• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best mutes for vintage sounds?!?!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kubban

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara:
You are absolutely right about the H&B wa wa being the loudest for stem in playing. I have got an old red and white one with fibre body and some metal. It is loud and has a really really rich sound for the oldest jazz styles. I tend to prefer the H&B Cleartone or Shastock straight, but some times the wa wa is the right one. No, I haven't tried the Purviance yet, but I have it in mind if one crosses my road!

+numerous current and vintage trumpets, cornets, mouthpieces, mutes - yes you know I guess...
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Humes & Berg mic-a-mute (2000)
- corks filed for close cup sound. This is very nice for Buck Clayton'ish playing. It is a tad better for me than my alternative, a H&B cup close to the bell wich is also very nice. I have observed that the excellent New Orleans trumpeter Duke Heitger uses a Close H&B cup. I have a Ray Robinson cup (1950's), and both the H&B mic-a-mute and close H&B cup are far better for me. I have tried "everything" with it, but cant get the right sound with it. When close enough to the bell, the corks get too thin...

Why not get an old adjustable Shastock and then you can put it as close or as far to the bell as you want? It can be extremely quiet when it's right on the bell. Just a beauty of a mute. I always get compliments on it.
Www.LexSamu.com
kubban

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm!
That's a very good solution you suggest!
The Shastock tonalcolor sure does the job!
I have two Shastock Tonalcolor cup mutes, one with the early simple screw tighting mechanism, and one with the later more solid tighting mechanism they settled on. They are both excellent sounding, and I use them sometimes.
But for me - now - the mic-a-mute and H&B cup make me sound the closest to what I want to sound like

edit: It is the Ray Robinson I can't get right.

Torstein

+numerous current and vintage trumpets, cornets, mouthpieces, mutes - yes you know I guess...
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the screw one..Trent Austin gave me a super deal on it. In other news, I have one of these coming: http://www.facetmutes.com/shop/article_B-1/Trumpet-Bucket-Mute.html?sessid=HxIniJJxTbvYpMxf9cM5y64CHELkrLE83F72FV9V1DSsPtUSPw8gq9IfIexBZk2q&shop_param=cid%3D86%26aid%3DB-1%26

I also have a Peter Gane Bucket which goes right in the bell like a regular mute. It's beautiful and I use it on jazz restaurant gigs and also recordings and just when I want to get a unique, diffuse sound. These mutes are both over $100, but well worth it IMO if you are a pro/serious jazz player.
Www.LexSamu.com
kubban

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check out the Peter Gane bucket, thanks!
It's a very important quality of a mute that it records fine!
Torstein Kubban

ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a youtube of Alison Balsom using it... It's a really sweet mute and easy as putting a cup mute in.
Www.LexSamu.com
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
I think there's a youtube of Alison Balsom using it... It's a really sweet mute and easy as putting a cup mute in.

I was just looking at these mutes this weekend. May I ask where you got yours? There don't appear to be a ton of distributors here in the USA.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeff, I had to get it overseas.. It was Thomann music I believe located in the UK. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Best mutes for vintage sounds?!?! Reply with quote

trumanjazzguy wrote:
Hey all you beautiful people. I recently got into vintage mutes due to being in a traditional jazz and early rock and roll band.

I've acquired the following mutes recently:

1. CG Conn "maker" pixie (20's to 30's)
2. Humes and Berg Wah Wah Du All (copper)
3. 40's? V.J. LA Page aluminum cup mute
4. Humes and Berg Clear Tone (their version of a Shastock solo tone)
5. Really well sized plunger for standard bells

What other mutes would you recommend? Especially for growling and vocalizations? I'm looking to broaden my range of sonic expression here!
Is this the LaPage mute you mentioned? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=291072492941
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
Hey Jeff, I had to get it overseas.. It was Thomann music I believe located in the UK. Best, Lex

Thomann located in Germany but with this euro-dollar different you will pay lot of $$$ .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Archie Sawyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
ljazztrm wrote:

I was just looking at these mutes this weekend. May I ask where you got yours? There don't appear to be a ton of distributors here in the USA.

www.gerrybirch.co.uk

Gerry Birch makes the Peter Gane Bucket mute. I purchased mine directly from him. Great mute, one of my absolute favorites and extremely well made!

Archie
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archie Sawyer wrote:
www.gerrybirch.co.uk

Gerry Birch makes the Peter Gane Bucket mute. I purchased mine directly from him. Great mute, one of my absolute favorites and extremely well made!

Archie

I did the same thing. I asked him, and he does not have any dealers in the US but will sell direct to you.
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best mutes for vintage sounds?!?! Reply with quote

[/quote] Is this the LaPage mute you mentioned? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=291072492941[/quote]

YES! The one on ebay now appears to have the cup WAY too far back. There's no way you could seat the corks with the cup that close to them. I found mine was adjusted as far forward as the cup can go, and it still is a close cup to the bell (unless I physically hold it out, corks unseated). It is both bright and warm sounding...yes, that's possible! A wonderful mute, weighs absolutely nothing. Is made out of such thin aluminum that mine has light depressions where the corks are glued to the cone from the pressure of pushing it into the bell. I've written research papers that were heavier than that mute, by far. Not one to knock around or drop!
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am somewhat of a collector but I do occasionally have need for some of the old mutes when I get called for Traditional gigs or Big band era stuff plus they are just fun. My favorite mute for retro 20's is the Sastock solo tone, My favorite for the 40's sound is the Tonalcolor cup mute. My favorite all time Harmon Mute is still the original Chicago Harmon mute with intonation issues and all because of the sound.

Shastock
I have two Tonalcolor cups one in black and gold and one in white and gold (Play exactly the same)
Ditto with Shastock straight mutes I have one from the 20's with the violin Maple resonator and one slightly older probably from the 30's that just says straight mute and doesn't say violin maple resonator on it. Both of those are black then I have a newer white straight from the Micro period.
I have the Shastock solo tone with the brass ring on both ends (black)

Ray Robinson
Here I have two. The famous cup mute and the "Regular Mute" No Mel o Wah yet but I'm looking.

Selmer Stryotone England
Cup mute and Straight mute same period

Humes and Berg
Humes and Berg Stoneline Cup
Humes and Berg Stoneline Straight mute
Humes and Berg Stoneline Bucket Mellow tone
Humes and Berg Stoneline "Manny" mute

Wah Wah Harmon type mutes:
Harmon Mute An old original Chicago
Mufti mute Handmade by Gunnar Ullvén in Sweden known as the Dizzy Mute
Best Brass copper "cooljazz" mute
Tom Crown Copper Wah Wah

Assorted

easybucket mute formerly sold at easy bucket.com
Musik Amrein "AMR" handmade wooden straight mute made in Germany
Mutec adjustable copper cup mute
Peter Gane Bucket Mute
Tom Crown straight with copper bottom
Alessi Vacchiano Straight mute
JoRal Practice mute (Black)
AMT Chicago style trumpet plunger black
JoRal aluminum spun plunger

I have begun documenting my mutes in my photo bucket more images to come there in the future hopefully.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sounds7/library/Trumpet%20Mutes%20of%20a%20bygone%20era?sort=3&page=1

47 Martin Committee #3
Buescher lightweight 400 228
Buescher lightweight 400 217
Taylor/Harrelson/MAW
Warburton model 235
Stomvi Mambo #5
Conn constellation 38a cor.
Courtois 301 Orchestra C
Yamaha Custom 9830 pic
Yamaha 731 /Harrelson mod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Best mutes for vintage sounds?!?! Reply with quote

trumanjazzguy wrote:
Is this the LaPage mute you mentioned? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=291072492941[/quote]

Quote:
YES! The one on ebay now appears to have the cup WAY too far back. There's no way you could seat the corks with the cup that close to them. I found mine was adjusted as far forward as the cup can go, and it still is a close cup to the bell (unless I physically hold it out, corks unseated). It is both bright and warm sounding...yes, that's possible! A wonderful mute, weighs absolutely nothing. Is made out of such thin aluminum that mine has light depressions where the corks are glued to the cone from the pressure of pushing it into the bell. I've written research papers that were heavier than that mute, by far. Not one to knock around or drop!
Looks like the cup is adjustable and the picture was taken with the cup in the full in position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: