• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practice Routines

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that young students need a fairly rigid routine to stick to to make sure they are practicing enough and covering all the aspects of playing they need to develop. However, I think adults or people that are already motivated to practice every day do not need a rigid routine. That's just my opinion. I don't have a routine right now. I have different things I do but it's not very structured. If I was an orchestral player or had the same gig every day, it would probably be a different story. I play gigs once a week or so in different situations.
When I pick up the horn I try to explore the sounds, sensations, and make discoveries and observations with every note I play. A routine can get in the way of that for me. I do certain things out of Arban's every day, and I play some kind of scales every day. I play high notes every day and I play low notes every day. Beyond that there is very little structure. I'm more concerned with how I am playing then what I am playing. This is what works for me. I came to this partially because I noticed when I played guitar or other instruments besides the trumpet, it came much more naturally to me and I coud spend hours playing without it seeming like a chore. I never had a routine on guitar or piano or drums, yet I progressed quickly and without mental strain. I tried to apply the same mindset to the trumpet.. more noodling, less reading out of books, more focus on listening and observing in the moment than on lengths of time. Like everything, balance is key. I probably should introduce more routine. But I think stream of conscious playing is equally important and should not be forgotten.
Judson Jay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the first hour is maintenance, the second hour is about improving/learning literature.

Steve Jones introduced me to "A Trumpeters Daily Routine" by Michael Chunn which was my daily warmup/maintenance routine for twenty years. In the past ten years I have branched out a bit adding a few exercises from "Special Studies" by John Daniel and some pedal tone/range exercises based on Maggio exercises.

http://judsonjayscott.com/styled/downloads/files/My%20Warm-up%202015.pdf

(No 12 is reserved for summer practice. Working that hard on range can negatively impact my orchestral playing.)
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a comeback player almost 5 years back in after 14 years away. As a retired (from my day gig) 68 year old, I had a good bit of time in my day to organize for personal growth in many facets of my life including effective use of my time in each. I also have a need for "routine" in my daily life to keep progressing without wasting valuable time (isn't every minute valuable?) doing unnecessary things.

Immediately, I had to evaluate what my goal as a trumpet player would be and try to remember things that were far in the back of my memory regarding how to get there efficiently. I read on TH a while back, about the use of a daily Practice Journal to organize and plan every session, as I recall, initiated by Trent Austin. I immediately spent an afternoon working out the details of a good format that laid out a space for the details of the session such as warm-up, focus and warm-down as well as start and finish times, and a "Comments" section at the end to jot down my immediate thoughts about the end results in light of the desired results for that session. I found out right away that I was in a better position to plan the next day's session(s). This has been most useful in my approach!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ain't what ya play, but how you play it
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
It ain't what ya play, but how you play it

+1

IMO, It's how you play everything you play. I TRY to Warm-up, practice and perform with the very best sound that I can, as accurately as I can and in-tune as much as I can. I TRY to practice at tempos that allow me to do all of those things at once. Not surprisingly, that's always challenging and often much slower than I would have thought especially when learning new (to me) skills and and incorporating those skills into my performance preparation! I resist the temptation to increase tempo until I can comfortably repeat those criteria multiple times with consistency. Then, and only then, I move tempo by measured increments, again sometimes quite small. Whenever I violate those principles, it becomes immediately noticeable and limiting in some aspect of my playing.

Will I ever be a great trumpet player? No, but I can always be a better trumpet player and that is why I continue to schedule my daily practice time and prepare for the performances I am called to do.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: