• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1933 Olds Super

View previous topic :: View next topic  
livertwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. On Wednesday night, my new horn arrived. I finally joined the 'Olds Club' and got a Super. After playing in a rehearsal and practicing more than I have in ages, I have to say that I love it. It plays higher, easier than any other horn I've ever played on. In fact, my pedal tones are something I'm going to have to work on now. Nice for a change, that's for sure. It's so smooth and I'm so used to turning blue to hit anything above a G over the staff, that I'm often overshooting the note. That's *never* happened to me before.

But enough about high notes. It has a great sound; a little bit brighter than what I'm used to (but I had a copper bell on my Holton) but is so versatile. I push it a little and it easily gives me the edge I'm looking for. The valves are nothing short of incredible. Fast, smooth... I'm getting it chem-cleaned but that's not happening until Thursday and it's pretty good so I doubt it'll affect the playability.

As you'll see from the pics, it's as though this horn was barely played. The lacquer is original, with the only real wear along the leadpipe and on the second valve slide. There are about 4 tiny 'pings', mostly near the bell. Other than that, it's in incredible condition - especially since it's 70 years old and has never been overhauled. The case has a cover and it is in even better shape than the horn. I'm not sure if the original owner ever used this case since the leather that sits under the valve body isn't worn in the slightest. The case is truly mint and because of that, I've decided to use a different one for fear of wrecking it.

As you can tell, I'm just so pleased with this horn. And now I'm off to go find me a mouthpiece. I've been playing on a Yamaha 11B4 for the last year (similar to a 7c) and I want to see what else is out there. I also wanted to mention that I bought this horn from Carlos Saloio through the Marketplace and he's an absolutely great guy to deal with. He sent the horn off immediately, even before I had Paypal'ed him. What a great guy.

I'm off to play...

Oliver

edit: here's the link to the pics: http://photos.yahoo.com/livertwist

[ This Message was edited by: livertwist on 2003-09-20 12:55 ]
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet horn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just recently joined the Olds club myself.

Schilke S22
77 LA Benge
54 Olds Recording
Warburton 4MC/6SV

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"

[ This Message was edited by: ARB on 2003-09-20 13:19 ]
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '37 Olds with a Pilcyczuk Acusonic leadpipe and it really soars. I've been playing a Monette B4S mouthpiece with it. It's about the size of a Mt. Vernon 3C. Very comfortable with a lot of sizzle. The "S" stands for Soloff, I believe.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oliver -

What a beautiful horn. Congratulations on your shrewd acquisition. As a fellow member of the Olds Fan Club ('68 Recording and a hybrid Ambassador/Yamaha SC bell cornet being built), I can attest to the beauty of these instruments, the quality of craftsmanship, and the joy of play.

FWIW - I have really been able to soar on the Recording with either a Laskey 65* or GR Tech 64.7S. Solid control for me up to Hi-C, and hallucinagen-inducing excursions beyond!

I will echo you positive comments on Mr. Saloio. I bought a mouthpiece from him a few months back and it was a totally positive transaction. If I had the money, we might have gotten in a bidding war for your trumpet, but I didn't, so good job, enjoy the Super and post some soundclips, if you can.

- Paul Artola
Ellicott City, Maryland
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: