• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

enquiry concerning cases

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: enquiry concerning cases Reply with quote

Good morning, I am a "come back" player and am currently awaiting delivery of a new B flat Schilke trumpet. I am needing a case. I am enquiring as to the most protective, but light case that can be recommended- I would like to be able to "sling" it over my right shoulder. I would like it to have room for mutes and a little music. I am not a professional but foresee I will be putting it in the car and toting it around a little. Also, it will be in the house and not in a cupboard. I looked at a Selmer case. I thought someone might have an idea? regards Linda
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Welcome! Reply with quote

Welcome to TH, Linda! Lots of experience here with all sorts of cases. Hopefully you will receive some great advice. There are many case sources and manufacturers, as you probably know. Among the ten or so cases and gig bags I have laying around, two from PRO TEC may provide what you are seeking (http://www.protecmusic.com/Products.aspx?InstrumentID=38&InstrumentGroupID=1). PRO TEC has many cases to choose from. Hopefully availability is good in Australia. Good luck!
Jim
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and LOVE the Torpedo Classic. It's by far the most protective case I've had and it's a great relief to know I can toss it into the trunk or back seat without much concern.

It's got a shoulder strap and/or backpack straps, a nice size pouch for mutes/accessories, and a place for sheet music. All of these are removable too, if you want to go slim.
If you want something even lighter they make a gig bag type too. I've heard it's more protective than most gig bags, but can't say I've seen one in person.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the Torpedo. VERY protective, relatively light. The mute bag holds a lot, as does the music pouch, and the Classic model comes with back pack straps and a shoulder strap. IMO, the best case out there, and you can find it for around 175.00.

Brad361
christophac7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third for the Torpedo, I've been using it for about a year now, and it has survived all the wear and tear of College life. They have two models you may consider

Classic: A "hard" case, but very lightweight and EXTREMELY protective. May be a bit pricier than a Pro-Tec or Gator case, but it's basically like buying insurance on your horn.

Outlaw: Exact same design as the classic, but without the hard plastic shell, thus classified as a "gig bag". Not as protective as the Classic, but still gets the job done more than any other gig bag on the market, at slightly less cost than the classic.
Picc: Carol Brass 7770
Cornet: Buescher Model 266 Custom
Flugel: CFL-6200-GSS-SLB
TorpedoBags® Student Artist
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BAM Trekking case is very protective and light, and has some internal room for extras as well as an external music pouch, backpack straps, and a rain protector. The Selmer case sold with the recently discontinued series of Selmer trumpets (Chorus 80J, Concept TT, and Sigma) is very similar to the BAM (probably even made by them).
trumpetguy27
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TORPEDO
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the protection level of a hard case, Torpedo bags are as protective and indestructable as you can get. Short of being dropped out of a second story window or run over by a tank, I'm confident that my horn is fully protected in its Torpedo Classic (single) case. A minor disadvantage, or inconvenience, of the Torpedo Classic is that you need to strap/zip on an external bag for mutes or music. Also, due to their extreme protectiveness, Torpedo bags are somewhat heavy.

If you would be satisfied with a bit less protection, you might want to consider a Brass Bags double or triple bag with the "extra boards" option. That gives you about the same protection as a hard case on the bottom and sides of the bag, and the protection level of a good gig bag on the top of the bag. Plus, they are very light weight and have room for music and mutes without need for external attachments.
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got my Torpedo Single Outlaw w/ combination mute bag and music holder yesterday (in black nylon). It's replacing the old WolfPak single case with mute bag I've been using for 15 years. The WolfPak was just getting a little tired (zippers starting to go, inner lining starting to rip, just getting old)

A few obvious improvements of the Outlaw vs. the WolfPak.

Circular vs square shape of the WolfPak gives a room for more foam padding around the horn.

Pre-formed foam padding inside the Outlaw cradles your horn without feeling like I'm cramming it sideways in the darn case (WolfPak).

Improved "non-slip" shoulder strap of the Outlaw vs the WolfPak keeps your case from wanting to fall off your shoulder during transport.

The Outlaw detachable mute bag and music holder (Chuckwalla option) zips and snaps securely to the case- no flopping about, hitting you in the back. (BTW, the Outlaw Chuckwalla mute bag has a LOT of room and is a nylon-covered plastic tube that provides a lot of mute protection).

The zipper lid-pouch in the Outlaw will hold a couple mpc's, valve oil, etc., that allows quick access. Everything you need to get going for the rehearsal quickly, no rummaging about in accessory pockets, etc., Boom, mpc, horn, good to go for those people that tend to run *late* like me:)

The Torpedo Outlaw will stand up on it's end, too ( IDK, seems cool)

Its light, too, only 3 lbs! (I'll have to weigh my old WolfPak), but the Outlaw feels significantly lighter.

And there's additional options available for this case in case you ever need something. Steve Kriesel has really brainstomed on this (cool stuff I hadn't even though of)

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase!

mc
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torpedo Single Outlaw. Best single case ever made.
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Torpedo Bags!!
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Walt Johnson cases are right near the top for protection. But they are expensive. Then again, it's always free to window shop the internet!

http://www.johnsoncases.com
byarranton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torpedo Outlaw!!! In Loredo leather is a real treat!! I love mine.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: enquiry concerning cases Reply with quote

OP...for your sake I hope your new Schilke has a FIXED BELL!!! I can't imagine putting a TUNING BELL Schilke in one of the Torpedo cases and pulling it out by the bell. That's just an accident waiting to happen IMO!

Butch
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: enquiry concerning cases Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
OP...for your sake I hope your new Schilke has a FIXED BELL!!! I can't imagine putting a TUNING BELL Schilke in one of the Torpedo cases and pulling it out by the bell. That's just an accident waiting to happen IMO!

Butch

I don't have a schilke, but I can a tuning bell C, and I've packed it in a torpedo with no problems.
You should always treat your horns gently.

(another Torpedo single case fan here)
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: enquiry concerning cases Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't have a schilke, but I can a tuning bell C, and I've packed it in a torpedo with no problems.
You should always treat your horns gently

Good to hear. Let me rephrase my original statement then...because I take great care of all of my horns I, PERSONALLY, would not want to handle MY tuning bell horns that way. Again...that's just ME though. "Different strokes for" I guess!! I am glad you found a good case...they're hard to come by!

Butch
Linda

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou all for your thought and input.
Yes, it is a tuning bell Schilke and I didn't know that you have to put the trumpet out by the bell-and yes, I am gentle. I will investigate the Torpedo Classic, the Torpedo Outlaw and in Laredo leather (thankyou). I will also investigate Walt Johnson and "BAM?"

I am now the better as I have 4 recommendations out of one posting on this site.
Where I live there are not a lot of retailers of brass and their áccoutrement, so I will probably buy using the web-thankyou all again. Cheers, Linda
" A problem shared is a problem solved"
david mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not put your tuning bell trumpet in a bag before putting in the case that way you pull on the bag and not the bell when removing the horn? just a thought from an old geezer.
assorted other horns
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest checking out Walt Johnson cases. A little pricey but are very nice. The single case is just the ticket for airline travel. Was looking at them yesterday, in fact.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want someting light and slim, the Reunion Blues Continental Single Case can be a great choice!

Unlike the Torpedo Outlaw it doesn't feature a hard shell, but it holds the trumpet so firmly between two thick layers of soft and very dense padding, that the trumpet is really well protected against about everything that can occur. Just, don't sit on it!

Only real drawback in my opinion, if you want to carry mutes and music you'll need to do it separately.

But is it really a problem?

The mutes you can put them in a mute bag: the Protec for example is very good and inexpensive, and you can clip it easily where you want.

The music can go in about every bag large enough - a plastic bag for example.

Personally I prefer to use a case / bag very light and slim for the trumpet, and if I need to carry something else, carrying it in another bag that won't be very heavy or bulky either.

Bb Trumpets: Courtois Évolution IV, Stomvi Forte,
Buescher T-120, HT3.
Mpcs: Monette B2s3, Kanstul M-B2.
Flugel: H.Bagué (Yam 631 clone in red brass).
Mpcs: Curry FL & FLD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: