• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Acceptable Trumpet for beginning Student (Inexpensive/Free?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
howardpo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

My 9 year old son is starting trumpet in band this year. He's really excited and wants a nice piece of equipment, but we can't really afford it. Does anybody out there have something they're willing to sell, or possibly donate? I'd hate to buy one of the cheapo brands because it is all we can afford and possibly have him quit because the instrument is giving him problems.

Help,

Howard
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been said a zillion times. Olds Ambassador. Ebay, $100 to $150. Built like a tank, plays like a pro, lots of 'em around.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in the process of aquiring a horn for my son to play on, I play tested a decent selection of new and used horns. The best one of the bunch was a used King, but the one that I ended up getting for him and a close, close second playing wise (very similar playing characterisitcs) was a Holton 602.

But also, to go along with what Tootsall said, we (I) play tested a couple of Olds Ambassadors that were very decent as well, and decently priced.

I bought the Holton for a couple of reasons.

1. It played very well
2. It was new and shiny (I know, I know. But I remember being the ONLY kid in band with a cornet, and it was a real beater.)
3. It is put together (IMO) better than other student model horns.
4. I could't beat the price. I'm friends with the owner of the music store, so I bought it for cost plus shipping, plus a percet or so. At that price, it would have been silly for me to rent to buy, and it wasn't substantially more than what the used horns were selling for, although I'm sure I could have gotten him to swing me a deal on one of those too.
5. It played well enough that I would have no reservations about taking it on a gig. It's a little tight in the upper register, but it would be manageable.

My $.02, for what it's worth.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used Student Line Yamaha's (the newer ones) aren't bad either ... I think 2320's .... pretty consistent just like their pro-line's. This is another great bang for the buck just liek the Ambassador's.

Good luck!
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i to agree w/ the olds horn... just find one that is purdy... i remember as a kid how differntly the kids that got a nice horn vs those that played their older brothers old marching horn (which was beat beyond hell and looked like it came out of the lower extreams of ones body) played the horns... the kids w/ the nice horns practiced much more frequently... ultamatly making them the better players of the groups

i'd however ask the band director about a cornet... they may not be the "cool" horn to play but for a beginner they are by far the better choice... i still don't see why bands push the trumpet over the the cornet especaly for beginners.

mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cheechoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard,

If you end up with a horn and no mouthpiece, let me know. I will donate a good one for the cause.
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet gear head's student trumpet buying guide:

http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/Student%20trumpets.html

-marc
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe it's best if you get an old's ambassador, however, if you feel your son will practice a lot harder when seeing a shining new horn, then u might as well spend an extra $50 or so and get him something newer.

it probably won't play as well as the ambassador, but if your son takes care of it (ie, no dings and scratches etc), when your financial situation improves, you can resell your olds and get a newer horn or perhaps a pro horn if he's really into it.

best place is to look around ebay. lots of good deals there
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't advise what to buy. But a friend bought his son one of those Indian made trumpets on ebay. It was total crapola. Stay away from anything made in India or China.

Tim
Seinman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed Kanstul Music are advertising a Bach copy for $800, and an offer for 20 payments of $40 to buy it. If it is like all the other Kanstuls then you can't go wrong. Your son will have a shining new horn made by one of the best and you only have to shell out $40 a month. HTH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: