• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

KANSTUL 1530 CORNET

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to purchase this particular Kanstul model cornet...BRAND NEW...for under $1100 and am trying to get as much info on it as possible. Have any of you played/owned this model and, if so, I'd appreciate it if you would you please give me your thoughts. I'm very familiar with Kanstul products as I've owned quite a few. Actually I have previously owned the Custom Class 930 cornet which I thought was a pretty good horn until I got my Schilke A1. The 930 felt a little tight to me especially in the upper register.

I'm not looking for a "legit" sound, per say. My main objective for the horn is two-fold...dixie gigs where I need a bright sound and a guitar/bass/trumpet jazz trio where I need a darker sound. I use the Warburton system so...yes...I do change cups and/or BB's on cornet to make it easier to obtain different tone qualities.

In addition to the sound etc., I'm also looking for a cornet that is FREE BLOWING! Since I'm really not a "CORNET PLAYER", like some of you are, I seem to have a difficult time switching back and forth between trumpet and cornet...possibly due to the trumpet shaped cup that I prefer to play. I also use very small diameter pieces with cups on the shallow side.

ANY info regarding this cornet would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Butch Warnke

PICCOLO TRPT. - '80's Selmer Picc - Lacq.
MOUTHPIECES- All GP-(Trumpet)-Warb. 6ESV/#8 Custom BB (Flugel)-Warb. 6FLM

[ This Message was edited by: maynard-46 on 2003-09-24 17:01 ]
DecentDude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in my opinion, you are wasting money buying the Kanstul 1530 and wasting a great horn as well. Why? If you are looking to remain with the shallow and narrow cups you will never achieve the "true" cornet sound (mellow, lyrical, etc.) for which this horn in primarily intended and designed. It's really more of a British style horn, IMO, than a Bix Beiderbecke instrument.
I'd recommend you look for a good used instrument in the "American Long Cornet" Style. You'd have a wide range of choices, especially among the used models, such as the few examples I've listed below. If you find a good usable horn if the "American" genre, you will be able to easily generate the type of sounds I gather you desire and, as a bonus, many of these horns may be less tiring to play, compared to most trumpets.
Good Luck!
Decent (and somewhat snobbish re: Cornets, LOL) Dude

Reasonable choices: (all cornets)
Olds Ambassador
Olds Special
Olds Studio
Olds Super
Olds Recording
King SilverSonic (or SilverTone if older example.)
King Master
Conn Victor 80 series ( opera glass tuning.)
Conn Connstellation Short Model (kinda heavy, though)

PS:
There are others, to be sure, but the above are horns which one might have a realistic hope of finding at a reasonable price and either in good playing or feasibly restorable shape.
None of these horn are still made, but E-Bay is a sure source (be careful!) as is the Marketplace here at TH.
One last thought. The Kanstul 730, a "Student" model, would be a great horn to check out.
You'll know why so soon as you play one, and you'd avoid the used horn pitfalls.
Keep us posted, OK?
DD
DecentDude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Maynard!
I happened to check E-Bay, after my previous post and found a Kanstul 730, virtually mint (so he says,) for way below new price. Current bid is 385.00 and there's 21 hours left.
Have no idea how to transfer a link, so...
Go the E-Bay, Cornets and Trumpets, Wnding Today, and you'll find it there. Retail is 870.00 and if you can get it for under 550.00 including shipping, it's a steal. .470 bore too!
Rotsa Ruck!
D.Dude
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That person selling the Kanstul 730 would be none other than me.

Mark
http://jazztrpt.freeservers.com
Scootsky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Why you selling?

-Gary Scott
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need money.

Check ebay item #2558755303
Scootsky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2559392204&category=41396&rd=1

-GS

edit-1
To post an E-Bay link using MS's Internet Explorer do a right mouse button click over the address line and select copy from the drop down menu then paste it in your postie.

[ This Message was edited by: Scootsky on 2003-09-25 09:37 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: