• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Plunger mute?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_1dac1c5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Best Plunger mute? Reply with quote

I know I can use a sink plunger or normal plunger or buy one, but I honestly have no idea which one to get that sounds good. Please enlighten me on this subject! Thank you!
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Humes and Berg Tuxedo plunger, myself. Yes, I know it costs more.

But I dislike playing with plumbing tools.

They also still make the Glenn Miller plunger mutes that the Miller band used in the 30s.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small, blue sink plungers found at Rite Aid. The standard terracotta-colored plungers are too big for trumpet, and are best saved for use on trombone.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be it a sink plunger or specially music made plunger mute, I always prefer an oversized plunger. It's easier for me to manipulate/manage the pitch when the plunger "bowl" is larger.

I usually use a plunger the size a tenor trombonist would use. The red and white Humes and Berg rubber plunger (with built in finger ring) also works well for me. I don't know if it is still being made since I don't see it in their catalog.

I also prefer rubber since you can bend it to allow how much air/sound comes out.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you can buy a newfangled coconut mute for that!

I personally like the smaller (maybe 4-5") garden variety plunger but I can't always find them at the hardware store. I'll look the next time I'm at Rite Aid.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:
The small, blue sink plungers found at Rite Aid. The standard terracotta-colored plungers are too big for trumpet, and are best saved for use on trombone.

Plungers come in various sizes and colors.

I still have a local hardware store so I was able to borrow a few different ones to try at home before I purchased.
1948 Holton Model 48
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a P&H London rubber plunger for my trumpet (lite and easy with nice tuninig) and a terrific vintage Shastock white T.Dorsey plunger for my cornet (realy old time sound specialy when i mached it with a old no name pixie i have ) , the rubber H&B did works for me i prefer the Humes and Berg Tuxedo plunger and also i have try many others until to find the one i like , dont forget to mension the cheap but very good EMO plastic plunger.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Plunger mute? Reply with quote

Jloon36 wrote:
I know I can use a sink plunger or normal plunger or buy one, but I honestly have no idea which one to get that sounds good. Please enlighten me on this subject! Thank you!

Rubber sink plungers are used by a huge % of pros. Usually 4 or 5". If it's good enough for Snooky Young, it's good enough for me.

Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, just about any local hardware store for a few bucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see the 6" is most common. And I've heard guys make it sound good but I always struggle to hold and move it it so I prefer the 4-4.5".
http://www.oatey.com/brands/harvey/products/drain-and-waste-system-cleaners/drain-cleaning-chemicals-tools/harvey-plungers
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Plunger mute? Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Jloon36 wrote:

Rubber sink plungers are used by a huge % of pros. Usually 4 or 5". If it's good enough for Snooky Young, it's good enough for me.

Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, just about any local hardware store for a few bucks.

Well said...
1948 Holton Model 48
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gchun01 wrote:

I usually use a plunger the size a tenor trombonist would use. The red and white Humes and Berg rubber plunger (with built in finger ring) also works well for me. I don't know if it is still being made since I don't see it in their catalog.

Here it is!

http://www.humesandberg.com/product_detail.php?product=13

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:

I use a terra cotta colored one myself. Not the trombone/toilet size, but the sink/trumpet size. These are the same size as the colored ones I have seen in my area. Ymmv.
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
gchun01 wrote:

Here it is!

http://www.humesandberg.com/product_detail.php?product=13

Tom

That's the one! Nice search skills. Don't know why I had no luck.

Garry
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Adam V wrote:

I use a terra cotta colored one myself. Not the trombone/toilet size, but the sink/trumpet size. These are the same size as the colored ones I have seen in my area. Ymmv.

Awesome. I rarely see those in sink size.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
Ole
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Plunger mute Reply with quote

One of my favorite plunger mute scenes is in the 1980 Blues Brothers movie.
Cab Calloway is belting out Minnie the Moocher and Alan Rubin aka " Mr. Fabulous" is growling away with a gold painted sink plunger.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gchun01 wrote:
Be it a sink plunger or specially music made plunger mute, I always prefer an oversized plunger. It's easier for me to manipulate/manage the pitch when the plunger "bowl" is larger.

I also prefer rubber since you can bend it to allow how much air/sound comes out.

Bought one in December. I tried a $1 plunger from...the dollar store (surprise!) It smelled like gasoline.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Plunger mute Reply with quote

Ole wrote:
One of my favorite plunger mute scenes is in the 1980 Blues Brothers movie.
Cab Calloway is belting out Minnie the Moocher and Alan Rubin aka " Mr. Fabulous" is growling away with a gold painted sink plunger.

I am so going to do this, even if it only lasts for one gig.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to the Jo-Ral aluminum plunger mute several years ago and would never go back to a rubber plumber's plunger. The Jo-Ral is lightweight, extremely easy to handle and produces the same sound as my rubber plumber's plunger produced. Here's a link:

http://www.wwbw.com/Jo-Ral-TPT-6-Aluminum-Trumpet-Plunger-Mute-471839-i1417794.wwbw
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the small blue sink plungers and it works fine. I also have one of the H&B Glenn Miller plungers, matched with short mute for when the pair is needed. Otherwise I just use my blue one.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Plungers Reply with quote

Worth repeating...Working with Snooky for some years, I LOVED the blue rubber plunger he used and never could find one similar. It was quite a bit larger in diameter than the red rubber ones you see everywhere and the newer blue plastic ones popping up. In Japan with a tour, I wandered into the equivalent of a Lowe's store and found the exact plunger. It was the same blue and the same size. I bought a few for myself and friends plus one to replace Snooky's old one which he had glued together with silicone seal and cords. You just trimmed the inner lip off and it really is the best I've found. Big enough volume for use with a "Pixie" mute if desired and the sound without is correct. I have yet to see them anywhere else unfortunately but for sure they are available in Japan. Another plunger story concerning Clark Terry. He was in Canada and somehow his plunger came up missing. He went into a hardware store and picked up a replacement leaving the stick that comes with it behind. When checking out the clerk asked if he wanted the stick and Clark said, "Oh, I never use one" and the clerk said, "YUCK".
Clark also advised the trumpet players to play the plunger coming in more than going out.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available in the US only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808 and in Sydney, Australia at Sax and Woodwind...and Brass and in Freiburg, Germany at Musik-Bertram.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: