• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pro-Pac Case Saves My Horns!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So last night I had a 9/11 remembrance ceremony/concert at the beach. No big deal, load up the gear trucks, drive to the beach, set-up, play then do the reverse and come home. On the way back I was in one of the gear trucks and we hear a huge clank, wham, bam, etc. The typical sounds made from gear in the back falling over.

Two sounds in particular were those of the chimes falling over and hitting the concert bass drum follwed by yet another thud/crash. Me and the guy driving had a good laugh at that because it was just a shoddy pack job. I remember about 20 minutes from base that my horns were back there, in a Pro-Pac double case. Not the most sturdy case in the world. So I start to sweat.

We get back to unload and we can't open the door more than a foot. Once it's finally open I see the damage. The timp cases had rolled into the chimes, the chimes had fallen over onto the concert bass drum which had fallen over onto the vibraphone which had all fallen onto my case. The case was crushed and still supporting all the weight. It was a pitiful sight.

Once we got the load righted, I took the case inside expecting to have mashed trumpets. Amazingly enough, there was no damage to either of my horns, but the case is toast. I've had that case for about 10 years now and have always wondered if it would withstand a shot like that. I'm very pleased it did it's job. Now I just have to get a new case!

John

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright! I have a ProTec Trumpet/Flugel combo case and after hearing a lot of stories about how they are great for a while, but aren't durable for the long haul, I've often wondered who well my horns would be protected like say if the case got knocked down a flight of stairs or something. (Happened to me once with a Bach in a Bach hard case. Horn was fine, but the case was always loose at the hinges after that.)

I'm glad to know that my babies are ProTec-ted. HA!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know they case took the beating rather then the horns... i've wondered about my protec case a few times... seems it being well padded then having the styrafoam (SP?) would let the case give alot more then a typical hard case... at least to a point.

mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Callichio's the Army bought us are packed in single Pro Tech cases that don't feel to be too sturdy... on one of our many Kosovo trips, the genius guys who palletized our stuff packed the protech under some heavy stuff and I got the case back all crumpled up like an accordian. The horn was fine, but the case made maximum use of it's crumple zones.
-J
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say that I am delighted your horns survived, but you probably just got lucky. I use a ProPac, too, but just for light duty. The things are not in the league of the more expensive cases and I would not want anybody to get a false sense of confidence that a $70 case will protect the horn through anything. I know that is not what any of you are suggesting, however.

Mike
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say that I am delighted your horns survived, but you probably just got lucky. I use a ProPac, too, but just for light duty. The things are not in the league of the more expensive cases and I would not want anybody to get a false sense of confidence that a $70 case will protect the horn through anything. I know that is not what any of you are suggesting, however.

Mike
gtownlead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anybody used the horn armor cases from trumpetguy and are sometimes advertised here. trhey look pretty sturdy
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see both Pro-Pac and Pro-Tec used here. Are these the same thing?
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper fit has a lot to do with it. My son used a very nice Pro Tech "contoured" case his first year. It's a little more round on the edges and, well, contoured. There is a little bit of "sliding around" room inside the case when the horn is laid flat. When the case slipped off of his shoulder one time, bell down, the case survived very well but the bell rim was bent quite a bit.

David
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on, David! That's the secret...getting a fit that doesn't allow the horn to slide around. The ProTec CASES (I've got a triple that I sometimes use when I need both trumpet and cornet AND a slew of "junk") that "squeeze" the horn between foam pads and that also support it from top and bottom so that it can't move "up and down" really are quite good (although they are large...but that's the price you are going to have to pay for the space required by layers of padding. Generic gig bags with "universal fit" aren't going to do much good except keep the rain off. An acquaintance has a nice King Silver Flair (one of the ones from about 20 years ago). He carries it in a gig bag (no rigid case of any description...just a thin layer of foam held together by some nylon material). The horn has the nicest little "tone ring" wrinkle right around the bell flare about 3" from the bell rim from being compressed "bell down" in that gig bag. Now he's afraid to have the ring removed (it really does look like it was put there on purpose by spinning it on a mandrel!) because it might mar the finish. In the meantime, the "ring" continues to grow! One day he's going to have to "bite the bullet" and get it fixed.

The Torpedo Bag that we were going on about in "Other Toys" is another such bag that doesn't allow the horn to move and that provides support to the entire horn, including the back side of the bell flare. The "problem" with the Torpedo is that the horn has to be inserted "mouthpipe down" and "bell up" which means it has to be (lightly) pressed into place and pulled out which is why I wouldn't use the Torpedo for a tuning bell or beryllium. But once the horn is in there, it sure isn't going anywhere!

Sure, the Wiseman is the best you can get (short of having something custom made...maybe one of those "airline" type cases). But for the price, the ProTec and/or the Torpedo are pretty darn good.

John, I have to agree with the others....you better go out and buy some lottery tickets because you're one lucky dude!
Horn of Praise
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Tootsall is right. You need to buy a "PowerBall" ticket...TODAY!!!

I have a Pro-Tec double trumpet and think it is a tremendous value.

Pro-Tec well.

Monette B4LD
http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/artist/friedrich/seminar/caruso.html

[ This Message was edited by: Horn of Praise on 2003-09-13 15:37 ]
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think instead of getting a new case, I'm just going to have my quad WolfPak zipper fixed. That was the whole reason I bought the ProPac (or ProTec, whichever you want to call it). Getting a new WolfPak is out since they went belly up so I might as well just get the thing fitted with a new zipper. I got one of the first quads way back when WolfPak was brand new and they used these dinky little zippers on them. They eventually got smart and put the heavy duty things on there. I guess I'll have to drop about $50-100 to get a new zipper.

Speaking of weak cases/bags, my 2nd player has an Altieri bag that holds 5 horns. He's got everything in there...Bb, C, Eb, Flugel and Picc. Whenever we go on a job, it doesn't sit in the back with the rest of our stuff, he puts it in a seat and buckles it in. It's pretty convenient, but man I'd feel like I'm walking on eggs carrying that thing around!

BTW, thanks for the votes of confidence regarding the lotto tix. I tried it and won a buck. Now I can save someone I call a buck or two by using 1-800-it-cost-more-for-the-ticket-than-i-won!!

John

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a Wiseman case fall off the back of a roof rack on the way back from a gig, doing about 60mph.
A couple of scuffs on the leather, all instruments completely undamaged.
Roofrack now replaced!
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeezes....a trumpet falling off a car at 100km/h....u guys must be crazy mofos...haha

i bet if my trumpet case fell off like that, the clamps would come or something...lol...

consider u guys lucky!
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I am so relieved to finally hear some good reports on the Protecs. I started buying them up on ebay for an average cost of around 40.00, and now have 5. My son carries his flugel in a double case to and from school everyday, and we all know how much care gets taken with the after- game unloading of the band bus. The only critism I have with them is with the Slimline model, as it isn't deep enough to handle the bottom spring valve casings on my old Conns without compressing the valve tops. However, it fits my Courtois C just fine, and the Conns fit the double case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: