• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DFW TrumpetFest

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of us are trying to gauge the level of interest in a DFW TrumpetFest to be held on November 15th in either North Dallas or Plano (we're open to other sites in the DFW area).

Our main goal would be to have a wide selection of new and almost new trumpets on hand for comparison, including having a strong player play the horns for all of us in a large room (probably a church). Participants would also have an opportunity to try most of the horns for themselves. More gatherings may follow, but this would mainly be designed to get us connected.

We expect to have a good selection of horns, including several V1s, Yamahas, a Wild Thing or two, some Lawlers, a Schilke or two and one or two exceptional Bachs.

A dealer may participate, but that is not a prerequisite. We've got lots of horns without a dealer, but if we could have some rarer horns available, it'd be a big plus. We'll probably have a schedule of events starting at 9 am and ending by around 1 pm.

If you think you'd be likely to attend please email me at dcstep@swbell.net If you have a horn that you'd be willing to let others play, please indicate what you have available. Also, let me know of any suggested venues. Manufacturers and/or dealers that would be interested in participating, feel free to let me know through direct contact.

I'll be checking here for responses, but direct emails are the best way to indicate and interest.

Best regards,

Dave
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm game. I could bring my 1915 80A, Schilke S22C, Courtios Evolution 1, Kanstul Sig 1525, and depending on wether or not it's don in time my Callet Jazz. It's being engraved at the moment and then is on it's way to the platers.....
MarkHeuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm up for it.

[ This Message was edited by: MarkHeuer on 2003-09-20 17:34 ]
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am game. I know someone with a couple of the new Kanstul models. I would like to see an Eclipse and a Taylor. If anyone has one of these, maybe they could bring it. Dave, could you try to schedule it when the Vintage One models would be available, especially the C?

Mike
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of at least one Bb V1. Brook Mays will usually let me bring two or three other Conns, so we'll likely have a great selection of V1s. Hopefully the V1 C will be determined by then. Bert Truax told me yesterday that he just received a third and fourth prototype, so Fred Powell is evidently working feverishly. Bert is holding out for a horn that will match his tweaked, tuning-bell Bach and the gap is closing. We'll see what happens. If Fred can match that Bach, Conn will have a wonderful production C.

Dave
JoeWats
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could possibly make the Trek to Plano ... if I'm lucky enough to be off work that day.

JW
jazzsolotrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, then I could bring my Bach Strad.......

Best Regards

-Matt
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, by all means, we want a few good Bachs (ok, they don't even have to be good). I'm very hopeful that Bert Truax will bring the tuning-bell Bach C that he's used with the DSO. A Mount Vernon would receive all kinds of special reference, but only bring it if you'll let us play it.

Dave
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the response has been very encouraging, so I'll be trying to lock-in a location in the next week or two. We need a space where we can set up several tables to display horns. We also need a large room for horn comparison/demonstrations. We may have a short clinic or two available, but we can probably do that in the same room.

Anyone with a particular site to suggest, don't hesitate to drop me a note.

Ciao,

Dave
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still talking a Saturday, hopefully.

Mike
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Houstonians invited? It would be just a 4 hour drive for me. I would be up for it.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as long as I'm allowed to go to the Houston Trumpetfest it's alright for yall to come up here. So now I'm just wondering if General Lee is making the trek down South, Well Bruce????
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a couple of Okies interested so far, so I don't see Houstonians causing any problems.

Dave
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, trumpeters, the DFW TrumpetFest has firmed up and will be held in Plano, Texas on Saturday, November 15.

Thanks to the generosity of Conn-Selmer, Pick Music, Airstream Music, Brook Mays Music and our volunteers, we池e going to have a tremendous line up of trumpets and flugelhorns. Bach, Callichio, Conn, Kanstul, Marcinkiewicz, Martin, Stomvi and Yamaha will all be represented, some with several horns. Conn even hopes to provide leadpipe mounts to allow comparison of several leadpipes on each Vintage One.

Several individuals are offering to let their personal horns be available for comparison. These include Wild Thing, Callet, Lawler and others. Thanks to all these generous souls. Rest assured that these horns will be treated with the greatest respect and care.

Turns out that this will be pretty informal. We値l have one large main room for display, viewing and auditioning of horns. We値l also have access to one or two breakout rooms, for quieter auditioning and other purposes. One of these rooms will likely be fairly large. This is still a little up in the air, but I知 hoping that we値l have a short time in a fabulous sanctuary, where one or two strong players will demo five or ten horns for our benefit and listening pleasure, from a far perspective.

If you池e attending, will you be bringing an instrument that others may try and, if so, what instrument? (I know that some of you have already done this, but I知 double-checking so as not to over-promise). Those that can attend should contact me via email at dcstep@swbell.net I知 not planning to turn anyone away, but we致e been asked not to publish the location on the Internet.

Best regards,

Dave
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Trumpeters:

We're excited about the Trumpetfest scheduled for tomorrow. As I've mentioned before, we'll have two great players demonstrate many of the horns in the main sanctuary at our venue in Plano. Rodney Booth will play the flugelhorns and jazz/lead trumpets and Iskander Akhmadullin will play the "legit" Bb and C trumpets. For those that don't know these two wonderful players, here's a little background:

Rodney Booth- A native of El Paso, Rod received a Bachelor's degree in music at the University of North Texas, where he was a member of the renowned One O団lock Lab Band. Following graduation, Rod toured the US, Europe and South America with Woody Herman, and has also performed with entertainers such as Lou Rawls, Dionne Warwick, Nancy Wilson, Marvin Hamlish, Jack Jones, and others. He is an active studio musician, and his tasteful trumpet work can be heard on commercials for hundreds of businesses and TV shows, and on numerous national and regional album recording projects. Rod fronts his own small-group and big-band, and is much sought after for area clubs and private functions.

Iskander Akhmadullin- A native of Russia, Iskander studied at the Moscow Conservatory and performed with such organizations as the Moscow Malyi Symphony Orchestra and the Moscow Radio Symphony and he was a founding member of the Moscow Fanfares trumpet quartet. He received a Doctor of Musical Arts degree in Trumpet Performance at the University of North Texas in May 2003 and he also holds a Master of Music degree from UNT and a graduate degree from the Moscow State Conservatory. His major teachers were Professors Keith Johnson, Leonard Candelaria and Vadim Novikov.

See you in the morning.

Dave
GTM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had planned to attend, but a work injury will keep me from it! Sorry.

I do hope all have a very good time, and I am interested in reading what others will say after the fest!

Blessings,
Golden Trumpet Ministries
Endorsing Artist - Wedge Mouthpieces and Phaeton Trumpets and Flugelhorns
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your injury. I'll pray that you heal quickly and completely.

I was really hoping to hear and play the Zeus instruments. I guess that'll have to wait.

Get well,

Dave
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone that supported and/or attended the DFW Trumpetfest today. We had between 40 and 50 attend (not everyone signed in). The selection of horns was fantastic. I'll post the results of the listening comparison when I've had time to sort it out.

Particular thanks to Conn-Selmer, Brook Mays, PiCK Music and Airstream Music. Also, those willing to offer their private horns for audition greatly enhanced the experience. There were some incredible horns present.

I'll post a more complete report soon.

Dave

[ This Message was edited by: dcstep on 2003-11-15 20:48 ]
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcstep,

Do you have any pics you could post from your event?
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for all of your hard work and organization. I had a great time and enjoyed learning about some new and old horns I had never seen before. Thanks to the vendors who came, too.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: