• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To empty spit in a recording studio... offensive?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides reviving a six year old thread,seriously??
Would ANYONE actually buy one of those?

Just my opinion, but I don’t think they will sell many of those even to us trumpet players who are suckers for trumpet-gadgets.

BTW: I use a paper towel in a studio or if I’m in someone’s home (which I seldom am). On a gig? Probably should do the same thing, but I don’t.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what the guy in Mr. Hollands Opus did..Empty spit valve on the foot of the person next to you! (unless they are the contractor of course)
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The __________player (fill in the blank according to who is in front of you) who is always turning around and giving you nasty looks for playing too_________(again, fill in the blank according to your situation) is far more deserving of your condensation that any(thing/body) else.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone - the idiot who posted the device from Amazon is now sending PMs to promote sales.

Sure wish Admin could screen new members and their posts better.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Hey everyone - the idiot who posted the device from Amazon is now sending PMs to promote sales.

I thought I smelled a rat with that post, at first I thought it must be a joke.
At least they didn’t call it The-Best-Damn-Spit-(oh sorry, “condensation “) Catcher-Period.😉

I’ll ignore any PM, thanks for the heads up.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Brad361 for dredging up this old thread, as it was quite the enjoyable read!!Haha!

Back in the 80’s I had a small bedroom studio setup and when I needed outside ‘talent’ I’d run a line out to the living room. One time the wife wondered in between takes to witness a trumpet player ‘emptying out’ on the carpet… she was pissed!!! Haha! of coarse I knew it was part of the deal and wasn’t concerned… but even to THIS DAY when his name comes up, she’s STILL pissed as she relives the horror!!!

So I agree with Crazy Finn…

Crazy Finn wrote:
I guess it depends on the setting.

RandyTX wrote:
I have had some sort of towel (preferably close to the color of the floor) handy.

Maybe before the session begins, while looking over the music, the brass section could also agree on color scheme? “Hey guys, is this carpet mauve or taupe??

gstump wrote:
I was accused of flipping my spit on Karen Carpenter! She went to my boss and tried to get me fired. So, yes don't spit on famous people or the floor anymore.

Haha! If he hasn’t been yet, I think ‘gstump’ should be banned for spitting on poor, unsuspecting Karen!!!

Branson wrote:

I have been using doggy pads in my studio

I’ll have to admit… I did NOT see this one coming!!! Haha! Makes sense though!

Funky wrote:
Smoking in the studio/concert hall also used to be acceptable. We adapted and quit doing that for health and consideration of others.

Here, here ‘Funky’… I’m with ya!

[quote="Dale Proctor”] he has a brass spittoon for each of us. Works great, except for the time a guy was trying to shake some water out of his horn and his mouthpiece fell into the spittoon…[/quote]

What’s the problem… it’s only ‘condensed water’ right??? Haha!

James B. Quick wrote:
I empty my spit valves onto my left pants leg

I like this ‘gorilla’ tactic and ‘self sacrifice’ attitude!!! But I like THIS one even better!!…

american boy wrote:
Empty spit valve on the foot of the person next to you!

Haha!!!

kimgun47 wrote:

I have been using this stuff, it is awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/WindSorb-absorber-container-Model-Trumpet/dp/B07M821FZP

Brad361 wrote:

Would ANYONE actually buy one of those?

I don’t think they will sell many of those

The funny thing to me was that they come in ‘3 hour’ and ‘5 hour’ sizes!!! Haha! I LOVE that!

I doubt that those who say that there is very little ‘condensation’ that comes out of the spit valve, would want to tote around ‘5 HOURS’ worth!!

interesting accessory though… wouldn’t take much case room and COULD come in handy. The 2 thumbs up recommendation from ‘kimgun47’ puts it on my radar. At $5-10 it would be a ‘why not’ purchase but $20-30 moves it down the list a bit.

Anyway… This post has got me thinking more about the ‘condensation release’ issue. I’m a ‘comebacker’ and haven’t thought much about this in many years but recently had a session with the Flugel and have to admit that I felt a little self conscious about ‘dumping’ on the floor… did it anyway though!

Going forward, I’m planning on using a ‘condensation catcher’ when the situation might call for it! I guess that makes me a ‘Con-Con’ ( Condensation Convert) !

Thanks for the entertainment Ladies!!

Last edited by mrhappy on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:

Oops... This came in just before I posted my 'Novel'... sorry!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhappy wrote:
Thanks to Brad361 for dredging up this old thread, as it was quite the enjoyable read!!Haha!

Actually, it was dredged up by the guy trying to peddle this spit....uh, condensation collector.

And if I get a PM from this guy, so what? It’s an easy “delete.”

Brad
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
And if I get a PM from this guy, so what? It’s an easy “delete.”

Shame there's no way to block certain members.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, the Admin has a life too, there is no easy way to tell in advance if a poster is bad (though he does screen many of them, for more than most users realize), and the Mods don't watch every thread every minute of the day. If you see an errant post or bad user please just PM Moderators. Saves having to spend more time cleaning up threads.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
mrhappy wrote:

Actually, it was dredged up by the guy trying to peddle this spit....uh, condensation collector.

Oh Yes, I see that now... Thanks for pointing it out! That makes MUCH more sense!!
Tone Disciple

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still an interesting topic that I haven't thought that much about. I will think about it more from now on with an eye to being more considerate of how others may see it.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Once again, the Admin has a life too, there is no easy way to tell in advance if a poster is bad (though he does screen many of them, for more than most users realize), and the Mods don't watch every thread every minute of the day. If you see an errant post or bad user please just PM Moderators. Saves having to spend more time cleaning up threads.

True.

I'm glad they're there and that this is a free site.

Apologies as I did not mean to slight the mods in any way.

And it looks like there's yet another new member posting just to get his "5."

Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't really do anything about 5PW (five-post wonders) and the decision was made long ago to leave the nonsense posts as a warning to the wise.

As for spammers/trolls/etc. just drop a PM and it will usually get dealt with fairly quickly. Believe me, we don't like having to clean up the mess any more than y'all like reading it.

Actually, I blame you, Tim, for not inventing a TH Swab we could just run through the site now and then.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Actually, I blame you, Tim, for not inventing a TH Swab we could just run through the site now and then.

YES!!!!

I have a NEW MISSION!!!

Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Hernandez wrote:
Catching your own water, spit, condensation, or whatever you may want to call it is rapidly becoming the norm in many venues. More and more folks these days see it as a poor hygiene practice with potential health hazard due to perceived body fluid deposited on their floors/carpets.
As an old school trumpet player, it's no big deal to me, but as a Registered Nurse I can understand their concerns. I personally began to use a towel with the Praise & Worship Band about a year ago after the Band Leader (piano player) called it to the horn section attention of having to clean up "spit stains" off the stage. On the other hand, it has never become an issue with the Big Band or philharmonic band in all the venues we've played over the years.
Anyway, I now always throw a hand towel from home in the trumpet/flugelhorn case.

Can only add that my brassband succeeded in destroying a fine lacquered parquet by emptying the horns. And it´s not just condensation. I happen to be a genuine saliva reservoar so I empty my horn a lot, on a rag. Which probably is a biotop of its own.
Would you feel fine sitting at home dripping whatever it may contain on your own floor? Wife watching or not??
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do try to be considerate and not dump it on the floor of studios, or of course never at private residence; a folded paper towel or old newspaper works fine.
At gigs though? I admit, I don’t pay much attention, I guess I should. For especially a bar gig, it’s not exactly a pristine environment, but I guess I should be more considerate. I really think that it doesn’t become an issue at most gigs because the average person doesn’t realize that brass instruments have to empty the moisture somewhere; especially in places where the bands are primarily guitar, keys and drums. I think we get away with it because most people are not aware of what’s going on.

About a year ago, while attending one of my gigs my girlfriend noticed, with great disgust, our t bone guy emptying his horn, she was pretty grossed out when I told her we always do that. She has probably been to fifty of my gigs, she just never noticed it. I seriously doubt she will ever set her drink on a stage while on the dance floor now though.

Brad
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think about all the rehearsals taking place in all the musician union rehearsal rooms. Day after day, big band after big band, trumpet and trombone section after section, all contributing to floor and/or carpet ironically at the same approximate locations. Mushroom farms anyone?
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I seriously doubt she will ever set her drink on a stage while on the dance floor now though.

Brad

Yeah, because the trombone player will 'fill it up' for her while she's not looking!! Haha!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty funny that it's sold in sizes rated by time - the 3 hr and 5 hr model.

Speaking of disgusting trumpet stuff, when I was in the Army in the band program the Sgt. who was the section leader chewed tobacco, he would take his used chew and put it in his cup mute. I'm imagine there was more coming out of his spit valve than condensation.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: