• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams Cornets

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarcastic Musician

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Adams Cornets Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience playing these? I've searched the forum, and I can't find any reference to them.
scatanas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played one. I've owned a Adams A4 trumpet and it was one of the finest instruments I've ever played.

Give Trent Austin a call with any questions you have regarding any Adams products. He's a great person and very helpful as well.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Adams cornet is an excellent machine. I was up to ACB last weekend and played one for a short time.

It fit my wide palm and my short fingers. I had no difficulty exercising the 1st and 3rd slides. If your hand is smaller or your fingers are longer, you'll do fine as well. No balance issues in the hand or at the chops when bringing a note into its scale via the left hand. Did I need to? Very little. Only as is inherent to the realm.

Why write "machine"? Because it is equal to or superior in build to any cornet I've tried. That includes a standard of excellence in the form of the Olds R-5 Recording. Might the Adams be in a tie with other top-notch modern short shepherd crook cornets? That's a comparison for another person to provide.

The Wick 4 and the Reynolds 5A mouthpieces I had with me did exactly what you'd expect them to do. There was plenty of secure and immediate response with both, along with just enough "cushion". Think bandwidth, headroom, legroom, whatever analogy you wish to think of in terms of integrity of timbre and 'blow'. IMO the cornet would do well however you led it, even if you attempted to lead it astray.

This cornet expressed a stable core and retained that quality however I pushed it. Beyond these impressions IDK enough to recognize any quirks. The Adams cornet is a fine instrument. So do I want one? Gawd ya! Did I go home and forget about the rest of the horses in the stable? Almost. It did make me wonder if I might liquidate holdings of many good horns in order to have just a few of the best, tho to be fair to you (edit: and to the other companies who build and market similar instruments) I haven't tried enough with the same wrap to offer an a/b.

Hope this helps. (...call Trent)
Sarcastic Musician

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the well written, and very informative reply. I found a used one for a fantastic price. It's already in the mail.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it yet? Inquiring minds need to know!
Gregg Peele

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the first Adams cornet sold in the US from Trent. It is a fine instrument that plays as well as any I've tried. I've had many other horns.

It does have a fine sound and is versatile. For me, it didn't have the sound my conductor wanted in our brass band. It was a joy to play and may suit others fine. The horn was extremely well made.
Sarcastic Musician

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't have it for a while. It takes some extra time for large, insured packages to get to me in Japan. After I've played it a little I'll post a few thoughts.
sparxIV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: cornets Reply with quote

G. Peele ................. the sound your conductor wanted ????

Cheers,
ted
www.sparxmusic.com
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: cornets Reply with quote

sparxIV wrote:

Cheers,
ted
www.sparxmusic.com

I'll ask what he's asking. I'll add: was it the model with the gold brass bell? That one is advertised as holding a middle ground no matter how it is pushed, which is just what I experienced, abeit in just a 5-minute noodle, solo in a room & without being in a group. Articulate and well-mannered. Dyed-in-the-wool class but not boiled wool in texture. (Yes, I have a mild case of synaethesia, but it adds to the color of life.)
eagle362
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers,
ted

I sold an old Bach 3C to a friend for their son. The HS conductor required all the trumpets to have Bach 3c mpcs so they would all sound alike>>>>>
Mark
Sorry for the off topic reply.......
Kanstul 1530 / Wick 4.5, 5B, and Sparx (GR) 4B soloist
Eclipse Flug / Trent Austin M5 mpc
reynolds Contempora
Conn 80A
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagle362 wrote:

Cheers,
ted

I sold an old Bach 3C to a friend for their son. The HS conductor required all the trumpets to have Bach 3c mpcs so they would all sound alike>>>>>
Mark
Sorry for the off topic reply.......

I never knew it worked that way. Huh!

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwoodard wrote:
I never knew it worked that way. Huh!

I still don't know it works that way...
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Order a Curry 10.5 XS in a Bach blank for the kid. The director will never know it's not a 3C.
Gregg Peele

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our conductor is a Besson Artist and that's the sound he wanted.

Gregg
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregg Peele wrote:
Our conductor is a Besson Artist and that's the sound he wanted.

Gregg
So, Besson makes batons? That je-ne-sais-quoi resonance of wood, or fiberglass, or carbon fiber as it connects with the podium music stand. I can hear it now...
Sarcastic Musician

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I finally got my new (for me) Adams Cornet I was immediately impressed with how it looked. I'm definitely care way more about how a horn functions than how it looks, but I can still appreciate the way an instrument looks. This one looks absolutely beautiful (pictures may follow).

It's a CN1 with a Gold Brass bell, and has a third valve slide trigger as well as a main tuning slide trigger, and both work perfectly and feel comfortable. The valves are unsurprisingly amazing (Adams owns Bauerfeind).

I haven't played many cornets, and hardly any professional models. A couple of years ago I played with a British style Brass Band, and they lent me a Yamaha 2330. It was OK, but extremely tight in the upper register. I've tooted a little on a friends Getzen 3850(?) and Smith-Watkins, but not enough to give a good comparison, and it was several years ago.

This horn plays wonderfully. As I'm mainly a trumpet player I realize there will be several general tendencies that I'll have to get accustomed to, but other than a couple notes in the upper register not slotting where I expected them to, it's been a very easy transition (so far). I barely need to use the triggers the intonation is so good, and the horn is VERY consistent throughout its (my) range. I really couldn't be happier, and I think I'll be playing this one for a very long time.

Now I have to get a cornet mouthpiece that's somewhere in the same ballpark as the diameter I play on trumpet. I'm looking at getting a Curry 3BBC. and a friend has a Warburton 3BC and some backbores he'll let me try in a couple of months. Any suggestions?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curry 3BBC. is a very good mouthpiece (and is inexpensive, too). Try one before looking too much at other mouthpieces.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. i found the very same thing, so far as where the notes land above the staff. Once I listened, it was clear that the Adams CN1 was teaching me something.

Enjoy!
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see some Adams' appearing in Brass Band circles - looking at their website and the specs of the horn they are targeting that market.

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
gluzband

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: adams cornet Reply with quote

tried it last week.

one of the best horns on the planet.

CN1......that means the trigger actually moves the main tuning slide.

NICE!

gluzband
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: