• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tuners

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeavyKitten

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Tuners Reply with quote

Personal favorite tuners and why?
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Korg-TM50BK-Instrument-Tuner-Metronome/dp/B00923H7MA

Nice size, metronome also, works well, inexpensive.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleartune app is cheap and always with me. Seems accurate and offers different tempraments and has lots of adjustability.

It doesnt always lock onto the note esp low register, i think the overtones confuse it.

Snark clip on tuner. Fast response. Seems to work in all registers. Has a mic and a vibration sensor which is selectable. Bright and useful screen.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have several on my iPhone. I prefer the iStroboSoft of the bunch. Think is was around $10, which was fine with me. I grew up using a StroboTuner, so it brings back nice memories.

My bell clip-on is a Korg AW-2. Had it for maybe 7 years, not sure if that model is made anymore. Very responsive, nicely small and it has a back-light that you can turn on. I use it when I'm in situations where I'm surrounded by terrible pitch & need a little help. Works great on my picc.

The only downside to the Korg is it doesn't transpose. Not that that is necessary, but it would be nice.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also really like the iStrobosoft tuner.

The main advantage to using a cell phone based tuner over a stand-alone one is a properly designed voltage regulator. Hand-held tuners (even name brand ones) vary wildly in accuracy relative to the battery state (new, used, nearly dead).

If you can't trust them, what's the point?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tactson "tune master".. lots of options and it's on my phone thus, it's always with me - somehow, the korg tuner I own is never in the case I have with me.

along with "SilverDial" metronome, my phone takes care of many of those needs.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones on either side of your head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpter1 wrote:

I think mine are low on batteries.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpter1 wrote:

I admire your confidence.

A few months back someone posted a reasonably famous trumpeter, playing some really high stuff. As I didn't know what the notes were, I put a tuner on them to see. The guy was a mile sharp. When I said so, you'd think I'd accused the Pope of being Jewish.

So tuners, good to check your ears are working.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
jcathey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tuners Reply with quote

Yamaha TD-1. Small, fits easily in a case. Seems sensitive enough, and locks on quicker than other tuners I've used. Can be used in a noisy band room, unlike some. Transposes, but only in the most common keys. Pretty hard on its coin-cell batteries, though.

Conn Strobotuner. Not small, won't walk away on you! Ultra-fast response, can see all 12 notes at once. Transposes, but only in the most common keys (and Db). Would be extremely hard on batteries, if it used them!
KMT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an iDevice.

http://tonalenergy.com
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleartune app, though I rarely use it or any other tuner.

Regarding upper register stuff I find that a certain amount of stretching is required in order to sound right. When a trumpet plays high and pegs the tuner's needle it almost always sound dead. Stretch tuning is a given with piano tuning and though ensembles are more complex creatures some of the same seems to apply.

In an unrelated thread it was said that just because you use a tuner doesn't mean you're a slave to it. Good musicians know that the tuner is only a starting point and that best intonation changes chord to chord and to a degree, with register.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tuners Reply with quote

HeavyKitten wrote:
Personal favorite tuners and why?

I like this one: http://tunable.affinityblue.com/
Cheap, accurate, good metronome, and I haven't forgotten to bring it to a practice yet.

I also have a Korg TM-40 w/ clip-on mic that's better at "hearing just me" than smart-phone based tuners.

Gary.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
A few months back someone posted a reasonably famous trumpeter, playing some really high stuff. As I didn't know what the notes were, I put a tuner on them to see. The guy was a mile sharp.

Sharp relative to what, exactly? The ensemble he was playing in, or your tuner?

Imagine you are in an orchestra, and 80 something players all tune to an oboe that's sharp compared to A=440. Do you steadfastly refuse to push in and come up to the rest of the orchestra while staring at your digital tuner, or adjust to fit the group?

Same things for playing specific notes in a chord. Do you need to come up/down (just intonation) for where you fit into the chord, or do you stare at your tuner dial and declare victory when it stops spinning?

The only point I'm making is that far more often than some would like to believe, playing in tune with your tuner means you're out of tune with everyone around you.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Snark 2 tuner:

I saw a video where Wayne Bergeron and Dan Fornero were using it in the studio so I figured it had to be decent:

Link

Killer tune too!
1948 Holton Model 48
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Rapier232 wrote:
A few months back someone posted a reasonably famous trumpeter, playing some really high stuff. As I didn't know what the notes were, I put a tuner on them to see. The guy was a mile sharp.

Sharp relative to what, exactly? The ensemble he was playing in, or your tuner? .

He was soloing alone. So, sharp to the actual pitch of the note. My point is that yes he could scream, but not scream in tune. But as the saying goes, "Near enough for jazz".

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
RandyTX wrote:
Rapier232 wrote:

Sharp relative to what, exactly? The ensemble he was playing in, or your tuner? .

He was soloing alone. So, sharp to the actual pitch of the note. My point is that yes he could scream, but not scream in tune. But as the saying goes, "Near enough for jazz".

"A mile sharp" according to the tuner tells me nothing about the subjective experience. I expect that high notes will be on the high side of the tuner both for the aforementioned "stretch tuning" and also because it can add excitement. I think it's kinda' bogus to imply that because it's didn't satisfy the tuner needle, the guy must be a hack.

This isn't to say that sometimes people play so high on the pitch that it's distracts from the music cause there's always plenty of that.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

Sharp relative to what, exactly? The ensemble he was playing in, or your tuner?

The only point I'm making is that far more often than some would like to believe, playing in tune with your tuner means you're out of tune with everyone around you.

My point exactly.

I strongly discourage the use of tuners because they take you away from listening. They do not help you learn how to tune at all. If you listen critically to those around you it is not necessary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree you should be listening, but it doesn't hurt to check you're on the money now and then. In fact just like in the Snark video above.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
HeavyKitten

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
I agree you should be listening, but it doesn't hurt to check you're on the money now and then. In fact just like in the Snark video above.
Yeah, I normally just pull out a little too a certain position and tune by ear but every so often I do have to perform I'm abnormal conditions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: