• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

carolbrass: good or bad?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuidoCorona wrote:
Hi Con, I do not have a C trumpet yet, but am intrigued by the

Carolbrass CTR-5062H-RLM(D)-C-S

This C trumpet model was apparently designed for Ken Saul -- of Ultrapure valve oil fame. It is a medium weight horn with a rather large 5.31 inch red brass bell, and sterling silver lead pipe... The bell is apparently sufficiently light so not to yield a uniformly dark tone, but lets the red brass respond very much to the player's blow, so to impart a wide palette of colors.

On the other hand, Carol seems to have about a dozen variants, and only a few of them are listed on the Carolbrass site:

http://www.carolbrass.com/product.php?i=114

What characteristics are you seeking in a C trumpet and in a piccolo?

Regards, Guido

For a C trumpet, I want a very warm and darkish tone, something that projects well in an acoustically perfect setting. I would prefer it to be either in brushed silver or satin/scratched lacquer. It would be used for pit orchestra solos, quintets possibly, concert band, and everyday study. For the piccolo, I'll be looking for something with a very sweet, yet bright tone that projects with out a great deal of work. This would also be used for pit, quintets, other chamber settings, everyday practice, and solo work. I will mention I'm not the best piccolo trumpet player out there by any means but I'm still learning. I do like the sound of the schilke p5-4 but it's a tad bright if you ask me.

Typos courtesy of my iphone,

Anyway, best regards,
charlieft

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought their CCR-7772R-YSS Bb cornet (designed after a Benge 8Z).
I Love this horn!! Good build, great valves, fantastic tone, plays in tune.

Have played trumpet for 60+ years, but had never played a cornet. Lately playing soft jazz in live rooms and was having a problem keeping the volume down without pinching my sound. (tough to play jazz when you don't like your sound).

Thought I would try a cornet and could not be happier with the Carol Brass CCR-7772R-YSS cornet. Sounds fantastic at all volume levels. The other guys are even coming up with tunes we should play to feature the cornet. This is the best buy I have made.

Liked it so much that I also picked up a Carol Brass CTR-6280L-PSM-Bb-SL trumpet. Trumpet looks great and plays easily and in tune, but have not yet played it on a gig. My current trumpet is a 1970 King silver Flair and I wanted to get a horn that was better for lyrical stuff and less of a screamer. Will post my thoughts on the trumpet after I use it for "real". Didn't knock me back as much as the cornet.

-Charlie
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Charlie, +++++ on the CCR-7772R.... I have the gold brass version, and also find it to be an amazing little horn.

Mine having the gold brass bell, it is probably a little warmer than yours. At this time my favorite mouthpieces for it are

* Flip Oakes Extreme 1.25 -- Unlike the flugel Extreme, the cornet version is very much a mainstream piece.... Slightly dark, it still retain full range and agility.

Griego CSFL (approximately a 7 cup) -- Yep, this marvel was not born as a cornet piece... It is in fact the stock MP shipped with the Getzen 4895 flugel. On flugel it creates a wonderful warm light tone.... Amazingly, it also works wonderfully on the Bb cornet, for which instead it creates a darker but agile tone.

Curry 1.25DC -- This is quite nice for a little bit of brilliance without giving up core.

Finally, if I want an even more brilliant tone, I resort to a Stork 2D cup.... And still the lower range retains its core.

I do have a Wick 2.... nice and buttery, but at least for me the tone is just a little "sloshy".... Eventually I want to try a Wick 3 or 4.

But you should not ignore the Carol Classic shipped with CCR-7772R... The critter is not at all a slouch!

Best, Guido
charlieft

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Guido,

So far I have tried a
Shilke 15c4 ( comfortable, but too bright/thin)
Horntrader HT3 (nice over full range, but tone is a tad thinner than the winner)
And the winner is
The CarolBrass mouthpiece that came with the horn

My only gripe is the CarolBrass piece makes it tougher to pick off high notes. I am going to research your suggestions (but this mouthpiece quest is getting expensive)

-Charlie
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Charlie, glad you are not passing off the stock Carol Classic as inherently irrelevant... It is IMO one fine general purpose and slightly dark MP for the CB triple crooker... Farr to many people ignore stock MPS, believing that, if they come with the horn, they just got to be substandard.

I agree that safariing-around for MPs can be expensive.... But, if you are patient enough, you will find some real jewels on TH.... I picked up Griego CSFL for about $20, for example.... And once a while I have seen the Flip Oakes as a reasonable price, definitely lower than its list of $95, which is in itself not bad for what the critter does for living.

The Curry DC and Stork D can be found between $40 and $45, and the Wick sometimes for a little less.

On the other hand, there is no real best.... So many mouthpieces can create their own special kind of magic, depending on the circumstances, musical genre, and personal preferences.

Guido
tradjazzman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I am blown away how much I like them. I've played literally 100s of trumpets over the years and I must admit it took me a few years before I even tried one. Now I am SOLD.

I play a CTR 8060H RLMD balanced for Trad / Dixie /... and I love it. Nice lively sweet tone. Then I also play a CTR 7660H RLM Legend for cool Jazz. Both are now my gig horns of choice.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing a 5000L -YSS and really love it. I recently played a 5060L GLT. It has a 72 lightweight bell with a sterling silver lead pipe. I love it. It is incredibly responsive.with a great sound. I may switch to the 5060.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious about the lightweight bell... I have the 506, which should be the predecessor to the 5060 but is a bit different (just comes with one reverse slide and what I think are medium caps). It's a great all around horn. Now that I think about it the bell might be lighter weight. Did you order your 5060 with a lightweight bell, or did it come that way? How do you know it's a 72 bell?
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's the real important kicker when it comes to determining CarolBrass' place in the ratings:

You can't post a topic or have a live conversation about CarolBrass horns without someone finishing their sentence with one of the following phrases:

"for the money."
"bang for the buck."
"at that price point."
"in that price range."

So let's get down to brass tacks and put it this way: If you did a blind test of CarolBrass against a Bach, Schilke, Calicchio, Scodwell, Yamaha, Shires, etc., and assuming they were all the same price, which do you think you'd end up choosing?

If they can't stand up against the top horns irrespective of price, then lets admit that these aren't among the best.

It seems that a lot of trumpet players are buying them because it gives them a decent playing horn without spending some serious bank. And along with that, they're willing to accept the horn losing its lacquer due to workmanship by people who work for a bowl of rice a day and are driven to get things done, "chop-chop."

But for guys who are saying, OK, I just want the BEST, I don't care what I'll have to pay, are they going to choose a CarolBrass?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:
Well here's the real important kicker when it comes to determining CarolBrass' place in the ratings:

You can't post a topic or have a live conversation about CarolBrass horns without someone finishing their sentence with one of the following phrases:

"for the money."
"bang for the buck."
"at that price point."
"in that price range."

So let's get down to brass tacks and put it this way: If you did a blind test of CarolBrass against a Bach, Schilke, Calicchio, Scodwell, Yamaha, Shires, etc., and assuming they were all the same price, which do you think you'd end up choosing?

If they can't stand up against the top horns irrespective of price, then lets admit that these aren't among the best.

It seems that a lot of trumpet players are buying them because it gives them a decent playing horn without spending some serious bank. And along with that, they're willing to accept the horn losing its lacquer due to workmanship by people who work for a bowl of rice a day and are driven to get things done, "chop-chop."

But for guys who are saying, OK, I just want the BEST, I don't care what I'll have to pay, are they going to choose a CarolBrass?

Sometimes, yes, they might choose Carol Brass.

In fact, I have posted here that they are good instruments, NOT just good “for the money.” I don’t currently own one, but *have, and my opinion is that while some guys buy them because of price, others buy them because they feel that they play as well as brands you mentioned.

(*I also don’t currently, but have, owned a Bach, Schilke, Yamaha...)

Brad
nordlandstrompet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
Curious about the lightweight bell... I have the 506, which should be the predecessor to the 5060 but is a bit different (just comes with one reverse slide and what I think are medium caps). It's a great all around horn. Now that I think about it the bell might be lighter weight. Did you order your 5060 with a lightweight bell, or did it come that way? How do you know it's a 72 bell?

For example CTR 5060 L GLT, the «L» in the middel of «GLT» indicate
«Large» bell, which is comparable with 72 bell.
If the letter was «S», the bell is more like 37.

First letter indicates material, third letter indicates material thickness.

My example is Goldbrass; Large 72; Thin material
---------------------------
Taylor
Chicago Custom X-VR
Chicago Gen III

CarolBrass
CTR-5200V-(D)-L
CCT-9392-GLS(D)
CCR-9990-RSM-SLB
CPT-3000-GLS
CPT-1000 mini
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:

So let's get down to brass tacks and put it this way: I just want the BEST, I don't care what I'll have to pay, are they going to choose a CarolBrass?

For me; YES!!!

And I've owned dozens of trumpets including several Calicchio's, Wild Thing, and just about everything else.

There's a world of great horns out there, that I would be happy playing on as a Pro player but yes, it IS the price point that makes them even more attractive.
TrptSTP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:

"for the money."
"bang for the buck."
"at that price point."
"in that price range."

Actually yes, I would choose them over some of the horns. I won't speak poorly of any of the makers that you've listed, but the Carolbrass stuff that I have tested have been at least as good if not better than some of the "high-end" brands.

Also, their brushed lacquer finish is gorgeous. These instruments are made in Taiwan. I would wager that the craftsmen and women are paid decently. Your "bowl of rice a day" comment reeks of racism.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:

"for the money."
"bang for the buck."
"at that price point."
"in that price range."

A better question would be, "if CarolBrass made instruments of truly equivalent quality to the top manufacturers, and priced them accordingly, would buyers look past where CarolBrass is from, and just assess the instruments on their quality?"

They're in business to make money, not to get accolades on trumpet forums. If the market wants what they sell, but won't buy what some people regard as the real standard of quality if they make it, what choice do they have?
Ozzbo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an owner of a Carol Legend Heavy and many of the other brands discussed to compare it with, I would not choose the Carol over a Schilke, Calicchio, Bach, Benge, Olds, Selmer,...etc.

Although this Carol horn is a good player and built well, with all being equal (price, condition, bore) I would choose the other horns instead. They feel more solid in the hands and have more consistent blows and presence.

Ozzy
grune

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:

"for the money."
"bang for the buck."
"at that price point."
"in that price range."

"the BEST" is entirely a subjective determination.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it’s just me, but parts of Gabriel127’s statement (bowl of rice, chop chop) are pretty racist to me. Did you ever live or work in Taiwan for an extended period of time? I am sure (in fact I am not) that you are aware that Taiwan is not China ...

Back to topic: To comment on CB instruments, yes, I would pick some of the CB instruments over others, especially the cornets. One thing I really appreciate at CB is that there is a huge pool of customizations offered. I am aware of the build-your-Bach thing but I do not know if other companies offer the same model fexibility CB offers.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
grune

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sounds7"]I would love to try this model
http://www.frequency.com/video/first-impression-of-new-carolbrass/140190534/-/5-788574

A balanced trumpet with a sterling lead pipe , bet it's a player.[/quote

dead link.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="grune"]
sounds7 wrote:
I would love to try this model
http://www.frequency.com/video/first-impression-of-new-carolbrass/140190534/-/5-788574

A balanced trumpet with a sterling lead pipe , bet it's a player.[/quote

dead link.

Broken quote.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the balanced trumpet at a music convention and it was my favorite of all the Carol instruments (actually the favorite trumpet I played there). I also answered my question above--the 5060 is designed differently from the earlier 506 (which I have) but the blow and sound are very similar. When they were making the 506, they didn't provide as much model info, so I think it's the regular bell.

I feel a little frustrated on behalf of Taiwanese trumpets, because I've now tried a fair number and wish they'd get more credit. It's pretty clear Carol is now making equipment for a lot of other makers out there, but when people write about their new Taylor or puje or whatever they seem to see it as something entirely other than a Carol, where I suspect it's still a lot of Carol plus something else too.

Carol is also my favorite of the Taiwanese brands. I've tried all the Mauriat instruments, and think they have some cool design features, but they all feel like variations on the same basic horn. I've also bought a "Harmonie" trumpet, which was recommended to me by a trumpet performance grad. I quite like it but the appearance still has some small flaws I wish had been caught in production.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: