• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

One Year Comeback Anniversay with Caruso

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: One Year Comeback Anniversay with Caruso Reply with quote

Like a lot of trumpet players I keep a journal of my practice sessions. Last February I started my comeback after 12 years of a very sedentary day job/life style.

Since 1968 I had been warming up with the Caruso 6 notes. So after 12 years off, the muscle memory was still there to place the mouthpiece in exactly the same place and blow the horn the same way. My journal for that first day states my face felt like it was going to explode as well as my lungs. Starting on low C, I was able to play up to the top line F on my own Caruso type stuff.

After a year I feel I have regained much of my former level of playing. I recently re-recorded a Christmas Carol on the Comeback forum up to A. I warm-up every day with the 6 notes followed by Harmonics at 60 MM to the 5th hold held for 4 beats. There were times during my career where I could not do that as a result of the type of gig I was playing.

I owe so much to my teachers Bruce Revesz and Carmine Caruso.

During my career other trumpet players would say that I would be playing into my later years due to my embouchure and training. But the Music Business and the pressure of sitting in the hot seat for 30 years made me give up playing. Keeping a wife and putting two children through college playing trumpet in Detroit was quite a challenge.

So at 68 my focus is no where near as strong as it was so there are more missed notes. If I missed a note in a show I would pine for 24 hours until the next show. But now I do not dwell on mistakes anymore.

Sure this is about my favorite subject, but as well as my playing it is a shout out to my very special teachers and the Trumpet Herald Forum.

What a blessing to be able to say I am a Caruso student!
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that Carmine would be proud of you as a comeback player!

Close to the one year anniversary as a comeback player, I wrote this to my trumpet teacher and good friend, Laurie Frink:

Hi Laurie,

My one year anniversary as a comeback trumpet player is coming up on July 29th.

I've created a marriage slogan button to commemorate it:

JUST SAY YES TO....
TRUMPET

What do you think?

JC

Here is her response:

perfect!!

Laurie

I've been going through Laurie's routine for 1 2/ years now. I am going through my lessons that I had with her for 2 years (little more slowly than she had assigned this time). By the end of the two years, I was playing the harmonics up to the13th and the chromatic scale up to G# above high C. I credit that to Laurie. I will get there again. She really improved my overall playing. It was sweet of her to give me a lesson in my fourth month as a comeback player.

It is great to hear from another comeback player on this forum. We were both blessed with wonderful teachers. Thanks for sharing with us. Keep up posted.

Janell

---
Listen to this sample: Michael Haydn Concerto for Trumpet - II (Allegro) -
http://tinyurl.com/hgzhq23
---
shofar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...I was playing the harmonics up to the13th and the chromatic scale up to G# above high C..."

Janell, what is meant by ..."up to the 13th?..." And what chromatic scales are you talking about.

Thanks in advance.

Roger Wood
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, I will send you a PM about this. So, check your mail box.

Janell

---
Listen to this sample: Michael Haydn Concerto for Trumpet - II (Allegro) -
http://tinyurl.com/hgzhq23
---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: