• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn needed for returning player

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horn of Praise
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Welcome to the TrumpetHerald! If you could spend about $3k, then I would strongly encourage you to contact Bruce Lee and "test drive"an Eclipse. That way, if you do decide on another horn, at least you would have bought it with your "eyes wide open".

But, having said that...in the $2k range the Schilke B1 is a great horn. I played one and was impressed.

Happy horn hunting. Play-test well.

Monette B4LD
http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/artist/friedrich/seminar/caruso.html

[ This Message was edited by: Horn of Praise on 2003-09-13 15:18 ]
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry, I certainly agree with you up to a point, about not feeling the need to try every horn made before you make your decision. I live in a pretty big metropolitan area and could probably put my hands on just about any kind of horn that is out there, but I realize my situation is pretty unique. I would personally just not go to the trouble of ordering a horn without ever having played anything similar before. That is really all I am saying. I have had some friends do that, and they sometimes wind up unsatisfied. Not always, though. Good luck, whatever you decide to do, John. I hope you can find something you like.

Mike
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't focus on any particular brand, just go to Tulsa Band and try the Schilkes, Calicchios and Kanstuls. If you like, find another dealer in Tulsa that carries Bach and/or Yamaha. Figure out which one you like and take it home with you.

Forget about Lawler or Wild Thing until you've played enough to develop a particular taste in horns, beyond your initial foray. Face the fact that two years from now you may want a different horn. If you buy a good horn today and take care of it, you'll be able to sell it and get whatever without much, if any, loss. There's no way to get a horn that you'll be happy with forever until you develop you playing more.

Dave
OldKid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If at all possible, try to borrow a decent horn for a while to get your chops back. That way when you go horn shopping you'll be in a better position to evaluate what you like and don't like. jmho
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: