• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

my new horn :) (courtois prestige )

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finaly picked up a new horn
http://marc.thefuse.net/trumpet/courtois/r16.jpg
http://marc.thefuse.net/trumpet/courtois/r19.jpg
http://marc.thefuse.net/trumpet/courtois/r24.jpg
http://marc.thefuse.net/trumpet/courtois/r25.jpg

it's a courtois prestige SN 82621 and yes it is BLUE... er was... the pics i have are from over a year ago when i saw the horn on ebay and lost by a mear $25 as i recall (went for just under $400) when i lost i emailed the person doing the auction and asked if the guy backed out... he didn't... i then emailed the high bidder and asked that if he ever wanted to sell to let me know...

durring the the year the guy owned it he had the blue striped and had some custom heavy bottom valve caps made, he had planned to have the bell copper plated... but due to some issues he chose to sell... it was a back up horn so no biggie to him. it should be here w/ in a week... total cost w/ shipping $410 well worth it if it's ANYTHING like the one i played at the brasswind 2 years ago (that one was copper insulated, and beat to hell, and $675 as i recall... it was the best playing horn i've ever played especaily in the sound department... the stomvi sounded like pure crap in compaison.

does anyone have any real info on these horns like bore size and such? and that 3rd pic... whats the rest of the stuff on it say?

just figured i'd post i'll get some decent pics when the horn acculy gets here

mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that the horn with the removeble leadpipe?

i heard from somewhere (cant remember were) that that blue colour was put on it intentionaly, not just to make it look good. i could be wrong though. nice looking horn as it is i think, has that 'customized' edge to it!

have fun, sam
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it has the removable lead pipe... i belive the blue color was a form of insulation... not a big issue as it'll be copper insulated down the road i've been told it's fairly inexpensive to have done... and i love the look of copper

mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

each to their own, i like to keep my stuff origional, but i have to say it would look great in copper. make sure you post some pics when its done.

have fun, sam
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the horn today... had to run it up to my tech guy to fix the dent in the 3rd valve slide reciver, he did it on the spot and got the slide to fit... just barely... he said when i drop it off for an acid bath he'll lap the slide so it will acculy slide haha.

man i hafta say this horn is UGLY... but in an awesome way... it plays amazingly... the horn has had a hard life, but i'm going off to a university next year and marching is a BIG part of my scholarship so i won't feel bad marching with it at least.

i'll hafta get pics of it up soon, gota get batterys for the digi cam 1st though haha

overall for $410 shipped i'm very happy so happy that i'm already looking around for where i can find a mint condition horn of the same model lol.

mark
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i snaped a few crappy shots... i need to get better ones but that requires new batteries for the digi cam and natrual light so i gota do it durring the day time doh.

http://marc.thefuse.net/trumpet/courtois/P1010019.JPG just a nice overview the blue portion had started to be polished away by the prior owner... the bell has had a lot of work done to it in it's past... it still "leans" a bit towards the body... the gold portion is all raw brass.

http://marc.thefuse.net/trumpet/courtois/P1010020.JPG this snap shows the quick release lead pipe... there where something like 4 or 5 avalible back in the 80's... somone tolde about this in an email i gota dig it up... hopefuly hotmaild didn't delite it for me.

http://marc.thefuse.net/trumpet/courtois/P1010021.JPG this shows pics of the 1.0 oz ccaps sitting next to the custom raw brass valve caps... the prior owner had them custom made... they are very nicely done peices... good bit wider then the ccaps and a tad longer... thankfuly the bach tr300 has the same threads as this horn so i can swap between my ccaps, the custom ones and the stock light ones from the bach.

http://marc.thefuse.net/trumpet/courtois/P1010022.JPG nice overview of the horn... i love the pinkey hook.

mark
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got back from lessons... my teacher says he belive the bell is steriling silver... and the inner portion of the bell is gold wash/plate

that could be part of the reason for such a great playing horn.

mark
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after talking to the guy that was working on polishing the bell and then my local tech they both agree that they think the blue finish is just a controled tarnish of some sort... so i went to wal-mart and picked up some tarn-x and wrights silver cream.

i diped a cotton ball into the tarn-x ad left it on the blue portion of the bell, it amazingly made the horn silverish again... but it left some sort of residue... i used the wright's silver cream to polish it up a bit... wow it's amazing... it's going to be a lot of work doing the entire horn but it'll be nice having a horn that isn't multi colored haha.

mark
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that was easy

http://marc.thefuse.net/trumpet/courtois/cleanbell/ i'm not looking forward to doing the valve body now... but i want the horn to look decent

mark
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marching's a big part of your scholarship? Are you going to USF?
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U of North Alabama, i'm looking around for another horn for the marching duties now... wouldn't mind marching a 3x or something like that, i'd march my bach tr300 but it's raw brass... and we all know how raw brass and sweat mixes
mark
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woot... i finished tarn-xing the horn, the horn is now no longer blue... wow it looks like a completely differnt horn... i'm droping it off at my local repair guy tommarow... just going to have him re mount the bell, give it an acid bath, and have him lap the 3rd valve so it acculy slides.... when alls said and done i'll have spent $460 on a horn that plays amazingly and looks fairly nice... obviously used in it's life time though.

i'll prob have it refurbed over next summer depending on the cost... then again maybe i should just look for another horn like it haha

mark
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going for the full works (which it sounds like), surely gold plating is the next step?

Might look a bit prettier than the original blue.

Isn't it nice when you find a trumpet you really like.
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure where i want to go w/ the horn... i've never been a big fan of silver... to be honest i'd have loved it if the last owner had just left it blue... although having to let people play the horn after shooting me odd looks would get old haha.

gold plate is an option but i don't know... it's not cheap for one... then again drunkiq's schilke that he had done in satin gold is awesome... the last owner planed to have the bell copper plated/insulated... if i could have it finished like the zues w/ the brushed laquer finish w/ the rose brass bell that would be sweet... but the more custom work = more $$$ doh....

i realy think i'd end up better off if i just found another horn identical to this one but in better condition... we shall see when the time comes

mark
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as it says... finished for now... all nice and silver, nickle, and raw brass... plays wonderfuly and looks good from 5 feet... i've never been one that cared how my horn looked anyway... er other then me polishing the horn a bit.

http://marc.thefuse.net/trumpet/courtois/finishedfornow/P9240054.JPG
http://marc.thefuse.net/trumpet/courtois/finishedfornow/P9240064.JPG

enjoy
mark
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that valve block looks great against the raw brass, possibly better that with that bluish sorta look!! nice one,

have fun, sam
livertwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

The horn looks great! Good job! If I were you, I would just leave it as is. Don't invest more money (for an overhaul, that is) if it plays well. Get the valve lapped and make it functionally up to snuff. If you need a valve job, yeah, I can understand that. But that horn looks reeeeeally cool now that it's silver and brass. I think Jim Hatfield reccomends Billet motorcycle polish to polish it up and then a carnauba car wax to "seal" it. Apparently it lasts a couple months before you have to wax it again. And besides, maybe you'll like the sound of raw brass? I'm expecting an Olds Special cornet to arrive any day that I'm going to strip to RB and I'll let you know how it goes. I've only ever played on lacquer horns, so...

Oliver
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love raw brass... i'm going to let the horn tarnish up a good bit... i'm not a big fan of the shiny raw brass... if it's raw let everyone know it ya know? lol... er other thent he raw brass portion inside the bell... that'll stay polished would look goofy w/ the rest of the bell shiny haha

i mostly want the valve body replated... there are a bunch of ware spots that go all the way though the silver... i may just get a valve gaurd and call it a day though.

now i've got to find another horn for marching come next year... i don't want to march w/ this horn and i won't use my beginner bach (raw brass) to march w/... hasta be silver or laquer... something that won't turn the gloves green haha... i played a new connstalation yesterday... my range on that was amazing... the V1 was so stuffy up there as was the "pro" jupiter... i should have tried the benge 3x but if i'm buying a benge it's going to be a real benge haha... me thinks i need to find somone that'll sell me an old benge LB horn maybe a meha? choices choices.

mark
Hokie_Pokie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe...the dangers of trumpet repair. The ugly duckling you planned to march with has transformed into a beutiful swan! Now yo need ANOTHER horn!! I could see this turning into a vicious cycle.

Good luck, it's great you found a horn you like so much.
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had planned on this being my everything horn... although i figured i'd march w/ my raw brass bach... but unless i ware gloves that thing is going to make my hnads stank bad.

my private teacher has quazi threatend me if i march w/ my new horn... lol.

i've got to find something decent... i like large horns and w/ marching an older large bore horn should fit the bill perfectly... UMI horns are fairly cheap used... seem like they'll make a good option to look at when the time comes

mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: