• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke B3 versus X3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazztrumpetbill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Schilke B3 versus X3 Reply with quote

Okay all you gear (horn)heads. Who has played both of these models and which model do you prefer? Also, how do these models compare to the new Schilke Handcraft? I am currently playing larger bore horns but I have always liked the Schilke horns.

Thank you.

Bb Burbank Benge L
Bb Schilke B1
Olds Silverstar Flugel
King Silvertone Cornet
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The X3 has wide slots, nice jazz horn. Haven't played the other two models you mentioned.
https://yourbrass.com/
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Schilke: 708-343-8858.
Ask to speak to Phil.
Ask him this question. You'll get fabulous information from a very nice (most Schilke-qualified-expert-there-is?) guy .
Ask him who likely has these three models in stock so you can go and give them a blow.
Consider a trip to Schilke so you can try these models and have great ears give you valuable feedback.
I've had several phone conversations with Phil and each one was very informative. His recommendations for me have panned out each time.
Def Trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited Schilke this past year and played a bunch of horns in their showroom including the Handcraft, B3, etc. All of them were fantastic horns and perfect for commercial, jazz, pop playing. They were easy to play, well-balanced and had wide-color palettes; soft and warm to bright and loud.

The HD series were also fantastic instruments and perfect for classical. Great all around trumpets with a nice core to the sound.

Primarily, I was interested in the Handcraft and was not disappointed. It shares many of the playing characteristics of Schilke's other large bore instruments, but has its own overall sound. It is hands down the warmest trumpet they make. That said, it is definitely its own thing and doesn't really compare to the classic B line of Schilke horns.

It was kind of a whirlwind day and I was somewhat overwhelmed by getting to try out all of Schilke's horns at once. You could spend hours there and still need more time to noodle around.

I normally play a Yamaha 8310z which has its design origin in the Schilke horns. However, I immediately felt that the Schilke was a better horn or at least a better fit for me. Felt better in my hands, more balanced of a blow, better valves - you name it, Schilke won hands down!

If you are considering Schilke, definitely give Phil a call as was suggested already in this thread. I can concur that he is a really great guy, very informative and helpful and Schilke is just an awesome pro company. They are surprisingly small considering their name recognition and make every single aspect of their instruments, from valves to bell, right their outside of Chicago!
ACB 3CS
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a B3 for about a year, and have played the X3 on several occasions.

In my opinion the B3 is much better than the X3 at everything except warm, intimate jazz. By far my favorite Schilke horn, and the real sleeper of their Bb line.

It isn't as open as a lot of people think it is; it blows like an average ML bore horn would play, perhaps slightly more open. The sound is more focused and compact than the X3, and blows with a bit more cushion--a comfortable resistance. The characteristic Schilke sound (light, bright, broad, cold, piercing) really comes out when you play loud in the upper register, which is great if you're after that sound.

If you want that sound, and have your heart set on a Schilke, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the B3.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
jazztrumpetbill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments. I have been to the Schilke factory and you are all correct; Phil is a great guy. This was a few years ago and the Handcraft was not in their product line. So I need to go back and play the Handcraft and see how that compares to the B3.

Bb Burbank Benge L
Bb Schilke B1
Olds Silverstar Flugel
King Silvertone Cornet
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:
I owned a B3 for about a year, and have played the X3 on several occasions.

In my opinion the B3 is much better than the X3 at everything except warm, intimate jazz. By far my favorite Schilke horn, and the real sleeper of their Bb line.

It isn't as open as a lot of people think it is; it blows like an average ML bore horn would play, perhaps slightly more open. The sound is more focused and compact than the X3, and blows with a bit more cushion--a comfortable resistance. The characteristic Schilke sound (light, bright, broad, cold, piercing) really comes out when you play loud in the upper register, which is great if you're after that sound.

If you want that sound, and have your heart set on a Schilke, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the B3.

I just tested the B3 and X3, and I agree 100%! Now I'm just waiting to get my hands on a Beryllium B3!
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the L (tuning bell version) of either horn, you can have both by getting the other bell for it. The difference is in the bells. Been seriously considering this for my X3L.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a B3 for years, and have had an X3 for a very long time. Both are great horns, and you have to figure out which one fits the way *you* play and want to sound.
A few years ago I wangled a pass to the NAMM show. At the Schilke booth I played each horn there , in order from smallest to largest. Same set of licks. Each horn had a difefrent sound and a different response, and while the X3 fit me the best, the guy in the booth (an old friend named Rick) prefers the B5 because it fits *him* best. For me, the B5 is too tight.
Don't ask us - find a way to play them both and decide what works best for *you*.
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
If you get the L (tuning bell version) of either horn, you can have both by getting the other bell for it. The difference is in the bells. Been seriously considering this for my X3L.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually thought about getting a tuning bell (they're easier to come by nowadays)...and if I played in a variety of circumstances I might be tempted. As it is, I'm just looking for the brightest possible sound. Plus, I like to keep it simple. The regular Schilke (B3) is so beautiful because of its minimalistic design.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: