• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New quad case

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pc2001197
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these for 4 months now... absolutely fantastic case. I ordered it through a friend from Bags from Spain. The fiberglass body is immensely strong. The last time I flew, the small plane could not fit my case so I let the flight attendant to put my horn into the checked baggage with the tag. I assumed it would be delivered to the gates, but when I arrived at the airport they told me it would be coming out on the belts... So I witnessed my case smashed from the top to the bottom of the belt. BUT, no damage to the horn/case except of some minor scratches on the surface.
It is exact same size (length and height) as a Protec triple, but thinner + putting one more horn in. Fabulous case. The only problems for me is that the pocket on top of the case doesn't fit music bigger than A4 size... Also if you have 3 horns in the case, no where to fit the mutes in.

Sorry about this "long" post.

Vic
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feedback@stomvi-usa wrote:
To be clear, yes this is a Bags product rebranded. It is a new case to us.

Thanks. Be proud that you're using their cases - they're very good.
billybobb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pc2001197 wrote:
I have one of these for 4 months now... absolutely fantastic case. I ordered it through a friend from Bags from Spain. The fiberglass body is immensely strong. The last time I flew, the small plane could not fit my case so I let the flight attendant to put my horn into the checked baggage with the tag. I assumed it would be delivered to the gates, but when I arrived at the airport they told me it would be coming out on the belts... So I witnessed my case smashed from the top to the bottom of the belt. BUT, no damage to the horn/case except of some minor scratches on the surface.
[b]It is exact same size (length and height) as a Protec triple,[/b] but thinner + putting one more horn in. Fabulous case. The only problems for me is that the pocket on top of the case doesn't fit music bigger than A4 size... Also if you have 3 horns in the case, no where to fit the mutes in.

Sorry about this "long" post.

Vic

You sure about that? Here's the dimensions of the Protec Triple copied from Pro tecs site(Exterior Dimensions:
14.25(H) x 22.00(W) x 8.00(D))
and you can see the ones for this case posted earlier in this thread.
pc2001197
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billybobb wrote:

You sure about that? Here's the dimensions of the Protec Triple copied from Pro tecs site(Exterior Dimensions:
14.25(H) x 22.00(W) x 8.00(D))

Billybobb,

I think the one I has is a old one...
I just estimate that comparison by eye few months ago. Sorry about the misconception.

Vic
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchase the Bags from Spain trumpet/fluegelhorn case with wheels, since my Adams fluegelhorn wouldn't fit in my Protec Mike Vax case. The overall dimensions are slightly larger that the Protec, but the quality of the constructoin is far superior, yet the cost was only a little higher than the cost of a new Protec. The wheels are wider and the case, although wider than the Mike Vax, is more stable. The collapsible handle also operates much better. These are high quality, reasonably priced, and lightweight cases that offer superior protection for their contents.
feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 6 1/4” bell will fit no problem. The wrap may come into play as well. An open wrap such as an Antoine Courtois Paris AC156R Flugelhorn might not fit. We will check this and do a comprehensive video about the case and how it can be configured.

https://stomvi-usa.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/stomviusavideo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stomvi-USA/106129483617
https://twitter.com/Stomvi_USA
888-702-7277
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomvi, will this case be available through your website in an ecommerce fashion? Is there a waiting period? Color options? Any interior layout options? Will you be carryinggnanybof the other Musical-Bags cases?

Thanks!
Aaron
feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a video demonstration of our Stomvi branded Quad case.

Link

888-702-7277
christiwans
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting case - how does the density of the foam in the inserts/sides compare to something like a torpedo bag? Since the horns are so close together, I hope that the pads between are sturdy?

Is there a way for the inserts to be installed permanently, or are they left kind of floating around between the trumpets? From the video, it looks like the only one with any sort of bracing is the straight insert.
MM/DMA University of Oklahoma
BM Central Washington University
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun, informative video. Thanks.

Would a tall wrap cornet fit in one if the bays, for instance a getzen custom C?

Thx, A
feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q. Stomvi, will this case be available through your website in an ecommerce fashion?
A. Billybobb we are working on updating our website and this will certainly be available.

Q. Is there a waiting period? Color options? Any interior layout options? Will you be carryinggnanybof the other Musical-Bags cases?
A. Billybobb we are going to try to keep a limited number in stock. If they run out it takes @ 2 weeks for an order. This case comes only as seen in the video. We only carry Stomvi branded cases. We have several protect cases rebranded and Stomvi cases sent from Spain.

Q. How does the density of the foam in the inserts/sides compare to something like a torpedo bag?
A. christiwans Torpedo makes a 2.5 Coyote bag that has thicker foam. Our case is comparable to a protec interior but with a hard shell.

Q. Since the horns are so close together, I hope that the pads between are sturdy?
A. Christiwans here is what pc2001197 said about his case earlier in this thread.
It is exact same size (length and height) as a Protec triple, but thinner + putting one more horn in. Fabulous case. The only problems for me is that the pocket on top of the case doesn't fit music bigger than A4 size... Also if you have 3 horns in the case, no where to fit the mutes in.

Q. Is there a way for the inserts to be installed permanently, or are they left kind of floating around between the trumpets? From the video, it looks like the only one with any sort of bracing is the straight insert.
A. Christiwans the pads basically float, you could glue them if so desired. All cases can be modified if you want them to be a bit different.

Q. You sure about that? Here's the dimensions of the Protec Triple copied from Pro tecs site(Exterior Dimensions: 14.25(H) x 22.00(W) x 8.00(D))
A. Billybobb The measurements we took are an outside measurement. Here is a link to the protect quad case. (Apples to Apples) This is their exterior measurement direct from their site. 22.00(H) x 17.00(W) x 8.00(D) Here are their interior dimensions 21.00(H) x 21.00(W) x 16.50(D) the math is a little questionable. Interesting how they have a larger interior than exterior.
http://www.protecmusic.com/items.aspx?ProductID=1570&InstrumentID=38&InstrumentGroupID=1&CategoryID=2&subCategoryID=55

Ours is 23” X 15” X 7.5” deep without music pouch.
It is the 15 inch from foot to handle that allows the case to slide into the overhead on large aircraft.

Q. Would a tall wrap cornet fit in one if the bays, for instance a getzen custom C?
A. Billybobb if you provide a measurement we can estimate if it will fit. If the height is the same or less than the 6.6”diameter of the Courtois Flugelhorn it will fit standing up. If it is grater, then you will need to lay it sideways. If the body fits but valves are being slightly depressed and this doesn’t bother you, this might be an option.

888-702-7277
vanv7448

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, I took the bait and bought one of these cases. It's great, I highly recommend it. Not as ridiculously overbuilt as the Torpedo Bags, but just as protective. Hard shell, good quality hardware all over, and best of all it is the LIGHTEST quad I've ever held, including the Brass Bags UK.

Rotaries are fine, cornets are fine, two big horns + flugel is fine.

More photos here.

My only critique, and I've communicated this to Stomvi for their next order, is that the zipper on the lid portion only has one row of stitching. I think this is a weak point. If Musical Bags would build this case with a YKK #10 and triple stitch the zippers, they'd be golden.

Even with that, I doubt my Bonna or Coyote will see much use anymore. This Bags case is fabulously light and efficient in all ways.
billybobb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feedback@stomvi-usa wrote:
Q. Stomvi, will this case be available through your website in an ecommerce fashion?
A. Billybobb we are working on updating our website and this will certainly be available.

Q. Is there a waiting period? Color options? Any interior layout options? Will you be carryinggnanybof the other Musical-Bags cases?
A. Billybobb we are going to try to keep a limited number in stock. If they run out it takes @ 2 weeks for an order. This case comes only as seen in the video. We only carry Stomvi branded cases. We have several protect cases rebranded and Stomvi cases sent from Spain.

Q. How does the density of the foam in the inserts/sides compare to something like a torpedo bag?
A. christiwans Torpedo makes a 2.5 Coyote bag that has thicker foam. Our case is comparable to a protec interior but with a hard shell.

Q. Since the horns are so close together, I hope that the pads between are sturdy?
A. Christiwans here is what pc2001197 said about his case earlier in this thread.

Q. Is there a way for the inserts to be installed permanently, or are they left kind of floating around between the trumpets? From the video, it looks like the only one with any sort of bracing is the straight insert.
A. Christiwans the pads basically float, you could glue them if so desired. All cases can be modified if you want them to be a bit different.

Q. You sure about that? Here's the dimensions of the Protec Triple copied from Pro tecs site(Exterior Dimensions: 14.25(H) x 22.00(W) x 8.00(D))
A. Billybobb The measurements we took are an outside measurement. Here is a link to the protect quad case. (Apples to Apples) This is their exterior measurement direct from their site. 22.00(H) x 17.00(W) x 8.00(D) Here are their interior dimensions 21.00(H) x 21.00(W) x 16.50(D) the math is a little questionable. Interesting how they have a larger interior than exterior.
http://www.protecmusic.com/items.aspx?ProductID=1570&InstrumentID=38&InstrumentGroupID=1&CategoryID=2&subCategoryID=55

Ours is 23” X 15” X 7.5” deep without music pouch.
It is the 15 inch from foot to handle that allows the case to slide into the overhead on large aircraft.

Q. Would a tall wrap cornet fit in one if the bays, for instance a getzen custom C?
A. Billybobb if you provide a measurement we can estimate if it will fit. If the height is the same or less than the 6.6”diameter of the Courtois Flugelhorn it will fit standing up. If it is grater, then you will need to lay it sideways. If the body fits but valves are being slightly depressed and this doesn’t bother you, this might be an option.

I never asked you any questions so why is my name on your post lol?
tomdug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi trombahonker,

Congrats on the purchase! Couple questions:

Did you buy direct from Stomvi?

You sort of addressed this, but do you think it's as protective as a Bonna quad?

Thanks!
christiwans
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
Hey all, I took the bait and bought one of these cases. It's great, I highly recommend it. Not as ridiculously overbuilt as the Torpedo Bags, but just as protective. Hard shell, good quality hardware all over, and best of all it is the LIGHTEST quad I've ever held, including the Brass Bags UK.

Even with that, I doubt my Bonna or Coyote will see much use anymore. This Bags case is fabulously light and efficient in all ways.

Trombahonker - thanks for the pictures. How would you describe the quality/protection of the dividers? Also the outer shell - my major complaint looking at this case is how thin the padding is. I feel like it would be near impossible for it to be as protective as a Coyote.
MM/DMA University of Oklahoma
BM Central Washington University
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomdug,

Yes, I bought directly from Stomvi.

I think this case is more protective than a Marcus Bonna quad because there is MUCH less wiggle room - with a bonna, there is so much free space within the case that it, if not filled with wrags and bumpers and stuff, becomes a place for a horn to shift around in. The shell feels harder and more solid than a Bonna and, in general, the space within is better used.

Christiwans,

The dividers are comparable to Marcus Bonna. All have some hard, slightly flexible core with a dense foam covering. They are, IMO, very adequate and sturdy. They don't "velcro" in place, but wedge against the sides well, and when the case is closed, the lid's (dense) foam pads sandwiches the dividers in to place, along with the horns, essentially immobilizing everything.

The "shell" is some sort of hard composite material, and it's very sturdy, the corners are well reinforced, and the entire perimeter of the case (where bells and bell bows touch) has a 1.5" of good, dense foam (all the foam feels like Torpedo Bag's 5-layer stuff).

-A
feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billybobb
We felt that we should answer the question you raised about the dimensions. Even though you did not ask us directly it seemed that the right thing to do was give you literary credit. We did miss credit you with the cornet question sorry about that.

Trombahonker,
Very glad you like the case and thank you for the suggestions. We will do our best to communicate them to the manufacturer. We tried to give an accurate description of the case. It is nice to have someone that has one giving an opinion. We are all trumpet players at Stomvi-usa and have seen just about all the case out there. This case seemed worth bringing to the collective.

Happy Holidays to you all.

888-702-7277
jazzman99
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
I'm not just being grumpy. Either Stomvi has duped the design, or they are buying and rebranding the cases from this Spanish company:

Musical-Bags

The cases made by Musical Bags are really fantastic though! I think they beat any of the quad cases we see in the states. Not too pricey, either, about $350. They make a whole line, single through quad, with many varieties and colors. I know a few folks from that part of the land who use and love theirs.

~Aaron

Stomvi, not to steal the tread or diss on your cases, nor Musical Bags' cases but trombahonker said that Musical Bags are probably the best quads in America. How about Raw Brass cases? You should read the reviews. I like the one where a fellow ran over it with his Trailblazer.
Jupiter 1700R Piccolo W/ Yamaha Allen Vizzutti MP
Kanstul 1525 w/ Flip Oakes Wild Thing Extreme #1.25
feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzman99,

It depends on what you like on your pizza.

888-702-7277
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: