• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chicago the Band

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JazzTrumpetGeek91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Chicago the Band Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I'm just discovering "Chicago" The Band for the first time truly. I had listened to their greatest hits album, but I am taking my first deep dive into their albums. I have heard some of their hits through the years, but never actively listened to their music until recently.

I was wondering what some of y'all's favorite Chicago albums and songs are with regard to Lee Loughnane's trumpet playing?

Dig it!
Thanks,
Nate

BAC Custom "Super 72" Bb Trumpet
BAC Custom "Soli Deo Gloria" Bb Trumpet
BAC Custom Flugelhorn (made by John Duda)
ACB Doubler's Piccolo Trumpet
Yamaha Xeno C Trumpet
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not answering your specific question, but your post made me wax nostalgic. I thought I had found the ultimate joy when I first made out with my girlfriend in junior high school. Then, along came Chicago Transit Authority.....A different kind of bliss. A half century-plus later, making out is not so impressive, but Chicago is still wonderful.
Enjoy!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you check out "Free".
https://youtu.be/5VK77V4hWTo
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
john4860

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first few (10?) Chicago albums are considered classic rock and roll albums.
Lee Loughnane's trumpet, James Pankow's trombone and Walt Parazaider's saxophone are considered the premiere rock horn frontline.

They blended together into some of the coolest horn lines of all time. The three horns sounded as one.

Here's the Wikipedia article for the band itself. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_(band)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Chicago the Band Reply with quote

JazzTrumpetGeek91 wrote:
I was wondering what some of y'all's favorite Chicago albums and songs are with regard to Lee Loughnane's trumpet playing?

"Does Anybody Really Know what Time it is?" Iconic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FzCWLOHUes

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
poketrum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kath was in a league of his own. I always felt that band should have packed it in after he was gone.
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poketrum wrote:
Terry Kath was in a league of his own. I always felt that band should have packed it in after he was gone.

Terry was a wonderful guitarist and vocalist. He played every solo as if it were his last day on earth. I always thought he was the guitar equivalent of a test pilot.
I remember reading an article on the group after Terry passed and they brought in Donny Dacus.
They contemplated packing it in I guess. The writer mentioned that the group had started watching where they're money went and took care of business. They were only 32-33 at the time when this article appeared. The article mentioned that no one would ever need to work again if they decided to close up shop.
jcheze

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho, their original sound is showcased on the first 3 albums. And I agree that after around Chicago 10, not so much.

However, Chicago 7 is a masterpiece, especially Aire.
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
poketrum wrote:

Terry was a wonderful guitarist and vocalist. He played every solo as if it were his last day on earth. I always thought he was the guitar equivalent of a test pilot.
I remember reading an article on the group after Terry passed and they brought in Donny Dacus.
They contemplated packing it in I guess. The writer mentioned that the group had started watching where they're money went and took care of business. They were only 32-33 at the time when this article appeared. The article mentioned that no one would ever need to work again if they decided to close up shop.

I certainly can't deny Terry's talents or contributions to the group, and a wonderful group it was and is. My wife has always been a huge fan.

Back in the late 1970s while I was stationed in the UP of Michigan, we'd venture down to the Milwaukee area for live concerts (IIRC, it was the Alpine Valley Music Theatre in Troy). The last time we heard the band with Terry, they seemed pretty lackluster. Might have been a bad night, I suppose, but we were disappointed.

Then they lost Terry. We heard them the following season with new personnel and were quite impressed. They seemed to have attained a new energy level and to have tightened things up. We attributed it to their need to rehearse a little harder to break in the new guy.

I suppose it's impossible to generalize based on comparing just two specific live performances. But my thought at the time was that while a kick in the nuts hurts, it sometimes gets your attention when you need to have your attention gotten.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poketrum wrote:

While I understand your sentiment, I am sure glad they didn't. Look at all the great music they have made since his passing. The band had locked in since the early 1980s with a consistent "second" Chicago for almost 30 years, but in the last few years has seen tremendous change. Now, with Walt retired, the original members still playing are down to three (Lee, Jimmy, Robert). Having seen them several times and in different settings, I have my favorites.

And I am glad to say that I've always enjoyed their performances.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Scooter Pirtle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kath was lightning in a bottle. Such a loss:

https://youtu.be/7uAUoz7jimg

Check out “Dialogue Pts 1 & 2”, “Poem for the People” and (as mentioned) “Free” for some great trumpet work.

Also check out the music from “Electra Glide in Blue” for some “cloaked Chicago”. Chicago members play bad guys too. Great film. The opening music is amazing. The final piece “Tell Me” is a Terry Kath masterpiece. And he doesn’t even play guitar in it!
Yamaha Chicago C Gen III
www.middlehornleader.com
RL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7OSx1yPu_w

Some nice brassplaying at the end
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
poketrum wrote:

While I understand your sentiment, I am sure glad they didn't. Look at all the great music they have made since his passing. The band had locked in since the early 1980s with a consistent "second" Chicago for almost 30 years, but in the last few years has seen tremendous change. Now, with Walt retired, the original members still playing are down to three (Lee, Jimmy, Robert). Having seen them several times and in different settings, I have my favorites.

And I am glad to say that I've always enjoyed their performances.

AL

Back around 81 a guy I went to Berklee with went on tour playing keyboard with a band that opened for several big names on a summer tour. I forget the name of the band, but they had 2-3 albums out on Epic Records. The only names I remember that they opened for was Chicago and Charley Daniels. They opened several shows for both.
My friend Scott said that Chicago seemed to have a lot of internal issues. A few of the guys weren't even speaking to each other at the time. He got the impression they were going to pack it in. This was just his impression of what was going on.
On a positive note, he loved opening for Charley Daniels. Said he was a great guy who loved putting on a good show and kicking back with a few beers afterward. No pretense, he was the same off stage as he was on stage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: