• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

B+H Imperial Class A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: B+H Imperial Class A Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm going to try out a Boosey and Hawkes Imperial Class A (serial 129XXX) cornet tomorrow as a prospective instrument for one of my students. I don't have much experience with these instruments - can anyone give me some pointers on what to look for and/or look out for?

Thanks!

EDIT - if this helps/is relevant, it's not the shepherd's crook style.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have never heard of the Imperial Class A, only the Imperial (I have a late 1960s Imperial)

Presumably this is a very old instrument.

I am not sure whether it is relevant to a non shepherds crook model, but the shepherds crook mode Imperial, has a high pitch and low pitch version, as brass bands (was it only brass bands that played in high pitch?) changed from high pitch to low pitch A=440 (I'm very sorry I can't remember the date or the frequency of A with the high pitch).

If it is a high pitch conversion, depending on how well it has been converted, intonation can be a little interesting.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll be sure to check it with a tuner.
FrankM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial number seems to date it to 1927. Boosey joined with Hawkes in 1934. So there's your first mystery. The B&H serial numbers start around 145000. Class 'A' is a designation more usualy associated with Besson. I don't think Imperial instruments existed pre 2nd WW so the earliest ones dating to late 1940's would have a serial number starting around 168000. If you buy the instrument I'd be interested to see some pictures.

Best wishes, Frank
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
Thanks! I'll be sure to check it with a tuner.

You are very welcome.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Class A" was used by Boosey prior to the merger with Hawkes (which I believe was more like 1930). They also produced a second line, "Class B", which were reportedly not assembled on the same line as the best instruments. But it is likely to be an early instrument, and because the British brass bands persisted with HP instruments long after most of the rest of the Western world had switched to a=440, it definitely should be checked with a tuner. Some instruments were, of course, made with extra slides or other provisions for changing between HP and LP.
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boosey Co. combined with Hawkes & Son in 1934. The serial number is a Boosey number for late 1927 to early 1928. That type of instrument was almost certainly made for export to the USA so is unlikely to be in high pitch,......it sould be marked 'LP'. British military bands changed to low, or 'orchestral' pitch in 1930, but brass bands did not change until immediately after WWII, and then took some 10+ years to do so. Most if not all British made instruments of this general era, ie, between the wars, are marked with a pitch legend.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevenson wrote:
The Boosey Co. combined with Hawkes & Son in 1934. The serial number is a Boosey number for late 1927 to early 1928. That type of instrument was almost certainly made for export to the USA so is unlikely to be in high pitch,......it sould be marked 'LP'. British military bands changed to low, or 'orchestral' pitch in 1930, but brass bands did not change until immediately after WWII, and then took some 10+ years to do so. Most if not all British made instruments of this general era, ie, between the wars, are marked with a pitch legend.

The Edinburgh City Brass Band stayed in high pitch until it folded in the 1980's!
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
CharlesM

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankM wrote:
The serial number seems to date it to 1927. Boosey joined with Hawkes in 1934. So there's your first mystery. The B&H serial numbers start around 145000. Class 'A' is a designation more usualy associated with Besson. I don't think Imperial instruments existed pre 2nd WW so the earliest ones dating to late 1940's would have a serial number starting around 168000. If you buy the instrument I'd be interested to see some pictures.

Best wishes, Frank

Bob Stevenson wrote:

An attempt to address this mystery.

There's an Imperial Class A trumpet currently on sale on ebay, which led me to this thread. Looking then at Arnold Myers's "Journal of surviving Boosé, Boosey and Boosey & Hawkes brass instruments" (at http://homepages.ed.ac.uk/am/gdsj.html ) two things stood out.

Firstly, B&H have all kinds of brass instruments sold as "Imperial Class A" in exactly the post WW2 period.

Secondly, there are serial numbers and there are separate piston numbers, often (e.g. as in the current ebay item) on the 2nd valve casing. If the number 129xxx is a piston number, rather than a serial number, that would put the cornet in this thread (and trumpet one on ebay) as dating to the late 1940s - maybe 1947 or 1948.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to it bering an instrument for a prospective student... no it is not. Giving a kid a tight blowing, (usually) clunky, heavy old cornet with no possibility of adjusting intonation will most likely not end up well.

Get them a more modern and acceptable playing instrument to start on.

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: