• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Open Trumpets?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattdahtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Open Trumpets? Reply with quote

Hello trumpetheralders! I need some help finding a trumpet. I am looking for a heavy, open trumpet. Open to any suggestions!
I was looking for an a courtois Evo 2... but they don't seem to make them anymore!
Any open trumpets? (Large bore, wide bell flair, Big bell, etc.)

Budget isn't too much a factor but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg! I don't have that kind of money to go and purchase a 12,000 dollar monette.... or even a Harrelson or Taylor for that matter. (Unless they want to give me one for Freeeee?? yeah, no)

Thanks
Yamaha xeno 8335
Getzen 3001MV
Austin Winds Stage 470 Copper bell
Yamaha 8310z "Bobby Shew" Flugelhorn
Andalucia AdVance (large bore)

Olds 3
Schilke 5a4x
GR WB Studio
Monette BL4 S6
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Open Trumpets? Reply with quote

Mattdahtrumpet wrote:
Hello trumpetheralders! I need some help finding a trumpet. I am looking for a heavy, open trumpet. Open to any suggestions!
I was looking for an a courtois Evo 2... but they don't seem to make them anymore!
Any open trumpets? (Large bore, wide bell flair, Big bell, etc.)

Budget isn't too much a factor but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg! I don't have that kind of money to go and purchase a 12,000 dollar monette.... or even a Harrelson or Taylor for that matter. (Unless they want to give me one for Freeeee?? yeah, no)

Thanks

A mid-60s Buescher 400 or Super 400 would be a good choice. Not easy to find, but if you stumble across one, it's worth a try.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adams A3 and A7 are pretty open (the A7 more open that the A3)
Schilke X-series
As you said Taylor horns

Those are the only ones I've tried (other than my Courtois )
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Thing trumpets have a pretty open blow.

I play on a large bore Lawler that has an open blow.

Call the folks at Kanstul and ask them what they recommend. They seem to have trumpets for EVERY occasion.

Call Trent Austin to discuss the Adam's trumpets.

Have fun play testing!!
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henri Selmer Concept TT(M), fits the description like a glove, it's a wonderful expierence to play one. They are no longer made but at the same time ample available both new and used. Big, but VERY easy to play.

The horns mentioned above are OK but they are not heavy. The Concept should be around 1260 gram.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolBrass large bore .470 or .465 72 belled model in heavy setup.

Not a heavy horn but the Flip Oaks Celebration is a .470 72 bell.

Amati makes a 812 that is I believe a heavy design. Harrelson took one in on trade 2 Winter's ago I think.

Kanstul makes their 1500-A not a true heavy horn in my mind but many think it is.

Schilke's HD line The S22HD Bb is heavy and .462 bore so it should be open but not too much so.

The Getzen Genesis I think is .462 bore and has interchangeable leadpipes so it can be as open or tight as you like.

The Selmer TT you can still find them for sale even though they are almost gone. I have seen the prices run from $1300 to $3200 for them on ebay new.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Flip Oakes Wild Thing has little resistance, but the "openess" of the "blow" has more to do with the resistance at the mouthpiece than the bore of the horn, bell size, or bell flair.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing XT Mouthpiece has a deep cup, 11 throat, and large open backbore, while the Wild Thing TCC Mouthpiece has the same deep cup, 18 throat, and short shank backbore.

Hence, if you have lung capacity to spare and like to move a lot of air through the horn, a deeper cup will give you less resistance, as will a larger throat and a larger backbore.

Like any pipe/tube, a trumpet will only flow as much volume as its smallest diameter (which, of course, exists at the mouthpiece).
Mattdahtrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm still on that hunt for the evolution. I would love to get my hands on one! (Of course silver, the matte finish looks a little like poopoo to me )
I play tuba in concert band so you can understand why I would prefer a larger feel for trumpet and coming from a drum corps background, I have a lot of air to blow.

Has anyone tried the taylor horns? I am interested in their "jazz model". It is .460 bore, which is fairly medium sized in my opinion. I would love to hear some other peoples views on it. (I'm thinking saving the extra couple of bucks for a "nicer" {of course, opinion, those custom factories don't necessarily mean better, I know plenty of people who are more than happy with their factory made bach} trumpet might be worth it)

Of course, Harrelson is top of my list. Love the company. Love the service there. (And would love a job building trumpets too )

Thanks for all the help!
Yamaha xeno 8335
Getzen 3001MV
Austin Winds Stage 470 Copper bell
Yamaha 8310z "Bobby Shew" Flugelhorn
Andalucia AdVance (large bore)

Olds 3
Schilke 5a4x
GR WB Studio
Monette BL4 S6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: