• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jazz Studies or Performance Degree

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeTrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@royjohn Thanks for your input! I will definitely come back to this thread one day and let y'all know what I chose and how things end up.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator,

Maybe I wasn't entirely clear. . .I was not suggesting that the OP take anything but a performance major as his first major. He can take any other major he wants or any minor that leaves him with more opportunities than just a performance major leading to playing opportunities on trumpet.

I think you make some good points about Mus. Ed. majors not getting the playing opportunities they want. While I'm sure that there are situations where you could have conflicts between two programs, in most cases these could be resolved by proper planning. You can lose out on finishing ONE major in time if your planning is not good (courses not given in the right semester, etc.), but people do double majors all the time and many finish in four years.

I just got back from a graduation. My friend got an MPH at the University of Washington while studying for and passing the Foreign Medical Boards for doctors educated overseas who want to do residencies here. So he completely reviewed his medical school courses while also doing the MPH. One of his colleagues did the MPH while also doing a residency in surgery. I did a doctorate in psychology while working half time in a mental health center. And you're telling me it's going to be way difficult for an undergraduate to turn some of his required courses outside his major into a second major? C'mon, let's get real. If he isn't a good student, it might be impossible, but if he takes well to college level instruction, all it should require is a little more planning and effort. Possibly a little less elbow bending with the frat boys.

At many schools, after you get over twelve credit hours per semester, tuition is the same, so the extra courses are essentially free, except for the books and lab fees, if any. So a second major could be an incredible bargain. Any, as I said, it could be in something music related, such as composing and arranging or recording.

With numerous metropolitan symphony orchestras cutting back on salaries and personnel and universal recorded music cutting back on playing opportunities all the time, I think it pays for most folks to have more options. That's all I said. I didn't say take music ed and I didn't say take oboe or any other instrument which won't help you later. Just consider more than one major. . .
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn --

I don't think our viewpoints are really all that far away on this. I think it's a good idea to at least lay the foundation for a Plan B -- I did.

One of the things my teacher said to me early in my undergrad was, "Don't spend so much time building a safety net that you're tempted to use it." I think his view was that having some real consequences to failure might be a handy motivation when the temptation to slack off arises. I can't say whether he was right or wrong, because I didn't need the net. But I do know that sometimes I need a kick in the butt to get going and staring down at no net was probably a helpful factor from time to time.

I also think that it's important that the first priority be developing a great Plan A and sticking to it. If that leaves room for a Plan B that doesn't in any way compromise Plan A, then I'm all for it. But I think it's a mistake to, for instance, pick a school that doesn't offer the best teachers or ensemble opportunities but does offer a double major or whatever.

I think we all agree that making a living in music isn't easy. My concern is that in preparing for the possibility of failure, it's possible to make decisions that make that possibility a likelihood. That seems like the wrong approach. After all, if the worst case scenario is that you're 22 years old with a degree, you still have plenty of options. Most of us know lots of people who made significant changes to their careers long after that point.
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this is off point, but I just gotta say.......with all the back-biting and unnecessary tensions created at times on this forum........it is really nice to see the community pull together to help guide a kid. And it's a good reminder to myself that although we may be an eccentric lot at times there are an awful lot of trumpet players around this country who are just good folks.
JakeTrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who posted here for their help!
JJMDestino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some good advice presented here so far. I would just like to add a few, as I am not that far removed from college. I graduated with a masters in 2009. I made the decision going into my education that I would make my living in music. So with that in mind I decided that I would not have a "back-up" plan. Even when I was getting to the end of my education, with all of the uncertainty with trying to pay the bills, I thought about getting a day job. Fortunately I was surrounded by people that believed in my abilities and gave me some great advice. So I do in fact make my living as musician. I also support a family on top of it.

To me the thing that made the difference was working as hard as you possibly can. I put more emphasis on becoming the best musician/trumpet player I can be. I did graduate with a very respectable GPA, however, I would never sacrifice trumpet for academics. I was pretty much at the bottom my first year in school. I worked my tail off and ended up doing just fine for myself. I agree with Pat 100%. There are enough bad teachers out there for someone to get an Ed degree as a back up plan. Only teach if that is what you love to do. Oh, and I disagree that being a music teacher is an easy gig. It is hard work especially if you have to do marching band. I could go on and on about that.

There are opportunities out there. You just have to be as marketable as possible and most importantly, be somebody people want to work with. Word of mouth has gotten me more gigs than anything. Strive to be versatile. Last week I played trumpet in a big band, a rock band, and even got payed to play a gig on guitar. Set some difficult goals and work as hard as you can. Go for it and never regret it.

Justin M.
JakeTrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,
Thanks for your personal insight! I hope one day I can say the same as you, playing professionally and raising a family on it. Music is what I love, so I'm going to "go for it" and do what I love. There always some way to be involved in music, you just need to be versatile and persistent, like you said. Once again thank you for your kind words!
Jake
kanemania
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: What's the difference between a trumpet and a pizza?

A: You might be able to feed a family of four with a pizza.
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanemania wrote:
Q: What's the difference between a trumpet and a pizza?

A: You might be able to feed a family of four with a pizza.

I've heard a similar joke before, but there was a different word instead of the word "trumpet"

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
kanemania
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accordion?
KRossum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JakeTrumpet,

So... How's it going? Can you give us a little follow-up on your chosen path?

Cool/Thanks,
-Kelly
aolivero

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do jazz I would highly recommend USC (southern california). I'm about to graduate here and the jazz program is second to none!
bdbrescia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy went to Indiana for his performance degree and says that it was awesome school for it!
Bob5610

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a music ed. major in college. The education classes never really got in the way of the performance classes. I played in almost every performing group that was available, as well as learning the basics on all of the other instruments so I could be a music teacher someday. That was 30 years ago. I've been a general music teacher grades K-8, a HS band director and my current job is an elementary school instrumental music teacher grades 3-6. I've continued to play the whole time. I've done all types of gigs over the years. But the stability of a teaching job provided the steady income and benefits that a performer sometimes lacks. Teaching isn't easy these days either, but I think getting the degree is worth it. I hope this helps.
Bob
cpasley1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Jazz schools, I went to the University of North Florida around the year 2000, and while I'm sure many things have changed, it was a great school then, not too expensive, with a great program. As was said elsewhere in the thread... didn't actually end up using it professionally, but I learned a lot about commitment to a craft there.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie thread!

For anyone who comes across this thread with the same question that our OP had 5 years ago, I'll offer an example - use it for what you will.

I know a kid who recently graduated from college with a degree in jazz guitar. He's currently working in a music store giving lessons to little kids, and to my knowledge, he's not gigging. The jazz degree angle was always kind of puzzling to me because from my perspective he was always more interested in metal guitar, not jazz.

I heard some of his senior recital - a couple of short clips and recordings. Awful. Musicianship was bad, the writing (done by this kid) was terrible, and had I been there, I may have been tempted to ask one of his instructors, who I know on a personal basis, if this is what the average student could expect to show for 4 years of jazz instruction. There was just no practical application for any of it outside of an academic setting. It was seriously laughably bad.

I'm left wondering what the future holds for this kid because he just blew a lot of money and time on a degree that from a practical perspective is almost worthless.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: