• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Type 4 Rattle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elgin wrote:
[quote=Doc told me in 1977 in my case don’t do lip buzzing because I was not depending on the buzz to produce the tone but rather the short stroke vibration of the top lip and direction of the airstream to upper mouthpiece cup where the rim meets the top of cup and creates a different turbulence then air and vibration straight into the hole. He said in my case buzzing would cause blown apart spread lips in the low and midrange. Once again this advice was for me and possibly other type 4 players (I don’t know for a fact)and probably should not be correct for downstream types. Glad that helped with getting rid of the rattle and wish you continued success .

So, Doc didn’t say don’t buzz upstream, he said “don’t buzz”. I’m wondering if buzzing upstream would have been OK? I can see why downstream buzzing could spread the chops, but not upstream.

Btw Mac, keeping the jaw more forward and thinking “air-to-nose” while playing is really working well for rattles. I’m even more convinced that they are primarily caused by an anomalous airstream.

An added benefit is that I have better compression/resistance.[/quote]

2 years later, Doc said only buzz downstream. Even if you play upstream. What he told Mac (not to buzz) was not universal for all upstream players but may have been specific to him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: