is the current market place baring boutique trumpets are all biased to the Bach-ish, American H.S. band sound because that is where 99.9% came up from so nothing to compare too that is not equally out of production or not a boutique horn.

So think pro and think darker then Bach 72 and lots of color. Like any trumpet player sound concept and MP are always in this equation.

It is hard to find one that is not beat to snot. I was not alive when they where making these so I am not sure if it was their price or the brand but they seem to show up on ebay beat to death. They always sell for far more then I think they should kind of like the beat to snot Martins Com horn that seem to go for $1200-$1500 looking like they have been draged behind a school bus. Condition does not seem to matter with these anymore then it does with Martins of the right time frame.

Sound wise they remind me of a Conn Connstelation with a 3C or V cup MP. I would put the blow as feeling the same or more open. If I ever see one that is decent shape not going for some way too high price on ebay I would love to own one myself. It is nice to own toys that interest you instead of just playing with other mens interesting toys! I have a soft place in my heart for vintage trumpets that do not have Besson like bell profiles or sound profiles especially when they are domestic! Finding one in good shape is like trying to find a Getzen 90 Deluxe in great shape with the roller bearings in place and a bell that has never been wrinkled.....Rare

So in short if you like a darker then Bach sound and the price is right go for it. If you think Bach is the only sound concept worth owning stay away you will not be happy with this model. It is not so dark that you can not use it for all kinds of things it is just that you need to know it is not likely to blend in a section of Bach's and is not a good choice for doing commercial jingles or commercial overly bright jazz etc....It would be wrong not to point that out in this current era of almost all trumpets looking and sounding too much alike!!!

This next part might not be 100% correct but I think time frame matter's some as well. Like almost all all nickle trumpet models at some point they switched to yellow brass and just nickle plated them. I think this is accurate. Just like Olds Opera started out with almost all nickle construction at some point they went to just nickle plating yellow brass. I have an Olds Opera Bell that is raw brass. So if this is important to you and I am not so sure it should matter that much make sure you do your home work and make sure you get one before they switched materials. If this is not true of that model then it is one less thing to worry about. Check with an expert in these I am just a fan that like how they play that would like to own one not at all an expert on them.

A lot of people today do not get vintage horns that have non-Besson sound concept. We do not see the wide variety of bell profiles, leadpipes and sound concepts like we did in Pre-1950 Domestic brands that did not get there start copying Pre-War Besson design. I think by the late 1960's almost all original non-Besson like sound concepts and bell profiles where dieing off fast or totaly dead. Once in a blue moon you would see something but they did not last and are not with us today are they. SO just know that going in.

Holton horns get a bad rap especialy the large bore models of pro-horns they had and the older models like the Revelation and Lwyellen(sp). All of the MF large bore wonder horns for instance are treated like they are garbage by most and get talked down by most because they are not "Bach Clone". I just hate to see a good trumpet design get passed up because it is not a copy of everything else on the current market.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
tptptp wrote:
But, I always thought it was characterized as an "intermediate" horn.

damned sick and tired
doing yourself a disservice by insisting
Forgive me for being insulting, but yank your head out of your butt.
Just stop this "student" or "intermediate" crap
Grr.

Brother, I was just talking about a ranking of horn lines, the concept with which many people identify. Sorry to get you riled up...Oh, and my head is not in that dark place, thank you. And, I do forgive you.

Last edited by tptptp on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig; Thank you for the info - I appreciate it very much. It's always good to hear the impression of one who has the horn; that's what I asked for and was hoping for.

There is ample material, really a treasure trove, on the Olds line of horns and the vintage Conn horns as well. Sure wish there was more on lines like Holton. Again - thanks much.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Jonathan. Seems there isn't a high volume of Holton discussion compared to Olds, Bach, etc. I just got out my old Galaxy and oiled it up. Compared to some of my newer instruments, the Holton feels tighter, but is a nice playing instrument. Everything still works fine. I put a lot of mileage on it in the 6th-12th grades, and I thought it was fine, although back then, I seemed to feel that Bach Strad was an ultimate goal. Then I abandoned trumpet for 20 years. When I started back in about 1990, I thought I needed a Strad...Then a string of various horns!
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes; so many horns so little time.

Hard to beat a Strad for a good, solid sound with long-lasting valves. You have a Strad - you appear to fit in. Having said this, there are magnificent horns out with many different names attached and each horn should be measured on its own merits; most of us understand this without needing to say it.

And it is a bit of a shame that there isn't more on Holton horns on the net but each thread like this helps a bit. This forum appears high on Google search engines at least. Each horn that I pick up I try and post a vid on YouTube; a little playing, a little comment on the obvious strong points of each horn - so it all helps. Incidentally, I encourage the YouTube vids - you get the audio (if one chooses), opportunity for pic(s) as well and commentary... It's a winner all around, in my opinion.
Randall Nelson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Tom with his comments about the "intermediate" type horns....maybe as much as 85%

That said and back on topic, I have a Holton Galaxy cornet...I've seen the trumpets pop up from time to time and based on how well the Galaxy cornet plays and the build quality, I'd be inclined to grab one of the trumpets if I could find one locally in nice shape.

The build quality of my Holton is quite good and it plays very well with any mouthpiece I choose to use...it's a pretty big bore but doesn't seem to be any harder to play than smaller bore horns I have.

At the price you mentioned I think you could always flip it if you didn't like it.
Kanstul French Besson Marvin Stamm
Lawler C7
Getzen Custom 3051 LB RL
mffan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my comments on your cornet line post about Galaxies, about the trumpet I used to have.

www.kalamazooconcertband.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite all right. I've recently found a vintage Holton cornet and trumpet for sale. While they're different models I'm still accumulating good info on the Holton line - still taking what info I can from present or past Holton owners.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok; I plopped down the bucks and bought the Holton Galaxy I started the thread about.

A frequent story, I suppose... School kids plays trumpet and does well so his parents buy him a horn. They chose a Holton Galaxy. He plays it through school then puts it away in favor of the guitar. Buys a few guitars and enjoys playing and working on them, wants money to put into guitars and no longer has trumpet chops so the Holton Galaxy Bb trumpet goes up for sale.

So far, good for the seller and good for me. I started the thread to get an idea about them; I've not got much experience with Holtons.

The plus: Trent Austin likes one of the vintage Holtons from the 40's (I think it was). I also played a Holton MF horn in the 90's that was a magnificent player.

Well, I picked up the horn today, brought it home and bathed it. Did a bit of polish on it but the lacquer is pretty scuffed and bad looking. The bad news: Getting lacquer off nickel-silver is NOT for the faint of heart. I can get old lacquer off brass fairly easily in most instances (30-40 horns at least) but it's ALWAYS been a chore to get lacquer off the nickel-silver trim - and this horn is at least 60% nickel-silver. So... I dread process.

How does it play? Wow! What a nice playing horn. Excellent valves, short stroke and in great condition. The slides are very good too - and I love any third slide with a reservoir in it - wish every horn had them. Seems like a light bell on the horn and getting a ringing tone is effortless - and enjoyable.

Thus far, I'm finding the Galaxy to be a blast to play. I'll probably post a vid on YouTube within a week or so.
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan, I just bought a Galaxy that looks like its had very little use from the pictures. Should have it this week. Am a big fan of Holtons.

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a blast with mine. Light bell, clear, crisp sound; good resistance for me. Let me know how yours is, ok?
23y

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Galaxy that I purchased several years ago and it is a fine playing trumpet. The one I have is solid nickel except for the valve casings, but I understand some of the later models were just nickel plated. When I bought mine I looked around and found somewhere that this was the trumpet Buck Clayton played for some time. Based on my experience I would buy it.
Bill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan et.al,

The Holton Galaxy proved to be a sporty little horn. Valves were absolutely ultra smooth and fast, and yes the slides were slick and easily used.

I love the ringing tone quality it has with my standard MP. I switched to a deeper cup MP and the sound darkened considerably. A very well built horn for the money.

I'm going to sell it, as I picked up a nice Wild Thing last week when I least expected to find one, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

I found this job I'm in now 7 years ago when I wasn't looking for one.

Wilmington Big Band
Artistry In Jazz Big Band
Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone Blues Band
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: