• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warming up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stefan1979

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Warming up Reply with quote

On the website http://www.danmillerjazz.com/embouchurebuilding.html I found the next quote about Caruso:

Quote:

Never begin your routine with this exercise, only practice it when completely warmed up.

Should I first start a warming up before playing Caruso?
LDK-97
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always do 10-15 minutes of Selected parts of Cichowicz VC 1 before I do Caruso. Works for me and dont forgett to rest in between.

Caruso is great but it can kill You....
Bach Stradivarius Artisan Piccolo
Yamaha 8335GS Neo Bb
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, Caruso never said this. The six notes is a fine way to start your day
LDK-97
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never aproach the Caruso method without getting My airflow going and some blood into My lips, Hey.. But thats me.

Give it a serious try, both ways, se what works best for You. With or without some warmup.
Yamaha 8335GS Neo Bb
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took lessons from Caruso in the 70s. I am recounting what he taught. the six notes are an excellent warm up. if you have different ideas and they work for you fine but Caruso never spoke of air flow, etc. The six notes are at all strenuous and are great to set you up for what is to come
LDK-97
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Freedman wrote:
I took lessons from Caruso in the 70s. I am recounting what he taught. the six notes are an excellent warm up. if you have different ideas and they work for you fine but Caruso never spoke of air flow, etc. The six notes are at all strenuous and are great to set you up for what is to come

Great info, have a good one!

Martin
Yamaha 8335GS Neo Bb
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmine told me that some people did a short warm up before his calisthenics and others just jumped right in first thing in the morning. He suggested I try it both ways and go with what worked for me.

For the years I studied with Carmine the six notes was the first thing I played virtually every day.

P
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caruso didn't say NOT to do something very often. That wasn't his style. Especially to not start with the Six Notes. He once said that the Six Notes followed by the Seconds was a warm up used by some/many of his students.

His advice on warmiing up was to start playing like you had just put the horn down 5 minutes ago, even if it had been weeks or months since the last time you had played. He used to say that you make it happen and not wait for it to happen and by doing this it will start working sooner. This will probably be uncomfortable for many (at first) but, know that it will, and does, work for many players.

Don't be afraid of the horn. If you're training the muscles with Caruso they'll learn to focus quickly when you start playing. The lips are just skin tissue. What's to warm up? Warm-ups are over rated.
Stefan1979

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers and will try both ways.

I followed the Caruso schedule for about 2 months now.
The last rehearsals and gigs I started with warming at home with the Six Notes followed by the Seconds.
Yesterday I had a gig and my notes were totally out of pitch and no endurance. The first set was taking about 30 min. Normally no problem for me but yesterday it was terrible.

The next set was about an hour later, again same problem.
So, I was thinking my warm up was too short or wrong.
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stefan1979 wrote:
Thanks for your answers and will try both ways.

I followed the Caruso schedule for about 2 months now.
The last rehearsals and gigs I started with warming at home with the Six Notes followed by the Seconds.
Yesterday I had a gig and my notes were totally out of pitch and no endurance. The first set was taking about 30 min. Normally no problem for me but yesterday it was terrible.

The next set was about an hour later, again same problem.
So, I was thinking my warm up was too short or wrong.

If you don't do them correctly, you won't get the benefits and your playing could deteriorate. I would just do 6 notes for a week or two and add the intervals slowly, maybe a few weeks before going to the next interval. There is no hurry. Charly Raymond, was, I guess the original manager for the Caruso forum and he wrote some detailed instructions about getting started. If you are really interested, read the threads, otherwise just stick to the 6 notes as part of your warm up.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The six notes are great for a warmup. They set up the feel for the embouchure. So are other warmups. The issue for me is teaching the muscles to do the exactly same thing every time with a measured beat. Unless the warmup is very organized and not just this or that, the muscles are not being imprinted. So, I do the 6 notes. They allowed me to comeback with exactly the same embouchure setting after a 12 year layoff.

I have had students who hated doing the 6 notes. If a player needs to move things around when changing notes, the 6 notes can expose this. In those cases things can kind of fall apart until the embouchure is re-set by removing the mouthpiece from the lips.

Less movement, more organized warmup leads to more accuracy in my opinion. I used to go up to 4 weeks (32 shows) without chipping a note back in the day. I attributed that to Carmine Caruso.

Cheers,

Gordon
Stefan1979

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try Jerry's advice. I will keep you informed.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much the same for me. Carmine told me to start with the Six Notes and I did exactly that for many years. As Pat says, you develop the feeling of putting the horn up and playing rather than needing to warmup or re-warmup for each session. I look at other players going through tedious steps while getting ready to play and it sometimes makes me feel like I should be doing something Nevertheless, I just get out the horn, oil the valves, toot a note or two and I'm ready.

Stefan, as to your experience with your performance, I have to think something else was at play. I believe the Six Notes and an interval are the perfect set-up for a day of playing. If I have an early gig, I'll make sure I get up early in order to have time for the Six Notes and an interval before I leave the house. That seems to pull my face together and I'm ready to go.

Alan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: