• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

OK, I finally got myself a vintage Olds, now what’s the best

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

approach to getting it refurbished? I've heard some say that having it stripped and re-lacquered reduces the value. What's the philosophy behind having a vintage horn refurbished, while still retaining its value?

The horn is in pretty good shape, but I'll need to have some minor work done on it; fortunately there are no dents that need to be removed.

Also, and MOST importantly, who do I now trust with my new baby (valve job, re-lacquering etc. etc. etc.); who can I trust to do the very best job?

Schilke S22
77 LA Benge
Warburton 4MC/6SV

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"

[ This Message was edited by: ARB on 2003-09-19 19:33 ]
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got one of the nation best at you door step.
Rich Ita. He has worked on most of Alan Rouse's Olds collection.
I've i had an Olds he would restore it.
For valve work Steve Wymans at Dr. Valve in the suburb of Chicago is the best.
But there are great craftsman all over.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few Olds horns are of incredibly high value, so the question of whether to refinish or not is really totally personal. I prefer a good looking horn with tight valves and good playing characteristic. Stripping the lacquer certainly doesn't add value. A minority of players prefer their horns stripped but some people can't deal with the brass poisoning.

An important decision is whether you think this horn will prove to be a "player" for you. For me, that'd determine how much I'd be willing to spend to recondition it. Valve alignments and valve replating can transform a horn, but some old horns never play well. If you've played a good example of the same model and know that you will like it, then I'd say send it to Rich Ita, or some other quality tech guy and it rebuilt to better than new. If you're not certain how you'll like it, then you may first want to have the dents removed and the valves aligned and have it thoroughly cleaned. Then play it and make a final decision as to its value as a player.

Best regards,

Dave
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen,

Talk to Rich Ita, who luckily lives in Marietta, about what to do with your horn. He can give you great insight based upon the value and condition of your Olds model.

Rich restored both of my 1911 Boston 3-Star cornets and he does great restorations.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you REALLY like the way it plays before you spend the money to refinish it. Chances are you will not be able to really get your money out of it right away at least, if you decide you don't like it. If it doesn't exactly suit you, the next owner can restore it.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: