• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Switching from IIIB to IIIA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Switching from IIIB to IIIA Reply with quote

Hi All -- I tail-ended a related old thread and got a nice reply from Rich. So I'm starting a new thread to see if I can get some help from the wider community. I'm looking for info, stories, guidance, etc. about switching from IIIB to IIIA. Thanks in advance!
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this. When I had the chance to study under Dave Sheetz he typed me as "3B for now," but also pointed out he had done the jaw retention drill to the point of pain for quite some time. This was a clear recommendation for me. I got to the point where I'd lose track of how much time I had my jaw in it's most forward position driving through several small towns; my jaw had really strengthened.

It was difficulty with my low range that had me experimenting with my pivot. I found that pulling down helped my low range, and it became odd to also pull down for my upper range. I found that pushing up didn't hurt my upper register at all, and from there it made sense to try playing like a 3A. I also read a few threads on the subject of 3As who play like a 3B, and I seemed to fit the description.

I can't say it was an easy and obvious switch. I did go back and forth a few times, weeks at a time each way. Settling on 3A I'm sure that's my "true" type. I became more consistent than ever, fairly quickly as I settled into it. Following the jaw was more natural, playing through all registers with a more even tone quality, and day to day my sound was much more reliable and consistent.

In my case I think I couldn't play like a 3A until I strengthened my jaw, so 3B made sense. I wish I had experimented with 3A sooner after my jaw got so much stronger.

Obviously I have no idea if this is right for you, I'm just telling you what I experienced in case you find anything similar it might confirm - or you might find the opposite.

Play well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: