• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C Cornets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone had good or bad experiences with certain C cornets on the market. I've been thinking of looking into one for symphonic use, and occasional brassband use when something lays terribly on Bb.

I've tried a Getzen and i liked it, but what are some other brands to consider? I've loved courtois cornets that i've tried, but i don't think they make a C. I currently play a bach 184 Bb and love the sound, but the different colour of the C cornet would be most useful.

Any thoughts? comments? suggestions?
thanks!
Bartok
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The getzen seems to be the one most frequently used. I've played the Schilke C cornet and still preferred the Getzen. Think Kanstul also makes one...not a big fan of those horns though.
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a C cornet in Lawler's product list, but I have never seen one.

Mike
HorneyMikey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith used a Getzen C cornet with a Wick 2B/Bach 1C rim on his Mahler Posthorn excerpt on the "Excerpts" Cd).

Sounded great; very well in tune.

Mike
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schilke A2C and love it! Fantastic Schilke valves, response & intonation, and a dark, warm cornet sound. I use it in the orchestra regularly and for some solo pieces, including the Bitsch Scarlatti Variations. One of my favortie horns.

The Getzen is also a great instrument as is the Kanstul. Bach used to make C cornets in the Mt Vernon days. There is a DVD available showing Bud playing one on the Berlioz Roman Carnival Overture from a 1960s vintage concert. He did however later switch to a Schilke. I've only ever seen one of these Mt Vernons for sale used. Recently someone sold on Ebay a more recent Elkhart C cornet large bore with a 239 bell.

JU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: