• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lou has a new to her cornet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lou,

As a parent, I've found that my children followed their own paths as it relates to music expression. I played trumpet/cornet, guitar and performed vocally. I continue to do that though not as much as I did when I was younger and in better health.

My oldest son (age 44) didn't follow the path of playing a music instrument. However, his two children (my grandchildren) both did. My oldest grandson (age 22) played clarinet in school band and now plays guitar. His younger sister plays clarinet in the school band, too.

My second son (age 37) played percussion is school band and continues to play drums today. His daughters (my granddaughters) are involved in sports in school.

My daughter (age 35) is a vocalist and is involved in the Praise Team in her church and performs as a guest at other functions from time to time. Her mother (my late wife) was a vocalist, too.

My oldest stepson (age 43) played baritone) in high school band and enjoyed it. My youngest stepson (age 35) played trombone when he was in high school band, but didn't like it and eventually dropped out of band altogether However, his oldest son/my grandson (age 14) plays trumpet in school band and appears to like it and is doing well. He comes to visit our home each week and my wife and I practice with him. He plays trumpet, my wife plays flugelhorn and I play cornet.

Lou, it appears your eleven year old son has other interests, hobbies and endeavors that make a mother proud.

One of your daughters is involved in music through singing and dancing. She is attends school where brass music is encouraged. Time will tell if she will become interested in brass music. Singing and dancing teaches discipline and involves music, too.

It appears that your youngest daughter has been around music her whole life. She may show interest in music and playing a musical instrument in the future. She will follow her interests as most children do.

My late wife and I wanted our children and grandchildren to follow their hobbies and other interests, too. My second wife and I share the same opinion and do our best to support our children and grandchildren in their endeavors, hobbies and interests. Together, we have five adult children and nine grandchildren. It is a blessing to watch the children and grandchildren in their endeavors, hobbies and interests as we did when we were younger and still do today.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmf wrote:
Hi Lou,

Hi Lloyd

Thank you very very much for sharing.

As a parent, I've found that my children followed their own paths as it relates to music expression.

I understand. This in my opinion is how it should be, and I am leaving my own children to follow their own paths. The only input I think that I would have, would be if for example, for my five year old did decide to learn cornet at school, unless the school teacher was a respected brass teacher, I would probably pay for some good lessons before she started, rather than letting the school teacher start her off, just so that she doesn't start off with missed bad habits. After that however, I would back off, and allow her to enjoy the school music programme.

I played trumpet/cornet, guitar and performed vocally. I continue to do that though not as much as I did when I was younger and in better health.

I'm really glad to hear that you are still enjoying performing. I'm practising as much as ever, but have really reduced my band commitments, playing in only my Brass Band, and my husband's once a fortnight rehearsal only Jazz Band, after having my third child.

My oldest son (age 44) didn't follow the path of playing a music instrument. However, his two children (my grandchildren) both did. My oldest grandson (age 22) played clarinet in school band and now plays guitar. His younger sister plays clarinet in the school band, too.

My second son (age 37) played percussion is school band and continues to play drums today. His daughters (my granddaughters) are involved in sports in school.

My daughter (age 35) is a vocalist and is involved in the Praise Team in her church and performs as a guest at other functions from time to time. Her mother (my late wife) was a vocalist, too.

My oldest stepson (age 43) played baritone) in high school band and enjoyed it. My youngest stepson (age 35) played trombone when he was in high school band, but didn't like it and eventually dropped out of band altogether However, his oldest son/my grandson (age 14) plays trumpet in school band and appears to like it and is doing well. He comes to visit our home each week and my wife and I practice with him. He plays trumpet, my wife plays flugelhorn and I play cornet.

That is nice. I remarried two years ago, and my husband also has children from his previous marriage. His daughter who is fifteen, plays cornet with us in my husbands Jazz band.

Lou, it appears your eleven year old son has other interests, hobbies and endeavors that make a mother proud.

Thank you very much. He has had various interests as he has grown up, but he is currently enjoying cartoon drawing.

One of your daughters is involved in music through singing and dancing. She is attends school where brass music is encouraged. Time will tell if she will become interested in brass music. Singing and dancing teaches discipline and involves music, too.

It would be nice if she did decide to learn an instrument, but she has learning difficulties and developmental delay, which could make things harder for her. Rather than performing uniformly across the board, she really struggles in some areas whilst excelling in others, so hopefully she will be very successful in what she chooses to do.

It appears that your youngest daughter has been around music her whole life. She may show interest in music and playing a musical instrument in the future. She will follow her interests as most children do.

She is the child of my second marriage, and has a musician father also, and is growing up surrounded by music, so maybe she is more likely to be musical. But as you say, she will follow her own interests.

My late wife and I wanted our children and grandchildren to follow their hobbies and other interests, too. My second wife and I share the same opinion and do our best to support our children and grandchildren in their endeavors, hobbies and interests. Together, we have five adult children and nine grandchildren. It is a blessing to watch the children and grandchildren in their endeavors, hobbies and interests as we did when we were younger and still do today.

I couldn't agree more. Myself and my husband are of the same opinion.

Thank you very much for sharing. I really enjoyed reading your post.

Best wishes to you too.

Take Care

Lou

Best wishes,

Lloyd

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

After getting my new to me cornet, I thought simply for interests sake, I'd take a nose at its specifications:

http://trevorjonesltd.co.uk/YamahaXenoBbCornetYCR-8335.htm

especially in regard to the Maestro I had years ago:

http://trevorjonesltd.co.uk/ycr6335hsuk.htm

and the Neo:

http://trevorjonesltd.co.uk/Yamaha_833502_8335S02_8335G02_8335GS02_Neo_Cornet.htm

Specification wise they are identical, although the Neo is described as having "a goldbrass tuning slide crook & connecting tube."

Just for interests sake, I wonder has anyone spent enough time on all three cornets to ascertain how they compare.

I'm extremely happy with mine, so have no wish to try the Neo. As I said, I'm simply interested in how they differ.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Just for interests sake, I wonder has anyone spent enough time on all three cornets to ascertain how they compare.

I have yet to play the Neo, but own both a Xeno and a Maestro.
I find the Maestro to have a more pleasing (to me) tone, but find the Xeno easier to just "slip into." If I was playing purely cornet for some time I would probably choose the Maestro but because I only play it quite rarely I tend to use the Xeno.

Intonation wise I find the Xeno to be much easier to cope with.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetmike wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

I have yet to play the Neo, but own both a Xeno and a Maestro.
I find the Maestro to have a more pleasing (to me) tone, but find the Xeno easier to just "slip into." If I was playing purely cornet for some time I would probably choose the Maestro but because I only play it quite rarely I tend to use the Xeno.

Intonation wise I find the Xeno to be much easier to cope with.

Hi trumpetmike

Thank you very much.

Have you got the gold or yellow brass bell on your Xeno?

Thanks

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm still loving the Xeno, so things have turned out well.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well here is a quick review.

I play in a pretty standard modern British Brass Band. A few pieces for our new 2014 season, are Cartoon Capers, a selection containing the Looney Tunes and The Simpson's themes, Arnhem, a march, a selection from Mozart's Magic Flute, and a combination of the Lord Gavest (hymn) and Sunset (bugle call I suppose).

Therefore a variety of cornet sounds from bright and heralding like a trumpet, to a mellow and traditional sound, are called for.

In my opinion, this cornet does all this, very well.

I've gone for the yellow brass bell, which probably does the brighter stuff better and more effort is needed for a mellower sound, but it works well across the board, and I would say that either the gold or yellow brass bell models, would work well in an average brass band.

This cornet for me, has average playing characteristics, sufficiently open not to feel stuffy, but with enough resistance to give upper register support and reasonable endurance.

Intonation is very good.

Being used to using the stiff first slide trigger for a thumb rest on my Bach Strad, I have to be careful not to mistakenly press the first slide trigger, as it moves very freely. I'd prefer it to be stiffer. For some reason, my 3rd slide trigger is stiffer. Maybe it is just my cornet. The positioning of the third slide trigger is far too far away from the valve block for my tiny hands, worse for me than the Sovereign. The 1st slide trigger is easy to use.

I don't really have anything to say. This is basically a very good cornet with medium playing characteristics, that does everything across the board very well. I'd just like a stiffer 1st slide trigger spring, and the 3rd slide trigger level closer to the valve block, but I am used to the stiff first slide trigger of the Bach Strad, and have very small hands, so probably neither of these would be an issue for most players.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huzzah! Knock 'em dead, Louise
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardwy wrote:
Huzzah! Knock 'em dead, Louise

Thank you very much.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try a slide grease on your 1st trigger and valve oil on the 3rd.

Your programme is that Evening Hymn and Sunset ( by Rob Wiffen, I think) ?

If not suggest that one to your band. Terrific arrangement.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
You could try a slide grease on your 1st trigger and valve oil on the 3rd.

Your programme is that Evening Hymn and Sunset ( by Rob Wiffen, I think) ?

If not suggest that one to your band. Terrific arrangement.

Hi Rapier232

Thank you very much. I've put slide grease on my 1st trigger, the Yamaha synthetic one, which is fairly light, so I could try a heavier one, such as that pink Selmer one I had years ago.

I've mixed Yamaha synthetic light valve oil with slide grease on the third. Sounds like valve oil only is the way to go then, or more oil/less grease?

I've checked my band folder, and it is indeed the arrangement you mention. I agree that it is a terrific arrangement.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used that music to end a concert in a theatre a few years ago. We placed the cornets at various spots round the venue for it. Very effective.

We opened with Zulu. Lights off, commentary as the timps play and red lights coming up slowly.

As for the triggers I only use valve oil on the slides. On one of my trumpets the 3rd slide is a bit too loose so I use the Selmer grease you mentioned.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I'm a big fan of Bach rotor oil on slides. It's much quicker than most typical slide greases. And though not quite as quick as valve oil, it's plenty fast enough and it lasts really well.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsHusum wrote:
Perhaps a Getzen 3850 in yellow brass?

This was my first guess too! A really nice horn. Whatever it is I'm glad to read Lou found a keeper!! Sometimes I think it wise to totally forget about equipment and just play what ya got ... like if nobody ever messed with my chops trying to teach me and I just stuck with my first horn, mpc, and a stack of Ruby Braff records
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou,

The third slide can be stiff because of friction between the spring and the axle of the trigger. Put a couple drops of rotor oil on the curl of the spring that wraps around the axle. You may want also to disassemble the trigger (take off one screw connecting the third slide with the S arm, while pulling the trigger slightly to avoid friction. Clean the surfaces of the moving and stationary tubes, and oil with rotor oil. Assemble by pulling the trigger to bring the S arm into position. Be careful with the small screw as it is easy to get lost. Use a screwdriver that matches the screw well.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
We used that music to end a concert in a theatre a few years ago. We placed the cornets at various spots round the venue for it. Very effective.

Hi

Sounds great! I wasn't aware of this arrangement until I saw it for the first time last rehearsal. I've played the Evening Hymn and Last Post many times, but this is of course not the same Evening Hymn, and as you are no doubt aware, is a solo of the last post played within the band playing the Evening Hymn. Isn't there a similar one with a single player playing Sunset within a hymn?

We opened with Zulu. Lights off, commentary as the timps play and red lights coming up slowly.

I've never played Zulu, but sounds great!

As for the triggers I only use valve oil on the slides. On one of my trumpets the 3rd slide is a bit too loose so I use the Selmer grease you mentioned.

I'll give it a try, thanks. Have you ever tried the Yamaha slide oil, and if so, how does it compare in viscosity to valve oil?

Many Thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
FWIW I'm a big fan of Bach rotor oil on slides. It's much quicker than most typical slide greases. And though not quite as quick as valve oil, it's plenty fast enough and it lasts really well.

Hi cheiden

Thank you very much, I'll check it out.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
LarsHusum wrote:
Perhaps a Getzen 3850 in yellow brass?

This was my first guess too! A really nice horn. Whatever it is I'm glad to read Lou found a keeper!! Sometimes I think it wise to totally forget about equipment and just play what ya got ... like if nobody ever messed with my chops trying to teach me and I just stuck with my first horn, mpc, and a stack of Ruby Braff records

Hi

Thank you very much.

It is a Yamaha Xeno, the YCR-8335, with the yellow brass bell.

I however totally agree that once you settled on one horn, you should just go with it, and not keep switching things, as this could lead to a lack of consistency and security.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Lou,

The third slide can be stiff because of friction between the spring and the axle of the trigger. Put a couple drops of rotor oil on the curl of the spring that wraps around the axle. You may want also to disassemble the trigger (take off one screw connecting the third slide with the S arm, while pulling the trigger slightly to avoid friction. Clean the surfaces of the moving and stationary tubes, and oil with rotor oil. Assemble by pulling the trigger to bring the S arm into position. Be careful with the small screw as it is easy to get lost. Use a screwdriver that matches the screw well.

Hi etc-etc

Thank you very much. I'll give it a good oiling, and then if it doesn't improve, try what you have suggested.

Thanks again

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
SirBuzzALot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Guessed it would be a yammie after the other thread about meatsro's and xeno's / neo's !

Still playing my Meastro 12 years after I was 'told to' lol - would like to give the xeno / neo a blow to see how they compare.

Stick with it and resist going back to 'what your used to' so that you give it a fair go.

Any future mouthpiece changes should be easier to assess as you would be used to the cornet and would not be worrying about the instrumnet.

Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: