• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

foot tapping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murray

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might seem like a ridiculus question, but I will ask it anyway. Did Caruso insist on loud, audible foot tapping, or was it OK to tap your foot, or toe inside of your shoe? In other words, was the actual sound of your foot hitting the floor all-important, or was the feeling of beating time enough? By the way, these excersises really do help!
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caruso preferred that you have a strong down beat AND a strong up beat: one AND two AND three AND, etc. to begin with. He eventually would direct you subdivide the beat into,
one ee AND ah,
two ee AND ah,
three ee AND ah, etc.
where you would move after the "ah"

So to answer your question, no, you don't need to hear the foot tapping but you need to FEEL it strongly as you play the calisthenic exercises. As this method of practice becomes more and more familiar and comfortable, I've seen players who reduce the actual foot movement. I've always kept it pretty clearly defined. Just so long as you have a strong sense of time.

And. yes, these exercises really do work!

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-02-18 16:31 ]
cybertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think foot tapping is a good thing, but I once did a big band concert with Claudio Roditi next to me in the section and I was tapping my foot. He told me afterwards that he believes that if the rythm section is very good, this is "arguing" with the drummer. I think he is right. Now I tap when I practice Caruso and keep my foot still on the bandstand. Claudio also said that there are 2 types of players,the "excited" player and the "exciting" player. This rings true to me and his theory makes sense. He taps in the practice room, but not on the bandstand.
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, cybertrumpet, foot tapping can be a big distraction for other players on the band stand. If a player needs to keep time, inside the shoe is probably the best place to do it.

And I'll re-emphasize that foot tapping, like nose breathing and long setting, is a part of the Caruso calisthenic procedure, but strictly optional in regular playing.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really believe in foot tapping. If you are already feeling the beat, tapping your foot would be redundant wouldn't it?

I thought that it was an interesting comment that if you were tapping you would be "arguing with the drummer." The next time you are playing in an ensemble and you have the opportunity to watch the foot tappers, you will notice that everyone is tapping differently,

The only time that I will tap my foot is if I'm practicing and I come upon a really weird rhythm so I will tap through it as I figure it out, but once I have it, I stop and play it by feel.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

I agree with you about foot tapping on the gig or practicing in general. HOWEVER, since this is a Caruso approach forum, the issue of foot tapping should be limited in it's discussion to how it is an essential element in the Caruso calisthenic exercises. To choose not to employ foot tapping in those exercises is anyone's prerogative. But, in Mr Caruso's own words, progress is usually more accelerated when employing the foot tapping procedure as instructed.

So, it isn't really appropriate to discuss the pros and cons here of foot tapping in general. But I'm with you when it comes to playing music; FEEL the rhythm and make your notes a part of what's going on in the music as it is being played.

Rregards,

CR

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-02-18 22:29 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: