• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Star-Spangled Banner at New York Giants game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
badddnote

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"no more Kenny Rampton?" Not sure about that one but if he isnt in the Lincoln Center Band than I hope he auditions for the West Point Concert Band. In fact I hope everyone here throws their hat in the ring and shows up for the next audition opening. Keep checking our website to find out when the next opening is. It might just be sooner than you think.
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badddnote wrote:
"no more Kenny Rampton?" Not sure about that one but if he isnt in the Lincoln Center Band than I hope he auditions for the West Point Concert Band. In fact I hope everyone here throws their hat in the ring and shows up for the next audition opening. Keep checking our website to find out when the next opening is. It might just be sooner than you think.

I doubt you'll get any of the 'arm-chair critics' from here to audition. I'm still waiting (but definitely not holding my breath) for them to put up their rendition of SSB. Seems too many of the self-proclaimed pros don't have any samples for us to see or hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
badddnote

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny Rampton is the real-deal player. Also speaking of real-deal Someone was talking about the Tastee Bros. on this thread. Have you ever heard the Anthem off the "Lawsuit Pending" CD? It's the one where they had players call in from road gigs and play some things. It also has a great version of Charlier #2.
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A former member of the Air Force Band told me, many years ago, that the band recorded several variations of the Star Spangled Banner in the early 60s so that an official version could be determined. The panel of listeners could not agree so there is no official version.

The original version, which is in 6/4 and on display at the Library of Congress and at Ft. McHenry, is a bit different from the way we're used to hearing it. You can find all this info online.

When I visited Ft. McHenry I surprised at how moved I was hearing the story of Francis Scott Key who was being held on a British ship when the bombardment took place. They only held him because they didn't want him to warn the Americans. He was released afterwards. In some ways they took a "gentlemanly" approach to war in those days.

John
badddnote

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwilson46, thanks for that. That is really cool. I played with the Concert Band once and they performed the Anacreon In Heaven (same melody different words) which I guess was a drinking/bar song back in the day? I was surprised because it was performed with comedic flair so a little bit of history was put in the program by the announcer up front so that folks wouldnt think the Anthem was being butchered. That is actually part of the history of the song. I'm going to check out the Library of Congress myself, it sounds like interesting research actually. For the record, there actually is a DOD regulation on the Anthem but it governs only a BAND performance. You can google it and check it out if you want to.
badddnote

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more compelling than the SSB history is the history of Amazing Grace. Check that one out. The history of that composition is inspiring.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny is still in lcjo. He was out of town for that gig. Awesome musician!
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crzytptman wrote:
Mike Sailors wrote:
crzytptman wrote:
Mike Sailors wrote:
All joking aside - it takes guts to go out there and do what those guys did. At least it wasn't Miley Cyrus!

I KNEW that was you!

You think you're fooling people hiding behind that metro-sexual little beard. Not so, twerkle . . .

Easy guy . . .

I know you have a rather restrained sense of humor, so I'll remind you:

Mike Sailors wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for that. I haven't laughed like that since I was a little girl.

That's a movie quote, genius.
badddnote

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
Kenny is still in lcjo. He was out of town for that gig. Awesome musician!

And a really positive musician to boot.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice playing by all. I happened to run across this first page of a vocal arrangement of the SSB, and I think it's probably the one performed by the majority of singers at sporting events...

mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badddnote wrote:
Anacreon In Heaven (same melody different words) which I guess was a drinking/bar song back in the day?

The title is "The Anacreontic Song", although it's commonly referred to by its incipit (opening words): "To Anacreon in heaven ...". It's commonly said to have been a drinking song, but that's not necessarily the case. It was the official song of a social club of professional men who were amateur musicians, so I guess there were likely some tankards raised.

It's not exactly the same melody, either. The first difference is in the very first notes; "The Anacreontic Song" begins with several notes on the tonic note of the key, while "The Star Spangled Banner" begins on the fifth degree, with a decending arpeggio on the tonic chord. Also, a raised fourth degree is used a few times in "The Star Spangled Banner", where only the natural fourth is used in "Anacreontic Song". Very similar, but the opening notes and the lack of the raised fourth make it easy to tell the difference.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg

Last edited by mm55 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
... probably the one performed by the majority of singers at sporting events...

But Christina Aguilara would not do that version straight, as written; she'd have to ornament the ornamentation, and then add appogiaturas, aciaccaturas, and maybe some cacciatores, shakes, and a few mordents with a couple of scooping whoops and schleifers, to the ornamented ornamentation. I think when she sings this song, she tries to minimize how much she's paid per note.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Nice playing by all. I happened to run across this first page of a vocal arrangement of the SSB, and I think it's probably the one performed by the majority of singers at sporting events...

That's not the official version Dale. It didn't change keys twice.

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
badddnote

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
badddnote wrote:
Anacreon In Heaven (same melody different words) which I guess was a drinking/bar song back in the day?

The title is "The Anacreontic Song", although it's commonly referred to by its incipit (opening words): "To Anacreon in heaven ...". It's commonly said to have been a drinking song, but that's not necessarily the case. It was the official song of a social club of professional men who were amateur musicians, so I guess there were likely some tankards raised.

It's not exactly the same melody, either. The first difference is in the very first notes; "The Anacreontic Song" begins with several notes on the tonic note of the key, while "The Star Spangled Banner" begins on the fifth degree, with a decending arpeggio on the tonic chord. Also, a raised fourth degree is used a few times in "The Star Spangled Banner", where only the natural fourth is used in "Anacreontic Song". Very similar, but the opening notes and the lack of the raised fourth make it easy to tell the difference.
My point is that Francis Scott Key used the tune partial inspiration for the Star Spangled Banner
1920's Conns
1917 Conn Wonder Tenor Saxophone
ta,ta,ka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Principal Brass at Giants last year Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLPNGv9PmYw

http://nyphil.tumblr.com/post/37652607180/making-music-at-metlife-stadium-yesterday
holeypants
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are all crazy. Nothing touches this:

Link

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: