• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Move up horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pands

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking to buy my son who is a high school sophomore a new horn soon. He has been borrowing an old student Holten since he started playing 5 years ago. I would like to get him a horn that is a step up but can only afford between $500 -$600. I have no problem with a used horn and figure that's the way to go given my budget. At any rate I'm looking for recommendations. Thanks
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to http://www.dillonmusic.com and check out their used horn selection. they usually have a lot of used horns that are reasonably priced. You might even luck up and find him a pro horn within your price range.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, for that money you could get a pre-UMI LA Benge or a pre-UMI King Silver Flair or a Holton MF horn or a Conn Constelation or an Olds Super, etc etc. --not necessarilly in bad condition or even fair--possibley in excellent condition--a horn that was the best anyone could buy just a few (20 to 40) years back...personally I like my 77 Benge mlp better than anything I've tried lately (except for a Lawler...)
E.D.Lewis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen makes good horns and you can usually find a used pro. model in that price range. Pre-UMI Benge and King, as stated above, are decent and I think the newer ones are worth a try also. The new Benge 90B isn't a bad horn and a used one would fall into your price range. Good luck!!
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye out for a used Besson Meha made by Kanstul. You can often find ones in that price range in excellent condition. I think those are the best value you'll find in that range. From my experience, they are usually better than many horns that pros play. Best regards, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: