• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn needed for returning player

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Spies

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I need some recommendations. I played in the Army and a dance orchestra but have not played in 20 years. I want a horn that I will not want to ever replace and I am willing to pay up to $2K. Would prefer something new. Currently considering the following:
Callichio (they are near me, so I can go try them)
Zeus Pro Model
Bach Strad

Any other suggestions would be helpful. I have read the threads re: strads being inconsistent, so I am going to tulsa to play several as well as the calicchios. The Zeus sounds like a good horn and I am already aware about the 'controversial' comments re: the owner.

Thanks in advance for your help!
John
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the TH, its alot of fun here!

have a look at a schilke. i didnt consider them untill i played one, and i am greatly impressed with the horn. i am told that the customer service is good too, but i have had no reason to call them. ive been playing on it for about half a year and it still manages to out play me!

conn vintage one seems to be quite popular, a nice playing horn if i rember. the yamaha xeno is also a very nice horn.

kanstul make great horns and thay have superb quality.

my advice (as well as others) is to try loads of different horns and find the one that fits you and the type of playing that you want to do.

have fun, sam
John Spies

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sam,
My problem is that I live in a town (in Arkansas) where there is really only one store; with no trumpets! So, I am forced to travel to Tulsa. Tulsaband.com is located there and I guess I will just go there and try them out, as you say. Thanks for the input and the encouragement.
John
John Spies

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forfot to add that part of my problem is that there are better prices on the net than in music stores. How do I go about trying the trumpet (in tulsa, for example), and then ordering online? I understand that some trumpets are somewhat inconsistent from horn to horn and I don't want to get stuck with a dud!
thanks again,
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. Tulsa band has an excellent selection, including Schilke, Callichio & Kanstul. I'd be surprised if there weren't another dealer in Tulsa that carried Conn Vintage One and Yamaha Shew and Xeno horns. That's a lot of playing for someone that's not in shape yet, but at least you could compare the looks and the general blow.

What did you play before, horn and mouthpiece? That might help us help you to narrow things down. There are a lot of great horns out there.

Oh, don't tell the store that you're willing to spend $2000. Duh. Most of the horns we're discussing have street prices from $1200 to $1800. Make sure they're aware that you're willing to shop for a price.

Happy hunting,

Dave
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

order a B1 from woodwind and brasswind on a trial basis.
they send the horn to you and let you try it.
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what jamesfrmphilly said.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be willing to bet that you could buy an Olds Mendez off eBay for far less than two grand, and that you'd be extremely happy with it for the rest of your life. If it looks to be in good shape, I don't see how you can go wrong.

In fact, this one is coming down the home stretch, and I suspect there'll be a bit of a bidding war down to the wire:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2556704655&category=41396&rd=1

But if you insist on going with a new horn, the Kanstul WB is dynamite, as is the Callet Jazz.

Rich
John Spies

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance, who makes the B1? While I am in Tulsa, do you think that I should walk around with my open wallet in my hand or just have a fistful of cash!!?? Just kidding, I will certainly be prudent with my money as I love to find just the right item at the right price!!
I have found a Schilke B5, used, for $1275, no case or mouthpiece. Another suggestion from the same gentleman was the Lawler TL6R1A at $1950, raw brass (?). What are your thoughts on these horns vs. callichio, stomvi and the two mentioned here?
Thanks for the input, keep it coming.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine Tulsa would have a similar policy as Brasswind.

I know it's redundant but try as many as you and try not to be in to big of a hurry. I know that's very hard for me to do once I make up my mind I want to buy something.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Welcome to TH,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Kanstul 1504 and it's the best horn I've ever played ( including Olds, Conn, Schilke, Martin Committee).

They're available from the manufacturer or from several dealers for around $1,600. Dynamite horns: beautifully made, great response, projection, slotting. The best and most affordable custom horn, in my opinion.

Here's a link to the Kanstul site:

http://www.kanstul.net/

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
John Spies

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, what do estimate as the value of that horn?
Cheechoo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your criteria, my money would go for a Schilke B series horn. Brand new for just under 2K at WWBW. I would ask them to send a B1, B5, & B6 to try. Keep the one you like the best and return the other two. I have had my B6 since 1965. It sat in its case for 3 decades but after a cleaning, polishing, and PVA it plays/looks brand new. There are other excellent choices out there as well but I am confident that you would keep the Schilke....even if you added other horns to your arsenal.

[ This Message was edited by: Cheechoo on 2003-09-13 12:02 ]
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendez prices are all over the map. I have owned about a half dozen over the years and paid as much as 800 and as little as 400 for them. The one I like the best is a little bit rough and I paid 500 for it. I have seen them go for well over 1000, but I would not personally ever pay that much. It may not be practical in your situation, John, but as for your overall search, I would try and borrow as many horns as you can to see what you really like before you invest very much in one. That way, you are more likely to get something you will like from now on.

Mike
John Spies

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I found a 'Wild Thing' for $1600 on ebay lthough the auction is over. this includes case and shipping. Don't know about anything else. Is this a good deal?
thanks again,
John
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be practical. Even though it would be nice to try every trumpet model ever made and then play every sample of that model in order to pick the ideal trumpet for an individual, I'll bet that John has other things to do in life.

Since John is willing to go to Tulsa to try horns, and Tulsa has significant stock of several excellent horns to choose from, let him choose from what Tulsa has. I'll bet that he'll find at least one trumpet that fits him very well, one that'll he'll be thrilled with.

That's not to say that there might be some other trumpet model out in the world that John would prefer, but so what? Life is full of choices.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: dbacon on 2003-09-25 22:16 ]
John Spies

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the advice. Jerry is right; I simply do not have enough time (or patience!) to try them all. TulsaBand has a lot to offer so I bet I will find one I like. Of course I will not buy it on the spot as I know that there are a lot of other sources out there. My only problem is my impatience in getting one and getting started!!

BTW, any thoughts about my wild thing question?

thanks again, John
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke makes the B1
check out the Schilke loyalist for all the info you need about Schilke
WW & BW will send a horn to your house for you to try
they also list some tasty used horns for reasonable prices
the point I'm trying to make is you can try a horn in your house, you don't have to go to Tulsa unless you like to drive!
Zachary music may let you try a ZeuS, ask them
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

My recommendation is that if you find an instrument that you like, buy that very specific instrument that you test. Do not order that same make and model from a different source (to save money or anything else) because a different sample will not play the same as the one you tested.

Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: