• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What have *you* relearned lately?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: What have *you* relearned lately? Reply with quote

From time to time I tend to "relearn" things, and the past couple days I've relearned something pretty basic in Doc's teachings:

Whenever I have a difficult passage to play, it's so much less difficult to play it if I maintain a firm left-hand grip.

That's it. When I'm having a little problem executing something, if I can remember that right away I get better so much sooner.

That may sound like a "duh" moment to some of you, but I'm just wondering if anybody else has had any newly-dusted-off "revelations" lately.

Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're singing my song man.

I've found that a very firm left hand grip is a make it or break it situation for me. I'm not really sure why, but if I let it go limp, I start using all kinds of pressure. I really have to make sure I don't let up on the firmness of the grip during my inhalation.
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are both fascinating posts.......I'll have to increase my awareness of my left hand pressure.

Here's what I keep relearning:

-- You must incorporate enough REST into your practice or you'll suffer
-- Forget every new fad, time tested methods provide time tested results
-- Stop trying to be as good as Mike and Rich or you will hate yourself
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Stop trying to be as good as Mike and Rich or you will hate yourself

Yea right!

Like I always say, "I do what I can with what I've got".

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Everything I can do on the trumpet I owe to Reinhardt's teachings. The more I practice these things, the more I realize that if I follow the drills, the readings, etc to the letter, everything works as it should.

Thanks for your compliment. I appreciate it.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great article by Dave Sheetz about this topic. I read this everyday before I start practicing to remind myself.

http://airstreamdynamics.com/thegripspurpose.htm

From the article:
Quote:
The grip consistency and duplication combined with essential firmness are the guardians of the embouchure formation. This may be the difference that will make the difference between success or failure in all advanced forms of playing.

This rings very true with my own experience.
Shipham_Player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: What have *you* relearned lately? Reply with quote

Removed

Last edited by Shipham_Player on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post not relevant, so removed.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle

Last edited by Rapier232 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asking the Reinhardt students to come forward with something Doc Reinhardt taught them years ago that came back to them "unexpectedly" or has maybe taken on new meaning.

Please, if you're not a Reinhardt student (first or second generation), please refrain from contributing non-Reinhardt "concepts" to this post.

Thanks!
PivotBone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting into "walking in" a lot recently and that has really helped me as a IIIA. Also, I've been really working on my tongue arch and form studies. It's great how you can revist things after having worked on them years ago and then, suddenly, you realize how important they can be in a whole new light as you develop as a player and need different things!

Rich Hanks
juanc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple days ago I "remember" about keeping the weight on the lower lip, this for me its a constant issue because I'm a IIIA (at least I think so ) so my upper lip is constantly receiving more weight (in my case), I think this is a common problem for IIIA's.
Regards,

juan
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: What Reinhardt means to me. Reply with quote

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T.S. Eliot

Every day, when I play my instrument I arrive at where I started...Reinhardt!
It is always fresh and new, my memories of the lessons and of the man and his teachings.
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me lately, a lot of the focus has been on lip buzzing. Knowing that buzzing strengthens the entire embouchure area allows us to be more aware of how we produce our best sound. I'm also finding myself constantly learning (and re-learning) what times of the day buzzing works best for me. I've tried the morning, afternoon (after my warm up) and at night before I go to bed.

My routine of choice is the lip compression buzzing routine, but some people benefit from the buzzing/playing a note up by half steps routine that Doc also assigned.
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In almost every discipline, be it math, music, there will always ( at least for me) an ahas moment when I realize that I have lost track of myself and its fundamental time
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walking in drills.
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Drills Reply with quote

The original Pivot System Manual studies which Doc assigned me (and personalized) as a "Summer Routine", rotating all 9 days every week throughout the summer.

Dave S.
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc told that on my good days to write down how it feels. I also have a daily check list to remind myself of those things I need to do and things I need to watch out for. The other day I caught myself twisting my left wrist slightly clockwise while inhaling. Every now and then this bad habit creeps back into my playing.

I reread my Encyclopedia a couple times a year.

John
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in coming back after a nearly 3-month layoff, I am once again re-discovering the importance of that firm left hand grip.

Re-establishing the legs of my inner embouchure has been key in getting me back to playing comfortably, and it occurred to me that Doc said a firm left hand grip (in identical position) was essential for establishing and maintaining a solid four-legs of the inner embouchure set for me, a IIIB.

(Type IVs use three legs of the inner embouchure.)

I also remember asking Doc what he meant by "in identical position" and he said "Use the same grip every time you pick up the horn." He went on to talk about some of the various grips he had observed, and how some guys would use three or four different grips in a matter of a few minutes, much to his dismay.

Anyway, the key to establishing and maintaining my solid four-legs turns out to be a firm left hand grip, just like the old man told me nearly 40 years ago!

Re-learned anything from Doc lately? I'd love to hear all about it. Thanks, everybody!
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things, among many, I recall Doc leaning on me about (disclaimer: type IIIB):

(1) Do you have to play so damn loud?

(2) As you ascend, go ahead and press like hell, but press on the bottom lip.

I still recall how humbling it is that Doc treated me, a very average player, just like he treated the monsters. What a wonderful teacher and human being! The walk up those stairs at 1720 Chestnut Street was magic!
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I think of......

Being a stupid cocky little 16 year old kid with great chops and not really knowing that I was in the same room with a very brilliant man, a genius.

I wish he were alive today . There are so many things I would love to ask him, things that I need help with, and what did I do most of the time I was up there?......Ask him dumb questions about how high Lin Biviano could play or nagging him about how long it was gonna take before I could play triple C's

I once spent the better part of a lesson pleading with him to switch me to a IV upstream because I found that I could eek out a triple C that way. He came very close to throwing me out of the studio. He said changing me to a IV would ruin all my fine technique and destroy my ability to get over the horn and ruin my jazz playing. I told him (get this) I DIDN'T CARE! I just wanted to play triple C's like Lin Biviano on "Space Shuttle" ( I was obsessed with that solo)

In the end he was right when he said "I will not ruin a good trumpet player just so he can play some squeeky high notes"

I just wish I could pick the phone up and DIAL (remember those) his number between 11 and 11:30 (remember how mad he'd get if you messed with his Johnny Carson???) and ask him some really important questions that only he and he alone could answer (unless he said "I have to see it, come up and see me") Boy when I think how Doc would have LOVED the internet.

Back when I was with him he had students who flew over regularly from Australia, Japan, New Zealand can you imagine what skype would have done for him?

Every now and then I have a dream that he is still alive and that I'm in that dusty old studio.

Rest in peace old man, I hope to see you on the other side one day.

Your friend and loyal student "Florida Chris"

Donald Shelly Reinhardt 1908-1989 R.I.P

Chris LaBarbera
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why was Doc against letting up on mouthpiece pressure, or even removing the mouthpiece from the lips if you had a bar rest? What is that the constant resetting of the mouthpiece ended up being more tiring that maintaining the mouthpiece pressure?

As far as the hand grip goes, I would like to always maintain a firm grip. My problem is that I need to operate the first valve slide as well as the third valve slide, and I am unable to do so when I use a firm hand grip. I use the thrid valve instead of first and second when I can so that I can maintain a firm grip, but oftentimes, in a concert, I need to grip with my fingertips so that I can use the valve slides. Any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: